• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Showing Myxomatosis symptoms after vaccination?

Zara Elsom

New Kit
Hi, I recently got my 2 bunnies vaccinated on Monday. Allura is showing no side effects but Kirby has really sore looking eyes with white milky discharge coming from both of them. Is this a side affect or has he caught the virus? :(
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Both eyes are like this, but the left one isn't as bad

Last edited:
I’m afraid the photo isn’t showing for me. I would ring the vets and see if they can take a look at him. Sending lots of vibes for him.

Hi, I recently got my 2 bunnies vaccinated on Monday. Allura is showing no side effects but Kirby has really sore looking eyes with white milky discharge coming from both of them. Is this a side affect or has he caught the virus? :(

Both eyes are like this, but the left one isn't as bad

Hi Zara

It's possible that it's a side effect of the vaccination.

Here's some info:

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

You don't say which vaccination it was but I'm guessing Novibac/Myxo?

This is what the manufacturer says as a possible side effect:

In very rare cases the appearance of mild clinical signs of myxomatosis may occur within 3 weeks of vaccination.

However, as you describe a milky discharge which is not a usual side effect you should firstly ring your vet. It seems likely that this is because the immune system has been challenged by the vaccination and an underlying condition has reared it's head. Boosting the immune system can often get rid of this by using such things as echinacea:

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

However, ringing your vet will be most helpful, as you may have to get antibiotic eye drops to help with the bacterial infection. In the meantime keep the eye very clean by bathing using clean cotton wool and cooled boiled water twice daily until you have further vet advice.

Thank you very much for the advice, ringing vets first thing tomorrow to see if I can get him an appointment .

Thank you again, the vet is hoping it is conjunctivitis and inflammation of the eyelids . If it's not it is clinical symptoms of Myxomatosis. Been given a gel to put in his eyes twice a week. Fingers crossed he will be ok :(

Thank you again, the vet is hoping it is conjunctivitis and inflammation of the eyelids . If it's not it is clinical symptoms of Myxomatosis. Been given a gel to put in his eyes twice a week. Fingers crossed he will be ok :(

You're welcome :)

Hope it all clears up quickly.

This heat sometimes makes these things worse I'm finding

Yeah, I have my fingers crossed. If he does have Myxomatosis , can it be treated since he had the vaccination? The vet didn't really want to say much about it. I don't wanna lose my little man :(

Yeah, I have my fingers crossed. If he does have Myxomatosis , can it be treated since he had the vaccination? The vet didn't really want to say much about it. I don't wanna lose my little man :(

I hope he doesn't - it would be very unusual.
Some info here:

http://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/myxomatosis-vaccination/

This vaccination is not 100% effective and some vaccinated individuals may still contract the disease. However, vaccinated rabbits which sadly get infected will develop a milder form of the disease and have a greater chance of recovery

I should be very hopeful that he will be OK :D

His eyes are showing a lot of improvement. They are less red and swollen. Just a bit scabby on his eye lids but he has a few scabby bits on his back. Not very big though. Maybe about 1-2 centimetres in diameter. Do you reckon I should take back to vets about them or see how he goes the next couple of days?

His eyes are showing a lot of improvement. They are less red and swollen. Just a bit scabby on his eye lids but he has a few scabby bits on his back. Not very big though. Maybe about 1-2 centimetres in diameter. Do you reckon I should take back to vets about them or see how he goes the next couple of days?

Good news :)

I would call the vet and ask their advice.
It sounds to me like you could wait a couple of days, especially as there's been lot of improvement :D

Glad he's doing well :) When I had one with myxo, the scabby eyelids were scraping on her eyes and causing ulcers, so if they are inward pointing or look as if they might make contact with the eyes at all when he blinks, I'd pop him back to the vet for a quick check. It's very easy for them to tell if there are ulcers just by dropping a little bit of dye in and looking with a UV light, and if so, they can give some medication to help repair it along with pain relief.

Okie dokie, it doewnt look like it is bothering him and his eyelid look ok on the inside. He doesn't mine me touching them either. I check when i give him his eye drops, but ill keep an eye on him ^^e is also still very active and eating and drinking well ^^

Last edited:
Okie dokie, it doewnt look like it is bothering him and his eyelid look ok on the inside. He doesn't mine me touching them either. I check when i give him his eye drops, but ill keep an eye on him ^^e is also still very active and eating and drinking well ^^

:thumb:

Just to let you know, he is all better now. His eyes have completely healed, still has a few scabs on his back but the vet said they would clear up soon and has given him the all clear. He said it might have just been an allergic reaction to the vaccination. So both me and kirby are happy bunnies :D

Just to let you know, he is all better now. His eyes have completely healed, still has a few scabs on his back but the vet said they would clear up soon and has given him the all clear. He said it might have just been an allergic reaction to the vaccination. So both me and kirby are happy bunnies :D

Ah excellent news :D

Back