• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A comforting poem about losing your loved one

Thanks Marlene
I have her 2 sisters and love them but her presence is very much missed and will always be, can't watch the video yet but at least I have it for when I feel I can.
I'd like to see a pic of you jr some time
June

It is a lovely poem.

People shouldn't feel guilty if they can't face being their at the end if their pet has to be PTS.

At my vets it is split down the middle - some people like to be there but others feel it is best if they are not (sometimes an owners sadness can be felt by the animal - usually in the case of larger animals such as a dog - and stresses them out. It is a really hard thing to do and it is difficult to get the memory of those final moments out of your mind.

I have had to hold quite a few animals as Jim (the vet) helped them on their way and I always treated them the way I would if it were my own. I used to cosy them in and give them a kiss from their mum or dad.

Even although they weren't my pets - in some cases I had never seen them before - I always had a wee cry because it is sad as a life ebbs away. I can honestly say that it is very peaceful, very quick and the animal just goes to sleep.

I even got very emotional when we had to euthanase a young lads pet rat as he was about 19 years old and was trying to act macho but he just fell apart at the end.

Having a pet PTS is the harest decision any owner has to make as we always hope that a miracle will happen. However thos of us who have had to make that choice have done so out of love.

lol Pam

personally, I could'nt possibly leave my pet and just walk away, I was there when she was born and all through her life and I was there when she went to sleep with me holding her and talking quietly to her, I would'nt have it any other way. Yes it is heartbreaking but she was'nt stressed and my vet gave me the time and space to be quiet and alone with her. Everybody is different. That is my personal view.
June

Back