Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 354

Thread: RHD2 More Cases :-( Update November 2018

  1. #21
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,361

    Default

    I'm really pleased to see vets taking to the press to talk about the dangers of not vaccinating:

    https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...paign=sharebar

    The Head of the Veterinary Practice in Helston says one of their clients had devastatingly lost six of her nine pet rabbits from the deadly virus.

    "These rabbits were very well cared for and had not left their enclosed garden, which worryingly indicates the virus - which is extremely contagious - may have been carried in by wildlife.

    "There is no treatment available once a rabbit has contracted the virus and they are likely to die very suddenly without prior signs of illness."

  2. #22
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,361

    Default

    From RWAF

    Gateshead NE9

    One of a pair of unvaccinated but otherwise fit and healthy young rabbits has passed away from very strongly suspected RVHD. He had been off colour and was admitted by the vet who suspected the illness. He was treated with antibiotics and a drip but passed away within 6 hours. A PM was performed and he had haemorrhaged into his lungs. Samples have been sent for testing.

    The surviving rabbit has been vaccinated but there are concerns that he is under the weather. Whether this means he's infected, or just missing his brother it isn't yet known.

    At the same time it was reported that the lady had heard of a case in Washington (which borders different postcode areas including mostly NE37 but also NE10, DH3 and DH4) where 3 otherwise healthy rabbits in the same household passed away within a few hours of each other.


    Since this report, the other rabbit has sadly passed away

  3. #23
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    From RWAF

    Gateshead NE9

    One of a pair of unvaccinated but otherwise fit and healthy young rabbits has passed away from very strongly suspected RVHD. He had been off colour and was admitted by the vet who suspected the illness. He was treated with antibiotics and a drip but passed away within 6 hours. A PM was performed and he had haemorrhaged into his lungs. Samples have been sent for testing.

    The surviving rabbit has been vaccinated but there are concerns that he is under the weather. Whether this means he's infected, or just missing his brother it isn't yet known.

    At the same time it was reported that the lady had heard of a case in Washington (which borders different postcode areas including mostly NE37 but also NE10, DH3 and DH4) where 3 otherwise healthy rabbits in the same household passed away within a few hours of each other.
    It's ridiculous... Don't all vets say ah here's your vaccination - now come back in two weeks for the second vaccination?! My original very un rabbit savvy vet said that to me..

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  4. #24
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    136,417

    Default

    Conclusion of this case which was reported on 3rd July can be viewed here. Yet more evidence of the importance of vaccinating

    https://p-upload.facebook.com/groups...1361893350995/


    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF)- The UK'S biggest and best organisation for Rabbit lovers

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Rabbit Health and Diseases, a list of useful online information

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2- VACCINATION IS ESSENTIAL

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...60#post7041560

  5. #25
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Conclusion of this case which was reported on 3rd July can be viewed here. Yet more evidence of the importance of vaccinating

    https://p-upload.facebook.com/groups...1361893350995/
    I just don't understand how people cannot know every vet I've seen mentions it.. I didn't have good vets at the beginning, and when I had Penelope and Apricot vaccinated I went to p@h for free vaccine and even one of their vets said to me 'two weeks time book in for their second vaccine'

    It's so rubbish. We should do something about it...

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  6. #26
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    136,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    I just don't understand how people cannot know every vet I've seen mentions it.. I didn't have good vets at the beginning, and when I had Penelope and Apricot vaccinated I went to p@h for free vaccine and even one of their vets said to me 'two weeks time book in for their second vaccine'

    It's so rubbish. We should do something about it...

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    The RWAF have and are doing so much to update and inform Vets/Petshops/BRC about it all. If it were not for Richard Saunders (one of the RWAF Veterinary Advisors) we may not even have a licensed vaccine against RHD2 yet. His CEVA award for Vet of the Year was very much deserved.

    But of course there will be a few Veterinary Professionals who do not take on board the serious threat RHD poses. Those Vets really are in the minority now though. It's poor advice from Pet Shops, where most 'new to Rabbits' people obtain their Pets go, that can be a far bigger problem. If accurate advice were given at point of sale then I believe there would be a lot less heartbreak.
    Last edited by Jack's-Jane; 29-08-2018 at 04:39 PM.


