• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis Rehabilitation

robcal

New Kit
I'm looking for a little bit of advice for our pet rabbit Felix. He came to live with us two months ago - he was one of 3 school rabbits, but one day one of his friends was stolen overnight. A couple of days later his other friend was taken. Felix seemed very upset about all of this - almost depressed. The school bought more rabbits, but they attacked him quite viciously and when the cold weather hit I brought him home. Felix had been vaccinated last year. He was very happy, he got another friend, Snowdrop, who was fully vaccinated in April.

Last month, Snowdrop got a sore, scabby nose. The first vet we went to told us it was a skin complaint and gave us some cream for dogs which had no effect. Then two weeks ago, Felix developed the scab on his nose too. We went to a different vet last Tuesday who diagnosed them with dry myxomatosis. As they had both been vaccinated, the vet felt that there might be enough immunity to help them survive. The very next day, Felix's eyelids began to puff up and have got gradually worse. He's been getting anti-biotics every day, along with us bathing his eyes in salt water at least twice a day.

On Sunday I took him back to the vet. She felt (and I agreed) that whilst his eyes were very puffy that he was lively enough and eating enough to avoid putting him to sleep. This week he's been very much the same. His eyelids are very swollen, getting slightly worse each day. However, he's eating and moving around. I'm going to take him to the vet again tomorrow morning to get her opinion and I think that he will probably be put to sleep. However, I just wanted to know a few things from people whose rabbits had survived myxes.

Was there a point when you noticed the rabbit getting better?
Is it all worth it? My perspective is that if there is a chance of getting better then avoid having him put down; what do others think?
Is there anything else I can be doing or ask the vet about?
How bad do they get before they get better, or is there a point of no return? If so, how will I know when the battle is lost?
If we decide to have him put down, what advice does anyone have for Snowdrop? She's still got her scabby nose, but otherwise has no other symptoms.

Thanks in advance - any advice would be very much appreciated.

I'm looking for a little bit of advice for our pet rabbit Felix. He came to live with us two months ago - he was one of 3 school rabbits, but one day one of his friends was stolen overnight. A couple of days later his other friend was taken. Felix seemed very upset about all of this - almost depressed. The school bought more rabbits, but they attacked him quite viciously and when the cold weather hit I brought him home. Felix had been vaccinated last year. He was very happy, he got another friend, Snowdrop, who was fully vaccinated in April.

Last month, Snowdrop got a sore, scabby nose. The first vet we went to told us it was a skin complaint and gave us some cream for dogs which had no effect. Then two weeks ago, Felix developed the scab on his nose too. We went to a different vet last Tuesday who diagnosed them with dry myxomatosis. As they had both been vaccinated, the vet felt that there might be enough immunity to help them survive. The very next day, Felix's eyelids began to puff up and have got gradually worse. He's been getting anti-biotics every day, along with us bathing his eyes in salt water at least twice a day.

On Sunday I took him back to the vet. She felt (and I agreed) that whilst his eyes were very puffy that he was lively enough and eating enough to avoid putting him to sleep. This week he's been very much the same. His eyelids are very swollen, getting slightly worse each day. However, he's eating and moving around. I'm going to take him to the vet again tomorrow morning to get her opinion and I think that he will probably be put to sleep. However, I just wanted to know a few things from people whose rabbits had survived myxes.

Was there a point when you noticed the rabbit getting better?
Is it all worth it? My perspective is that if there is a chance of getting better then avoid having him put down; what do others think?
Is there anything else I can be doing or ask the vet about?
How bad do they get before they get better, or is there a point of no return? If so, how will I know when the battle is lost?
If we decide to have him put down, what advice does anyone have for Snowdrop? She's still got her scabby nose, but otherwise has no other symptoms.

Thanks in advance - any advice would be very much appreciated.

Hello

I am sorry to hear about your Rabbits. As they are vaccinated then they do have a good chance of pulling through, but it can be a prolonged fight.

What treatment has your Vet prescribed. It is important to try to prevent secondary bacterial infection, which is the usual cause of fatalities. So antibiotic cover is needed and a non steroidal anti-inflammatory will help reduce any discomfort from the swelling and also act as an antipyretic if the Rabbit is febrile. Eye drops are often needed too.

It is important to insure that the Rabbit keeps eating and drinking to prevent secondary gut stasis. If a lot of swelling occurs around the mouth the Rabbit may stop eating. So assisted feeding would be needed, alongside fluid therapy.

'Santa' on here is extremely knowledgeable and has a lot of first hand experience of Nursing a Rabbit through Myxomatosis. She is very busy these days and may not log on here daily. But you could drop her a PM and I am sure she will reply when she can.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/member.php?6187-Santa

She also kept this blog which you may want to take a look at

https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com/?s=myxomatosis

Of course there are no guarantees that an individual Rabbit will pull through, each case needs to be treated individually. But with ongoing treatment and nursing care many previously vaccinated Rabbits can make a full recovery.

Very best wishes

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply and kind words.

At the moment the only medication we have is Baytril. Tomorrow when I go to the vets I'll mention eyedrops and anti-inflammatories. I've just cleaned his eyes - they're very swollen this evening. Someone at work suggested using cold tea - is this a sensible suggestion in the meantime?

Hi,

I have had a rabbit survive nodular myx. I do not remember exact timescales, but it was certainly weeks, not days before he showed signs of recovery. He had one eye which was extremely swollen, inflamed and shut. He was lethargic and did not move very much. At the worst stage I was syringe-feeding him as he would not eat or drink for himself. He was treated with Penicillin injections, daily at first and then every other day.. My vet's view was that the main objective was to prevent a respiratory infection developing. He recovered completely and lived for a further three years before dying from unconnected causes.

Which antibiotic is he having? If it's not Penicillin, then maybe you could discuss this option with the vet.

If he is reasonably lively and eating for himself, I would want the vet to examine his chest before making any final decision.

Sending lots of vibes for both Felix and Snowdrop.

ETA He also had Metacam and eye drops.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply and kind words.

At the moment the only medication we have is Baytril. Tomorrow when I go to the vets I'll mention eyedrops and anti-inflammatories. I've just cleaned his eyes - they're very swollen this evening. Someone at work suggested using cold tea - is this a sensible suggestion in the meantime?

Some weak cold chamomile tea may be soothing x

I don’t have any advice I’m afraid, years ago I did have a vaccinated rabbit who got myxomatosis, she was suffering very badly though and the vet said it was the worst case they’d seen, so she was PTS :cry:. Were your rabbits vaccinated within the last 12 months?

I’m sending lots of vibes, I hope your rabbit can pull through.

Back