• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

And this is why you don't keep a empty hutch...

Graciee

Staff member
Meet Lilly and Skye who need new names... :)

Both unspayed sisters... How soon is too soon to get them spayed? They're 6 months apparently. It's gunna be done for free... Just don't wanna rush it... Before they get to know I'm okay.. but also I don't want them fighting D: they're very close to each other currently :)
7ec06b9ff0496d218021fb88d72a4ba9.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Both unspayed sisters... How soon is too soon to get them spayed? They're 6 months apparently. It's gunna be done for free... Just don't wanna rush it... Before they get to know I'm okay.. but also I don't want them fighting D: they're very close to each other currently :)

They are lovely :love: They can be spayed at 6 months, but you may want to sort their vaccinations out first, if they have not yet been done.

Must admit to getting a bit teary when I saw they are Californians..............

They can be spayed at 6 months :D

Are these the ones we've been talking about Grace?

They are lovely :love: They can be spayed at 6 months, but you may want to sort their vaccinations out first, if they have not yet been done.

Must admit to getting a bit teary when I saw they are Californians..............

Yea they've got to have them first, first one Monday

Are they californians? Or himalayans? I never know the difference..

Oh Jane I'm sorry :( they're such a beautiful breed - I didn't plan on getting these two, but honestly beautiful Elsa really made me notice this breed of rabbit and when I saw they needed a home I just couldn't possibly leave them xxxx

Aww beautiful girls! I would see how they're settling in and how comfortable they are to be handled because you'll need to check the scar post-op. At a guess I'd say a week or two but if they were well handled in their previous home and had a similar environment it could take a few days, if never handled and going from a tiny hutch to a big one it might take longer. When you take them for their pre-op appointment before the spay is arranged hopefully that will give you an idea of how stressed they are by travelling and being handled by strangers :)

They can be spayed at 6 months :D

Are these the ones we've been talking about Grace?
No unfortunately not :( altho they were dumped due to a similar situation :( terrible really, apparently they just kept breeding... Who would've thought it?! :/

Aww beautiful girls! I would see how they're settling in and how comfortable they are to be handled because you'll need to check the scar post-op. At a guess I'd say a week or two but if they were well handled in their previous home and had a similar environment it could take a few days, if never handled and going from a tiny hutch to a big one it might take longer. When you take them for their pre-op appointment before the spay is arranged hopefully that will give you an idea of how stressed they are by travelling and being handled by strangers :)
Yea they've got first vacs Monday so I'll see then... I have them a quick hug and kiss as I put them in the hutch, there last home they were bred from etc with no human contact really by the sounds of it... But they actually seem to not be scared of me... So hopefully after vacs, I'll book them in :)

Yea they've got to have them first, first one Monday

Are they californians? Or himalayans? I never know the difference..

Oh Jane I'm sorry :( they're such a beautiful breed - I didn't plan on getting these two, but honestly beautiful Elsa really made me notice this breed of rabbit and when I saw they needed a home I just couldn't possibly leave them xxxx

They are Californians xx

Just seen other comments, I agree with Jane that if they haven't been vaccinated I would probably prioritise that.

Californians are very chunky shaped rabbits and have dense fur. The breed standards say an under 5 month old Cali should be below 3.4kg, adults between 3.4 and 4.3.

Himalayans are more of a long slender shape and their fur is finer. They're also a lot lighter, adults are approx 2kg

From the pictures they don't look slender enough to be himalayan, they don't look very stocky either BUT young rabbits tend to be skinnier and they fill out with age, also females don't tend to look as stocky as their male counterparts. Their fur looks quite dense too so I would sway towards Californian. Do you know how much they weigh? :)

Oh my gosh :love: I see you've become smitten with the breed too :D

They are very, very lovely :love:

Yeaaaa [emoji32] they're both so gorgeous - lilly has a lighter nose than Skye and is more gentle I think :)

I saw them and decided they were coming home with me in about 30 seconds... Something in my gut just wouldn't let me leave them [emoji38] had the same thing with Fleur :( I see baby buns and adoption ones all the time and I hope they get good homes, but with these and Fleur, I just saw them and knew instantly they were mine, funny really :)

No unfortunately not :( altho they were dumped due to a similar situation :( terrible really, apparently they just kept breeding... Who would've thought it?! :/

Oh dear, what's their background?

They are Californians, to be sure, I have had these rabbits before :D

Just seen other comments, I agree with Jane that if they haven't been vaccinated I would probably prioritise that.

Californians are very chunky shaped rabbits and have dense fur. The breed standards say an under 5 month old Cali should be below 3.4kg, adults between 3.4 and 4.3.

Himalayans are more of a long slender shape and their fur is finer. They're also a lot lighter, adults are approx 2kg

From the pictures they don't look slender enough to be himalayan, they don't look very stocky either BUT young rabbits tend to be skinnier and they fill out with age, also females don't tend to look as stocky as their male counterparts. Their fur looks quite dense too so I would sway towards Californian. Do you know how much they weigh? :)

Oh yes ofc I'll prioritise vaccinations :)

Haven't weighed them.. But they're lighter than my female rex who's 3.6kg and they're skinny... But dense fur.. My boyfriend was shocked to stroke non rex fur [emoji38]

Oh dear, what's their background?

They are Californians, to be sure, I have had these rabbits before :D
Don't know exactly but lady said they had lots to give up as previous owners buns kept having baby buns, not sure if these two have had litters already, sounded like a breeder :(

Wish people would be more responsible :(

Don't know exactly but lady said they had lots to give up as previous owners buns kept having baby buns, not sure if these two have had litters already, sounded like a breeder :(

They may need to be on pregnancy watch..............

They may need to be on pregnancy watch..............
Yea :( probably I'm gunna get the free vacation at vets4pets but then they don't do a voucher for RHD2 so gunna go to William and get him to give them a good look over and make sure they're okay and don't have any issues etc maybe he can palpate (think that's the right word) them altho I know it's not always easy to tell..

Bit torn on their spays too... I want William to do it ideally.. But I can get it free at vets4pets... Maybe I'm being a bit OTT not wanting them to do it.. I mean they are a vets... Idk anyone got opinions on this?

If in doubt it's gunna be off to William I think [emoji38]

So you may end up with babies?

People are terribly irresponsible where breeding rabbits is concerned, sadly :(

Yea :( probably I'm gunna get the free vacation at vets4pets but then they don't do a voucher for RHD2 so gunna go to William and get him to give them a good look over and make sure they're okay and don't have any issues etc maybe he can palpate (think that's the right word) them altho I know it's not always easy to tell..

Bit torn on their spays too... I want William to do it ideally.. But I can get it free at vets4pets... Maybe I'm being a bit OTT not wanting them to do it.. I mean they are a vets... Idk anyone got opinions on this?

If in doubt it's gunna be off to William I think [emoji38]

Can William do an U/S scan to check for babies ?

If they came from P@H Adoption then they (P@H) should help you out with costs, IMO.

So you may end up with babies?

People are terribly irresponsible where breeding rabbits is concerned, sadly :(
Yea :( the store didn't really know what to say about that, they've only had them a day..

Just have to see what happens - but I knew these two were mine whatever happens :)

Just wish they were boys honestly spays terrify me :(

Back