• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting and fur pulling - but bonded for 3+ years

heleni

Warren Scout
Oreo (neutered f) and Rupert (neutered m) have been happily bonded for 3+ years but have just started fighting again. I noticed yesterday that Rupert's ears have been bitten and are badly scabbed (but clean and healing well) and this !morning there were loads of fur tufts but I don't know whose as they are both black. Rupert keeps chasing and trying to mount Oreo but judging by the ears she has fought back. He spends a lot of time with his ears flat against his back but they will sit together to eat etc.

Rupert had gut stasis about 3 weeks ago so they were separated for a night but no immediate issues then. He is fully recovered from that.

Any thoughts on what, if anything, I should do? Should i just leave them to it in case it's the weather or reassessing dominance after the illness, and keep an eye out for / eye on any new wounds? Thanks for any help

Not so far as I know. We don't get cats in our garden and it's only birds that they usually see (mostly pigeons and magpies)

Just following up on this thread - the rabbits seem to be happy again, but both of Rupert's ears got a bit shredded, and overnight half his right ear fell off. I've yet to find the piece... (where's the Vomit symbol when you need it?!)

I did take him to the vet when the ear started to rip, though I thought the skin looks dead, and the vet said that the top half had died; probably the blood supply had been cut off by Oreo's biting, which I guess explains why the scabs hadn't fallen off. She said just to let it come off naturally as the wounds were all dry and well healed, which it did within the day.

Back