Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: RHD2 More Cases :-( Update November 2018

This is terrible news, I am so sorry

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bam & Charlie

I'm so sorry :'( RHD2 really is the worst, it's bad enough but when it kills a vaccinated rabbit it makes me very scared like even if I take all the precautions, it still might not be enough

Sent via carrier pigeon

2 confirmed cases of rabbits dying from RHD in Gillingham, Kent.

Both rabbits were vaccinated against RHD 1 but the vets messed up their RHD2 vaccinations.

The lab didn't test for the strain of RHD that Spencer had, and despite initially offering to pay for further tests to determine the strain Vets4Pets have decided that they are no longer willing to test for this.

Quote Originally Posted by zarathustra View Post

Both rabbits were vaccinated against RHD 1 but the vets messed up their RHD2 vaccinations.

The lab didn't test for the strain of RHD that Spencer had, and despite initially offering to pay for further tests to determine the strain Vets4Pets have decided that they are no longer willing to test for this.
    Im so sorry

Sent via carrier pigeon

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    I'm so sorry :'( RHD2 really is the worst, it's bad enough but when it kills a vaccinated rabbit it makes me very scared like even if I take all the precautions, it still might not be enough

Sent via carrier pigeon

You're right, it's very scary

However, many vets believe that if we 'herd' vaccinate we can apply some sort of control to the spread.

Vaccination is the ONLY hope of survival, so folks please don't be put off by rabbits who pass away even though vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by zarathustra View Post

Oh no, I'm so very sorry

You both have had enough heartache.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duchess View Post
    Hello Folks.

Sadly this is true. I had already closed the rescue to new admissions a while back because of family circumstances but was still continuing to rehome those bunnies already here who are not sanctuary bunnies. All of the 60+ bunnies here (with the exception of two very poorly rabbits who we felt should not be done at this time) are vaccinated. I have RHD2 vaccinated all rabbits since the Filavac vaccine arrived in the UK 4 years ago. I will now be undergoing a revaccination of all bunnies due more than 4-6 months ahead. And all bonding has been cancelled.

This link explains (taken from the rescue page) https://www.facebook.com/22420343429...5064655537250/

Thanks for posting this.

I have copied below what you put on the rescue page as not all members here are on Facebook.
    Please let me know if this isn't acceptable and I shall delete it.

RESCUE UPDATE
    First I would like to thank all of you who have commented or sent private messages offering. condolences on the recent bunny losses and also for supportive messages when I announced officially that I was closing my doors.

When I posted to convey the news, I mentioned that I had lost a dear bunny and it had been the straw that broke the camelís back. The bunny that passed away was dearest Sprout, the amazing wee blue mini lop boy who had been bonded to a clientís bunny only a week before.
    I had been cleaning out all day, watching all of the bunnies and came in for supper. Went back to put the bunnies to bed and found him in his forever sleep. No rhyme, no reason and certainly no symptoms of anything untoward or any change in behaviour.
    Sprout was fully vaccinated and so was is his widow. I took him to the vets first thing the next day to discuss possibly obvious problems and we decided due to the way he went, the way I found him, the time span and because he was vaccinated and seemingly healthy, that he had possibly choked. I took him home.

Following a conversation with another vet the next day (who confirmed that there had been a definite case of RHD2 at their practice of a vaccinated and apparently healthy rabbit) I did opt to do a PCR test at his recommendation.

Today the worst news possible, Sprout was confirmed positive for RHD2. He had two months to go before he was due his booster.

All other bunnies are fit and well (other than those who have known ailments of course) so what we make of this I am not sure.
    So I ask you to please be extra cautious, especially when you go to a vet practice (especially if they have had confirmed cases) because it may be that even our vaccinated bunnies are at some amount of risk now. Wear different shoes, change your clothes, be thoughtful about where you put your pet carrier as the floor will have been walked on by so many dog walkers, cat owners and those who have lost rabbits unexpectedly.
    Sad times for every bunny owner when vaccination is no longer enough. No vaccination is perfect of course, I understand that, but I have to ask why him, why now and why not the other 60+ vaccinated bunnies here in my care.

And I will be taking extra steps to ensure that all bunnies here are as safe as they can be by increasing infection control.

Reported via RHD2 page UK Rabbit Welfare

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756

Burnley Lancashire - confirmed RHD2 in rabbit vaccinated with Eravac

"Confirmed RHD2 death on 20th October (full PM including PCR test) of 16-week old rabbit, vaccinated at 7 weeks 4 days old with Eravac.

No sign whatsoever, acting completely normal at 4pm but found dead at 9pm"

Reported via RHD2 page UK Rabbit Welfare

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756

Confirmed RHD2 Malvern Worcestershire "Rabbit Rescue and Friends"

They were new arrivals on site to the Rescue. Now on lockdown until March.

Some further details about this:

Rabbit rescue and friends has been rescuing and re homing for almost 5 years now, weíve had times of great sadness, times of immense joy, many times of financial hardship and we are so pleased and grateful to still be going strong thanks to all of our wonderful supporters. But nothing will ever compare to this weeks absolutely soul Destroying news.....
    VHD2 autopsy results confirmed. (We sadly lost two new arrivals on site to vhd2)😢.... This is without doubt any rescues worst nightmare, and itís now become our reality.
    what does this mean for the rescue?
    It means temporary closure! Sadly we will be unable to take in any rabbits or adopt any out until the beginning of March. This of course means no on site visits from the public. This is a precautionary measure to ensure the virus isnít spread.
    Myself and my small dedicated voluntary team will carry on working hard to ensure all day to day needs are met for our beautiful bunnies, and ensure they are kept happy and mentally stimulated while they patiently wait for our lock down to be lifted and can all find the loving homes they so desperately deserve.
    We wonít be able to take any reservations until the end February but we will be sure to keep our Facebook page spammed with updates on our furry residents.
    How will we cope financially?
    Without the regular adoption donations we are going to have to work extra hard to find new ways to raise the funds needed to keep the rescue ticking over and We welcome any suggestions from you guys. We will soon be arranging sponsorships for our current residents. This will be £8 a month and you will receive monthly email updates on your sponsored bunny. We will also be doing our best to attend as many craft sales/open days/ Christmas markets as we can, and we are always grateful for donations of sellable items.
    On a personal note, I would just like to thank each and every person who has supported the rescue so far, and I hope your support may continue through the next 4 months and there after. I wish I had the time to thank you all individually and explain just how much of a difference your help makes. I could not do this single handedly, running this rescue is such a team effort ❤️ and Iím honoured to be a part of it.
    Please keep all our dear bunnies in your thoughts.
    Yours faithfully,
    Jai x
    * please be assured all our rabbits are fully vaccinated on or before arrival. The 2 we sadly lost were vaccinated a few days before arriving but were sadly already carrying the virus, unbeknown to previous owners or ourselves *

Wise Old Thumper

Terribly sad and concerning news

My two are booked to have their Filavac on Monday at my vets. Tethra is a couple of weeks early and Tui about 3 months. I'm quite concerned about taking them to the vets!

I don't remember any reports on here about vets being concerned about rabbits they have treated, which have then been found to have had RHD2. I presume that they would need to make sure they prevented the virus spreading to future patients

The picture presenting itself about this virus seems bleak to me
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans