• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A comforting poem about losing your loved one

lindac

Warren Scout
I have found the following poem very comforting and I thought I would share it with you...I hope you do not mind. Possibly its very popular and everyone is aware of it, but if not, I hope you like it.

If it should be I grow frail and weak
And pain prevents my peaceful sleep.
Then you must do what must be done
When this last battle can't be won.
You will be sad, I understand.
Selfishness might stay your hand.
But on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship take the test.
We've had so many happy years
That what's to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer. So,
When the time comes, please let me go.
Take me where my needs they'll tend.
Only stay with me until the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me.
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know, in time, you, too, will see
It is a kindness that you do for me.
Although my tail it's last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.
Do not grieve it should be you.
Who must decide this thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years......
Don't let your heart hold any tears

Oh that is just so true, and hits the heart chords...it is really lovely and very sad all at the same time :cry:
Thank you for sharing that with us

when i read it i cried like a baby as it was so pertinent to what i feel i and Dubbs have just been through....it is very fitting and very true and i thought that it could bring comfort to anyone who had to put their baby to sleep ever, or is about to do so as it is a universal message applicable to any pet owner and their pet x

Thats so beautiful, I am at work trying to hold the tears back.

I have wondered since my Bundy was pts sleep a couple of weeks ago, that I done the right thing by staying with him and talking to him right up untill the last second, and now I am glad I did.

yes jolene you did the *best* thing for him. you made him feel safe and loved and the last thing he saw was you before he went...not a strange nurse or vet.

the nurse held my boy in position on the table whilst the injection was administered but i gave him noserubs and cradled his little head, kissed him and spoke to him whilst my partner rubbed his cheeks. then he peacefully slipped away looking at his mummy in front of him loving him right up until his last breathe (and beyond).

Bundy was glad you were there, i assure you x

what a beautiful tribute to a loved pet . what it does for me though is bring up alot of guilt . I had to get chico put too sleep over 5 years ago and I was not there at the end , he was in the vets and had brain damage , the vets said they would wait until I got there but I really didn,t feel strong enough . omg , I,m crying my eyes out now , I should have been with him at the end , what must he have thought ?? the vets said that he would not have noticed I wasn,t there and he died laying in the nurses arms , " a nurse who I know loved rabbits as she has over 20" , but it should have been me that was there at the end . If I could go back I would have been there and I would not be living with this regret . But I thought I would not cope and would not have let him go as I loved him so much . Even 5 years on I still feel the guilt . :cry:

gina paul said:
what a beautiful tribute to a loved pet . what it does for me though is bring up alot of guilt . I had to get chico put too sleep over 5 years ago and I was not there at the end , he was in the vets and had brain damage , the vets said they would wait until I got there but I really didn,t feel strong enough . omg , I,m crying my eyes out now , I should have been with him at the end , what must he have thought ?? the vets said that he would not have noticed I wasn,t there and he died laying in the nurses arms , " a nurse who I know loved rabbits as she has over 20" , but it should have been me that was there at the end . If I could go back I would have been there and I would not be living with this regret . But I thought I would not cope and would not have let him go as I loved him so much . Even 5 years on I still feel the guilt . :cry:

Oh you have me in tears now :cry: :cry: :cry: Please don't feel guilty - we have had this happen with us - Little Jack had a heart attack after surgery and he was gone :cry: Our Hiccup did the same and it broke us so much. No matter where they are they are always surrounded by the love that their mums and dads feel for them - as they are in your hearts, you too are in theirs - remember that - he loved you immensely and he could feel your love for him as he went to the Bridge. He will have been greatly comforted by that.
Going to blow nose now, tears are raining all over the keyboard :cry:

what a lovely poem. i think even if it does not fit a situation exactly there are parts that everyone can relate to & take comfort from.

thank you for thinking of others who are going through the mill at the mo xxx

hey gina don't feel bad...my dad ran out of the surgery on 3 occcassions when my mum took our cats to be PTS. some people can handle it others can't, you must not feel bad...we all know the poem has been written as a means to comfort the bereaved...to be honest Dubbs was so doped up on the pre-med he was given that i'm not sure he would have known i was there...i like to think he was aware of me though, hence the reason for my finding solace in the poem.

