• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update: Lump is bigger

I spoke to the Vet yesterday and sadly it is cancer. It is a very aggressive form of cancer and they believe it is a melanoma. The Vet believes Jack only has weeks to leave and so I am watching his quality of life closely and will have him put to sleep when he deteriorates. Right now he is not showing any signs of pain.
It most likely is spreading throughout his body right now so I really need to watch his respiration, his eating, etc. I will not allow him to suffer.
Last night he was perky and eating well. It seems so unreal that he has cancer. I have the report from the Vet as well, they emailed it to me, and I have to keep rereading it, trying to have it sink in. I mean obviously I can see the huge mass on his chest/armpit but I guess I don't want to believe.

Thank you everyone for your support and I will keep you updated. ❤

I spoke to the Vet yesterday and sadly it is cancer. It is a very aggressive form of cancer and they believe it is a melanoma. The Vet believes Jack only has weeks to leave and so I am watching his quality of life closely and will have him put to sleep when he deteriorates. Right now he is not showing any signs of pain.
It most likely is spreading throughout his body right now so I really need to watch his respiration, his eating, etc. I will not allow him to suffer.
Last night he was perky and eating well. It seems so unreal that he has cancer. I have the report from the Vet as well, they emailed it to me, and I have to keep rereading it, trying to have it sink in. I mean obviously I can see the huge mass on his chest/armpit but I guess I don't want to believe.

Lynn I really am so sorry to read this update. Jack will take great comfort from you for the quality time he has remaining. Your total love and devotion to him will make it possible for you to let him go when the time comes, although it will be so very painful for you to have to do so.

Try to live in the moment, as Jack will be doing. Each minute you share with him will be a memory to treasure forever.

I will continue to think of both Jack and of you xx

Hi Lynn

This is very sad news, and I have been there fairly recently myself so I know how sad and upsetting it is.

I hope Jack will keep to being his perky self, as he doesn't know he is so poorly. It's harder for you though to know that his time is limited.
I know you'll do your absolute best for this brave little soldier and I shall be thinking of you both as time goes by.

Lots of hugs x

I'm so sorry to hear this sad update, however pleased that Jack appears to be well and happy in himself. I really hope that he stays as well as possible, for as long as possible. Sending a big hug for you, and a gentle nose rub for your little bun xx

Sending you lots of love and hugs at this very sad time. Fortunately rabbits do not understand about a diagnosis and prognosis. Jack will only feel the love you have for him and be comforted by that.

:( I'm so sorry about Jack's diagnosis. Good that he is feeling well in himself now & he has such a compassionate care giver xx

I am sorry that the diagnosis wasn't better but hope Jack will be able to enjoy his food etc right up to the end.

I'm so sorry. Spoil him rotten and treasure the time he has left. It's hard when you feel your heart is breaking for them but keep him comfy and wanting for nothing. Thinking of you x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Back