• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will neutering stop his destructive behaviour?

Jo93

Young Bun
Twix is due to be neutered tomorrow which although I'm anxious about, I'm also quite hopeful that it will help with his destructive behaviour.

Recently he has been an absolute nightmare. He is an indoor bunny and doesn't have a cage at all, he is completely free roam, so I don't believe there's an issue to do with not enough space.

He seems to find something new and then become obsessed with it until it's destroyed! He's recently managed to find out how to get on top of the kitchen counter, which means he has discovered new things to chew and destroy...he's already worked his way through 3 pot plants, my wooden chopping board and various letters and pieces of paper! I know it's not necessarily the end of the world, but it's just very frustrating. I'm running out of ways and ideas to stop him getting to the kitchen counter for starters...

So I'm hoping that after he's been neutered tomorrow, this destructive behaviour will calm down a bit? Or could it be something else?

Well I certainly hope neutering will help. Does your rabbit have lots of hay to keep him busy, being grazing animals this is what they do naturally and if there is not enough hay they can become naughty. Are you considering getting him a friend as this would also help him? When he comes home from his neuter, he mustn't be allowed to jump on your work top, or anything else that is fairly high up, not for a couple of days. He should be restricted really in a puppy pen or similar. Is he litter trained by the way? He sounds really bored. Good luck for tomorrow.

He sounds lonely and bored (and a bit naughty). Have you thought about having him bonded with a spayed female once he has been castrated for about two months - bunnies are usually much happier in pairs. If you were to choose a rabbit from a Rescue (they have different ages from kits to older) they may be able to do the bonding for you. Yes, lots of hay helps as it keeps them occupied, as well as being their most important food.

Last edited:
Well I certainly hope neutering will help. Does your rabbit have lots of hay to keep him busy, being grazing animals this is what they do naturally and if there is not enough hay they can become naughty. Are you considering getting him a friend as this would also help him? When he comes home from his neuter, he mustn't be allowed to jump on your work top, or anything else that is fairly high up, not for a couple of days. He should be restricted really in a puppy pen or similar. Is he litter trained by the way? He sounds really bored. Good luck for tomorrow.

It makes me sad to think that he's bored :( He has so many toys and I spend ATLEAST an hour with him everyday trying to interact.... if not longer. I suppose I have always wondered how to best "play" with him?

He is by himself... I haven't considered a second bunny yet because I don't know whether I'd be able to afford twice the amount of things.

And yes he is litter trained.

He sounds lonely and bored (and a bit naughty). Have you thought about having him bonded with a spayed female once he has been castrated for about two months - bunnies are usually much happier in pairs. If you were to choose a rabbit from a Rescue (they have different ages from kits to older) they may be able to do the bonding for you. Yes, lots of hay helps as it keeps them occupied, as well as being their most important food.

As above - haven't considered a second bun, only because of the costs really. Although if he continues to be destructive after the op maybe it's something I should really consider.

Sorry the replies sound rather negative. Let us know how he is post neuter, sometimes a rabbit can change noticeably.

As above - haven't considered a second bun, only because of the costs really. Although if he continues to be destructive after the op maybe it's something I should really consider.

He would almost certainly be happier if he were bonded with a spayed female ... and you would get a great deal of pleasure from watching them interact, groom each other etc.
You do have to consider costs, though. I don't think the extra nuggets would be an issue as they eat so few - two eggcupfuls a day (for two adults) is hardly worth bothering about. Obviously - as hay should form at least 80% of their diet - this would be more expensive for two, but you can buy very high quality hay on-line at a much better price than from a pet shop.
The real price hike comes with possible vet costs for two rather than one. I think most people insure their rabbits so a large proportion of vet costs would be reimbursed. A good diet, based on high quality hay rather than pellets, can certainly help with the prevention of common health issues. The other option some people choose is to have a special 'rabbits' savings account. Two lots of vaccinations and boosters, of course.
I hope the neuter goes well!

Back