to be honest with you, its quite a hard thing to watch and my nicer memories at the moment are over-ridden with images of him passed away on the cloth-covered vet's table or the feel of him all limp in my arms. i want to remember him as the naughty, sprightly, happy bunny hopping around and running after the cats...which i do mostly, but i wont ever forget the image of my baby with the life taken out of him *sniff* i guess time will heal this for me.

please please please do not beat yourself up that you weren't there. you were there for the whole of your baby's life...and loved him uncon ditionally, nothing can better that.

*hugs*

Thanks for your kind words , I know that you have gone through this heartache so recently . You are right tho , as the last time I saw Chico alive he was wrapped up in the vets arms sound asleep , the vet was so caring and treated him like one of his own ., I could not have handled holding him as he was pts , he would have sensed I was upset and that would have been picked up by him . I,ve got a huge photo of him in the bedroom and his ashes have been buried under a rosebush in the garden . At least he is still with me .Cheeky is nearly 6 and I hope that when his time comes that he dies naturally but who knows . I,ll enjoy him and love him until that time comes .
love
Gina x

i put a photo of Dubbs up in my front room last night. it has certainly helped.

normally i go for the minimalist look and have always wondered at people who have pictures of their pets/family everywhere. i like to keep them all nice and tidy in an album, tucked away. however since losing my boy i can now understand and appreciate how comforting it can be...

so this afternoon at work i spent a couple of hours scanning images of Dubbs and playng around in Photoshop to see what sort of arty creations i can make for my flat...minimalism sucks anyway ;-)

i also made a nice card for my vet, to thank him for all his care over the years...i hope they like it.

and yes, i think they are with us forever, in our minds and hearts and nothing can take that away from us. ever.

*hugs*

if it should be is one of the best poems if best it the right word never helps me i cry everytime i read it :(

but i think something else should always be rembered when you own any pet and its
If you love something let it go!
And its heart will be yours forever!

thank you for sharing your poem

I am feeling pain of having to have my Snowy put to sleep just last night. The vet gave her an injection and said it would take 4-5 minutes and she would just fall asleep. He left us alone and I held her in my arms and stroked her and spoke to her softly until she stopped breathing, she was calm and in no more pain. When does this pain I feel go away????
june

june said:
thank you for sharing your poem

I am feeling pain of having to have my Snowy put to sleep just last night. The vet gave her an injection and said it would take 4-5 minutes and she would just fall asleep. He left us alone and I held her in my arms and stroked her and spoke to her softly until she stopped breathing, she was calm and in no more pain. When does this pain I feel go away????
june

June,

Sadly, like when loved ones pass on, the pain never really goes away. You just get used to it.
The only advice I feel I can give in these situations (having lost a bun myself last month) is that life is for the living.
If you have any other buns, family, or friends, make everyday day count.
You never know what's gonna happen.

Hey June

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It is heartbreaking for you, but at the same time it is the nicest thing to do for your baby.

It is exactly a week ago since i lost my Dubbs, the pain is still there but less so as i have come to accept that it was the best thing for him. When I think about my boy all huddled up and quiet and compare that to how he was not so long ago, it actually makes me feel like I have done something good for him. Ok, I miss him like mad but he is in a better place now.

What has also helped June is to place a picture of your baby somewhere prominent so whenever you feel sad or miss her you just can just glance at it and see her again. It has really helped me anyway, I hope it can you too. I also still say goodnight to Dubbs every night, kinda helps too.

If you have any other pets give them extra cuddles as well, my two cats have been a great comfort.

Dubbs and all the other bunnies will make sure Snowy is safe and happy.

Linda

Hi June

I agree, the pain doesn't go away but does soften. When you love your baby so much it is unbearable to have to let it go. It is six years since I had to have my beloved Jack Russell PTS and I still want him back but now I can reember all the fun times and all the loving he gave me. I have his photos all over the place and he still makes me smile!

Back