• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gut stasis and critical care

I'm sorry she is back at the vets but it sounds like they know what they are doing. It takes a lot to be patient when your pet is I'll but hopefully she will improve soon x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Thank you.

Vet called, she's apparently been bright, alert and naughty, keeps chewing through her drip line. However, no poos and only a little nibbling, being syringe feed every four hours. I'm going to go in visit her, there are no visiting hours, you just have to tell them when you want to be there. The vet thinks it will help as she's very bonded with me, plus I can take her the things she normally eats from the garden. I'll be there in a few hours, just need to feed myself and my other bunny who is a bit bemused about all this.

Thank you.

Vet called, she's apparently been bright, alert and naughty, keeps chewing through her drip line. However, no poos and only a little nibbling, being syringe feed every four hours. I'm going to go in visit her, there are no visiting hours, you just have to tell them when you want to be there. The vet thinks it will help as she's very bonded with me, plus I can take her the things she normally eats from the garden. I'll be there in a few hours, just need to feed myself and my other bunny who is a bit bemused about all this.

Aaawww I always visit mine and take herbs and stuff and it perks them up to have different food and see me again.

One of my rabbits they let hop around on the floor in a consult room with his drip, and he jumped on my friend's rucksack and did a pee he was so delighted :)

Aaawww I always visit mine and take herbs and stuff and it perks them up to have different food and see me again.

One of my rabbits they let hop around on the floor in a consult room with his drip, and he jumped on my friend's rucksack and did a pee he was so delighted :)

:lol:

This morning I've heard she's eating and pooing but they want to keep her on a drip for a while longer. They will make an assessment this afternoon about whether she is ready to come home. I'm really pleased with her progress.

Last night, they let me into the rabbit room. She was looking weary, bedraggled and frightened but relaxed after lots of stroking. I was planning to stoke her first to relax her then try to get her to eat but all she managed was a hazel leaf, she just kept asking for more petting, nudging my hand and positioning her head underneath it. I stayed for an hour and 10 mins but they needed me to leave so they could clean up and re-attach drips etc.

I've never been to the inside of an animal hospital before. She was in something resembling a dog crate but with solid metal sides, back, floor and roof. It was larger than I was expecting. There was a beautiful big brown bunny in the one below her who was frantically tearing up newspaper but relaxed when Millie did and went to sleep. Bunny emotions are so contagious! The nurses were lovely despite the fact that Millie had been communicating her passionate views on syringe feeding.

When I got home I wanted to spend time with my lost-looking other bunny but was so exhausted I just lay on the shed floor. Luckily jumping on and off me a lot restored his spirits and reset his appetite to greedy.

This morning I've heard she's eating and pooing but they want to keep her on a drip for a while longer. They will make an assessment this afternoon about whether she is ready to come home. I'm really pleased with her progress.

Last night, they let me into the rabbit room. She was looking weary, bedraggled and frightened but relaxed after lots of stroking. I was planning to stoke her first to relax her then try to get her to eat but all she managed was a hazel leaf, she just kept asking for more petting, nudging my hand and positioning her head underneath it. I stayed for an hour and 10 mins but they needed me to leave so they could clean up and re-attach drips etc.

I've never been to the inside of an animal hospital before. She was in something resembling a dog crate but with solid metal sides, back, floor and roof. It was larger than I was expecting. There was a beautiful big brown bunny in the one below her who was frantically tearing up newspaper but relaxed when Millie did and went to sleep. Bunny emotions are so contagious! The nurses were lovely despite the fact that Millie had been communicating her passionate views on syringe feeding.

When I got home I wanted to spend time with my lost-looking other bunny but was so exhausted I just lay on the shed floor. Luckily jumping on and off me a lot restored his spirits and reset his appetite to greedy.

Oh Moonstone what a time you're having!

She must have been so very pleased to see you and you reassured her a lot. And think of those wonderful bunny vibes spreading through the hospital :love:

One of mine was hospitalised recently and took a friend along. The friend was busy eating most of the food most of the time in the big dog crate, but when I went back at the end of the day to collect them my vet told me a lovely story.

Bunny was being sedated for a GA and although friend was so pleased to have so much food (which doesn't happen at home), as soon as poorly bunny slumped with the sedation the friend came and stretched out all along the length of poorly one and kept company until taken for the operation. I thought that was very touching, and my vet was very moved by that behaviour :)

Topping up the vibes for you!

Oh Moonstone what a time you're having!

She must have been so very pleased to see you and you reassured her a lot. And think of those wonderful bunny vibes spreading through the hospital :love:

One of mine was hospitalised recently and took a friend along. The friend was busy eating most of the food most of the time in the big dog crate, but when I went back at the end of the day to collect them my vet told me a lovely story.

Bunny was being sedated for a GA and although friend was so pleased to have so much food (which doesn't happen at home), as soon as poorly bunny slumped with the sedation the friend came and stretched out all along the length of poorly one and kept company until taken for the operation. I thought that was very touching, and my vet was very moved by that behaviour :)

Topping up the vibes for you!

Awww. That's so sweet! :love:

It just shows you should keep them together if you can.

And thank you, wonderful bunny vibes are a lovely idea. :)

Really helped me being there too, it's hard just waiting.

:D:wave:

Have you any news Moonstone?

Groundhog day. She's not well enough to come home, still not eating pellets. I went in to see her shortly after they had to move her cannula from her leg to a little ear (too much chewing went on). It took two hours to move the cannulas of two bunnies and she was really shaken up, actually ran away in fear when she saw me but I took her out of the crate for a change of scene and held her on my lap on the floor. She calmed right down, the other bunny also calmed down. She has more energy and she was definitely more willing to nibble than yesterday but I just have to wait for that call tomorrow morning.

Groundhog day. She's not well enough to come home, still not eating pellets. I went in to see her shortly after they had to move her cannula from her leg to a little ear (too much chewing went on). It took two hours to move the cannulas of two bunnies and she was really shaken up, actually ran away in fear when she saw me but I took her out of the crate for a change of scene and held her on my lap on the floor. She calmed right down, the other bunny also calmed down. She has more energy and she was definitely more willing to nibble than yesterday but I just have to wait for that call tomorrow morning.

Oh dear, topping up the vibes.

I really hope you can get some rest. If she comes home I guess you'll still be on feeding etc duty x

She's sleepy in this picture as I'd been stroking her. Today they are putting her onto oral medicines only and if she copes she's coming home and yep, I'll be on feeding duty.

Back