    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF)- The UK'S biggest and best organisation for Rabbit lovers

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Rabbit Health and Diseases, a list of useful online information

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2- VACCINATION IS ESSENTIAL

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...60#post7041560

  7. #27
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    It's ridiculous... Don't all vets say ah here's your vaccination - now come back in two weeks for the second vaccination?! My original very un rabbit savvy vet said that to me..

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

    You would think so, wouldn't you?

    Many vets sadly don't even recognise it as a problem.

    I wish they would read the reports that are coming out.
    Then they might see how serious it really is

  8. #28
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Conclusion of this case which was reported on 3rd July can be viewed here. Yet more evidence of the importance of vaccinating

    https://p-upload.facebook.com/groups...1361893350995/

    Everyone is of course welcome to post on this thread

    I would ask though, that if quoting a Facebook link, that you copy and paste it here, or provide an alternative non-Facebook link if possible. It's viewed by so many people without Facebook accounts, so I go to great pains to keep this thread updated. The information is then available to people like myself, who don't have a personal Facebook account.

    Thank you

  9. #29
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    136,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Everyone is of course welcome to post on this thread

    I would ask though, that if quoting a Facebook link, that you copy and paste it here, or provide an alternative non-Facebook link if possible. It's viewed by so many people without Facebook accounts, so I go to great pains to keep this thread updated. The information is then available to people like myself, who don't have a personal Facebook account.

    Thank you
    Initial post from RWAF dated 3rd July

    ''Gateshead NE9
    One of a pair of unvaccinated but otherwise fit and healthy young rabbits has passed away from very strongly suspected RVHD. He had been off colour and was admitted by the vet who suspected the illness. He was treated with antibiotics and a drip but passed away within 6 hours. A PM was performed and he had haemorrhaged into his lungs. Samples have been sent for testing.

    The surviving rabbit has been vaccinated but there are concerns that he is under the weather. Whether this means he's infected, or just missing his brother it isn't yet known.

    At the same time it was reported that the lady had heard of a case in Washington (which borders different postcode areas including mostly NE37 but also NE10, DH3 and DH4) where 3 otherwise healthy rabbits in the same household passed away within a few hours of each other.''


    Follow up 1 from RWAF :

    '' We've heard again from the owner in Gateshead, the second rabbit has passed away overnight sadly. Both these rabbits were young and otherwise completely healthy''

    Follow up 2 from RWAF


    ''The previously reported loss of two rabbits in Gateshead, NE9, are now confirmed as RVHD2 by lab testing. Both young, otherwise completely healthy, binkying around the day before. They'd had Nobivac but no vaccine to protect them against this. The lady who was caring for them has several rabbits of her own who are vaccinated and are all fine''


    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF)- The UK'S biggest and best organisation for Rabbit lovers

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Rabbit Health and Diseases, a list of useful online information

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2- VACCINATION IS ESSENTIAL

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...60#post7041560

  10. #30
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Initial post from RWAF dated 3rd July

    ''Gateshead NE9
    One of a pair of unvaccinated but otherwise fit and healthy young rabbits has passed away from very strongly suspected RVHD. He had been off colour and was admitted by the vet who suspected the illness. He was treated with antibiotics and a drip but passed away within 6 hours. A PM was performed and he had haemorrhaged into his lungs. Samples have been sent for testing.

    The surviving rabbit has been vaccinated but there are concerns that he is under the weather. Whether this means he's infected, or just missing his brother it isn't yet known.

    At the same time it was reported that the lady had heard of a case in Washington (which borders different postcode areas including mostly NE37 but also NE10, DH3 and DH4) where 3 otherwise healthy rabbits in the same household passed away within a few hours of each other.''


    Follow up 1 from RWAF :

    '' We've heard again from the owner in Gateshead, the second rabbit has passed away overnight sadly. Both these rabbits were young and otherwise completely healthy''

    Follow up 2 from RWAF


    ''The previously reported loss of two rabbits in Gateshead, NE9, are now confirmed as RVHD2 by lab testing. Both young, otherwise completely healthy, binkying around the day before. They'd had Nobivac but no vaccine to protect them against this. The lady who was caring for them has several rabbits of her own who are vaccinated and are all fine''

    TY

    It seems to be what I've already reported in post #22

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •