• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Penelope and Apricot :)

Graciee

Staff member
First two are of Penelope, the picture of them together - Apricot is at the front, then the last three are of Apricot... She's a funny bun [emoji38]

And we've had some binkys :D
6c50dd4214ad2b51631917229b2a56bd.jpg
b9a2f12dcf4216b3395205073edcb2a7.jpg
01da7a4fa3346b2a57afb6576ac3f844.jpg
9a5dec71c47256d5d4555bd8608eac9f.jpg
3ae372662b7b74824a32769b9822f905.jpg
b5d1c95dc089a307a2185846ff46f358.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Beautiful girlies :love: Interesting sleeping position on that last photo :lol: A little fun fact if you didn't know, the markings on Californian rabbits tend to get darker the colder it gets, so by winter you might find that their ears and nose have gone darker and they might even have dark feet too

Beautiful girlies :love: Interesting sleeping position on that last photo [emoji38] A little fun fact if you didn't know, the markings on Californian rabbits tend to get darker the colder it gets, so by winter you might find that their ears and nose have gone darker and they might even have dark feet too
Ooo I didn't know that! Will be interesting to see if that happens :D

Beautiful girlies :love: Interesting sleeping position on that last photo :lol: A little fun fact if you didn't know, the markings on Californian rabbits tend to get darker the colder it gets, so by winter you might find that their ears and nose have gone darker and they might even have dark feet too

Ah, that's very interesting, as Tui's markings have become much lighter in the 4 months that we have had her :)

They are both gorgeous, Grace, and they both look very contented with each other and with their new home :love:

I love them. They look like they have really big characters.

Does the marking thing apply to himilayans too cos Boo's changes alot. Not that I know shes himalayan

I love them. They look like they have really big characters.

Does the marking thing apply to himilayans too cos Boo's changes alot. Not that I know shes himalayan

I know it applies to any breed of rabbit that has himalayan markings (Himalayan is a breed itself but also the name of the colouring, so you can get lops, lionheads, rexes etc that have himalayan markings) :) Apparently it's likely to be an evolutionary thing, as it gets colder the rabbits extremities (coldest parts of their body) would turn black so that they would absorb more heat from the sunlight.

I know it applies to any breed of rabbit that has himalayan markings (Himalayan is a breed itself but also the name of the colouring, so you can get lops, lionheads, rexes etc that have himalayan markings) :) Apparently it's likely to be an evolutionary thing, as it gets colder the rabbits extremities (coldest parts of their body) would turn black so that they would absorb more heat from the sunlight.

Fascinating, thank you. So Boo is likely a lop with himilayan markings but doesn't necessarily have himalayan in her?

I guess the colouring thing is similar in principle to artic hares

Fascinating, thank you. So Boo is likely a lop with himilayan markings but doesn't necessarily have himalayan in her?

I guess the colouring thing is similar in principle to artic hares

Yep so rabbits with these markings are rarely Himalayan cross breeds.

Back many many years generations ago someone will have thought 'a lop would look good with himalayan markings' and bred a lop to a Himalayan breed rabbit (or another breed that has Himalayan markings already). The early cross breeds would not have looked like a purebred lop at all, so the cross breeds would get bred back to a purebred lop, and their babies again bred back to a purebred and so on until you get a rabbit that looks like a purebred lop but still has the markings of a Himalayan. These first gen cross breeds would be 50% Himalayan(breed), every time the offspring are bred back to a purebred lop then the 'amount' of Himalayan(breed) halves so six generations later the rabbits would be less than 1% Himalayan(breed). It would only take a breeder a few years to breed six generations of rabbits and rabbits with these markings have been around for quite a while so these days rex/mini lop/lionhead/netherland dwarf etc that have those markings are probably less than 0.1% Himalayan(breed).

It's really confusing especially when there's a colour/marking pattern with the same name as a breed of rabbit. Chinchilla and Lilac are other examples that are both a breed and a name for a colour. Something else I see a lot is people thinking that because their rabbit has spots, they must be an English spot crossbreed

Yep so rabbits with these markings are rarely Himalayan cross breeds.

Back many many years generations ago someone will have thought 'a lop would look good with himalayan markings' and bred a lop to a Himalayan breed rabbit (or another breed that has Himalayan markings already). The early cross breeds would not have looked like a purebred lop at all, so the cross breeds would get bred back to a purebred lop, and their babies again bred back to a purebred and so on until you get a rabbit that looks like a purebred lop but still has the markings of a Himalayan. These first gen cross breeds would be 50% Himalayan(breed), every time the offspring are bred back to a purebred lop then the 'amount' of Himalayan(breed) halves so six generations later the rabbits would be less than 1% Himalayan(breed). It would only take a breeder a few years to breed six generations of rabbits and rabbits with these markings have been around for quite a while so these days rex/mini lop/lionhead/netherland dwarf etc that have those markings are probably less than 0.1% Himalayan(breed).

