• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Old Rabbit with several health issues going on

GrunBunMum

Warren Scout
Can anyone offer advise please
Apologies for the long post, I'm so worried she's in a bad way. You wouldn't think it to look at her running round like a child!
Florrie (nearly 11 year old) has been drinking more and peeing everywhere for months.
She currently on long term metacam for jaw arthritis.
She does still use the tray but ends up weeing when she gets excited. Which is literally every time you walk in the room as I'm sure she sees us as a walking vending machines!
Bloods and urine sample done and clear
She's been on baytril and panacure for a week just in case it's EC and no better
She also has other issues going on, small lump on her jaw, which is currently being tested to see what to fight it with, they don't want to lance it due to her age so looking at long term medication
She's looking like there's a bit of sore hocks going on and she's getting a dirty bottom quite often. Diet pellets and hay, stopped all herbs and still getting dirty
I'm so worried she's in pain and just ignoring it
Thx

Unfortunately have no advice but wow what an age! Sending positive vibes for your bun, hope you get an answer soon

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry to read about Florrie's health concerns. She is certainly a wonderful age and I'm pleased that she is still able to run around.

It's good that her blood and urine tests have come back normal. I presume they included Kidney function in the range of blood tests? Is she maintaining her weight well?

I think if it were me I wouldn't want to change anything until the results of the jaw lump have come back. Do you know how long that will take?

Sending Florrie lots of vibes.

She is a great age, I’m sorry that she has a few problems though. I hope that the jaw lump turns out to be nothing serious.

Regarding her dirty bottom, could it be that she can’t clean herself up properly due to mobility with arthritis? Does she have a lot of vegetables? If so cutting them down might help. Do you feed excel pellets? I do and always have, and never had any problems with any of the rabbits I have had but they can cause some rabbits to have excess caecatrophes/mucky bum.

Sending lots of vibes for her:thumb:

Can anyone offer advise please
Apologies for the long post, I'm so worried she's in a bad way. You wouldn't think it to look at her running round like a child!
Florrie (nearly 11 year old) has been drinking more and peeing everywhere for months.
She currently on long term metacam for jaw arthritis.
She does still use the tray but ends up weeing when she gets excited. Which is literally every time you walk in the room as I'm sure she sees us as a walking vending machines!
Bloods and urine sample done and clear
She's been on baytril and panacure for a week just in case it's EC and no better
She also has other issues going on, small lump on her jaw, which is currently being tested to see what to fight it with, they don't want to lance it due to her age so looking at long term medication
She's looking like there's a bit of sore hocks going on and she's getting a dirty bottom quite often. Diet pellets and hay, stopped all herbs and still getting dirty
I'm so worried she's in pain and just ignoring it
Thx

The sore hocks and mucky bum are both conditions that can occur in Rabbits with some degree of spinal arthritis, as eluded to by Omi.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/rabbit-arthritis/

Although you say that Florrie is on long term Metacam what dose rate has the Vet prescribed. There is a wide range of dose rates for Metacam (generic name 'Meloxicam)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

If the jaw lump is an abscess then this may point to Dental problems. Rabbits with Dental problems often eat less hay and consequently may end up getting a mucky bum.

On her Blog my Vet has posted this article about Dental abscesses

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-3-abscesses-fractures/

Thank you for the replies everyone, how she acts you'd never guess she's nearly 11. We have a 9 year old that literally lies there all day. She's always running around, jumping on the settee :)

Her metacam is 0.5ml twice a day. It was higher when we first found out about the jaw arthritis, She used to weigh 2.2KG but is now 1.7kg so my husband reduced it. She's not lost any more weight recently, in fact I think she has put a tad on in the last couple of months.

Her diet at the moment is just hay and pellets, she used to have a handful of herbs daily but we have stopped this since the dirty bottom started. It hasn't helped

I'm concerned about the wee-ing without knowing. She literally does it as she running across the room. Like she doesn't even know she is doing it. She still uses the litter tray so It's not like it's because she cant get in it.

They have took a swab under GA for the lump. Its extremely tiny at the moment and they struggled. I have just chased the vets now, they didn't feel lancing it was the best option due to her age and the stress and the best way forward was to stop it growing with medication.
She also had an X Ray which showed no teeth issues
She did have some work on her incisors and molars as well. That was last Tuesday.
She's back eating normally and still getting a dirty bum.
She's not the best hay eater but not the worst either, she used to be really good though. I suppose if I had jaw arthritis I would want to chew hay like they do!

Back