It's really confusing especially when there's a colour/marking pattern with the same name as a breed of rabbit. Chinchilla and Lilac are other examples that are both a breed and a name for a colour. Something else I see a lot is people thinking that because their rabbit has spots, they must be an English spot crossbreed

This gets more interesting by the minute. Can you tell what Mouse is?

First two are of Penelope, the picture of them together - Apricot is at the front, then the last three are of Apricot... She's a funny bun [emoji38]

And we've had some binkys :D
6c50dd4214ad2b51631917229b2a56bd.jpg
b9a2f12dcf4216b3395205073edcb2a7.jpg
01da7a4fa3346b2a57afb6576ac3f844.jpg
9a5dec71c47256d5d4555bd8608eac9f.jpg
3ae372662b7b74824a32769b9822f905.jpg
b5d1c95dc089a307a2185846ff46f358.jpg

I love their little hidey box Grace. Where did you get it?

Amazing photos. I bet they must think they are in heaven now :love:

That last photo is just incredible. Is she cooling herself down? :lol:

I love their little hidey box Grace. Where did you get it?

Amazing photos. I bet they must think they are in heaven now :love:

That last photo is just incredible. Is she cooling herself down? [emoji38]

Oh it's just from pets at home, was cheap if I remember correctly, and I just painted all the pieces in some waterproof outdoor paint that's bunny safe and slotted it together :)

Is it normal for them to be very floppy? I know this may sound weird but they can't stand up on their back legs (meerkat pose) without falling backwards... And they slip so much... And at the vets on the rubber mat which my other two have no issues with, they ended up completely flat with their legs out to the side like that were being a starfish... When they get up in the hutch they often slip too.... Maybe this is normal..? Idk to me it's weird.

Yes in the last picture she laid down, had a drink then inched forwards and put her paws in, minutes later she got in more... [emoji38]
645d25f09dff127dc2b5ec269f8fedfe.jpg

Oh it's just from pets at home, was cheap if I remember correctly, and I just painted all the pieces in some waterproof outdoor paint that's bunny safe and slotted it together :)

Is it normal for them to be very floppy? I know this may sound weird but they can't stand up on their back legs (meerkat pose) without falling backwards... And they slip so much... And at the vets on the rubber mat which my other two have no issues with, they ended up completely flat with their legs out to the side like that were being a starfish... When they get up in the hutch they often slip too.... Maybe this is normal..? Idk to me it's weird.

Yes in the last picture she laid down, had a drink then inched forwards and put her paws in, minutes later she got in more... [emoji38]
645d25f09dff127dc2b5ec269f8fedfe.jpg

No it's not at all normal, but it says to me that they were confined previously to a hutch that wasn't big enough for them to stand on their back legs. They haven't been able to exercise and therefore have lost muscle tone.

The wonderful photos show how you will be building that up now, and they will gain confidence. I think you've no idea what you've saved them from, because even if they were adopted out, many people just don't understand how much space these big and growing rabbits require :)

No it's not at all normal, but it says to me that they were confined previously to a hutch that wasn't big enough for them to stand on their back legs. They haven't been able to exercise and therefore have lost muscle tone.

The wonderful photos show how you will be building that up now, and they will gain confidence. I think you've no idea what you've saved them from, because even if they were adopted out, many people just don't understand how much space these big and growing rabbits require :)

Gosh yea :( they are very floppy and weak I feared that may be why :(

Ah well, their hutch now is massive - I've noticed them trying to stand up in the hutch a lot actually it's more than high enough for them and they have access to masses of space so hopefully they will start to get stronger etc they didn't really run about like my other two do, maybe they'll get more used to charging about as they settle in :)

Gosh yea :( they are very floppy and weak I feared that may be why :(

Ah well, their hutch now is massive - I've noticed them trying to stand up in the hutch a lot actually it's more than high enough for them and they have access to masses of space so hopefully they will start to get stronger etc they didn't really run about like my other two do, maybe they'll get more used to charging about as they settle in :)

I had a bun who looked just like your two, and when she was old and couldn't move around so much she had muscle wastage and the vet gave her injections of anabolic steroids as body-builders have, to help with her muscle tone :D

Your two will soon pick up the muscle tone with all the lovely space they now have.
They will also have lots of traction on that grass and loads of exercise :D

These bunnies are amazing! I'm loving the sploot with paws in the water bowl! Bless them! More piccies

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Back