Thread: Second opinion?

Default Second opinion?

I took Angus to the vet last week as over the past 6 weeks or so heís started weeing whenever he likes and drinking a lot more. Heís always been a big drinker but heís got one of those large bunny bottles and heíll easily drain it in 8-10 hours. Also when he wees he sits in it, and being an angora x itís causing some problems. The vet couldnít find anything wrong with him, he had a black stripe on his penis which she said was unusual but didnít think it was a problem, she took a urine sample and tested it for various different things (diabetes included but I canít remember all of them)
    I just think thereís something wrong, she said heíd gone from1.7 to 1.8kg but he feels lighter and skinnier. The weeing confuses me so much, he was a perfectly house trained house rabbit and now we canít trust him out unless we can watch him. He poos in the litter tray everytime still. I donít know what to do. Heís meant to be going away to be bonded on Monday but this is playing on my mind

Archie - born October 2010
    Izzy - born July 2009

I’ve put him on my chest, I’m lying down watching something and I’ve put the blanket over him. He’s licked me and I’ve stroked him and then hes just stayed there and has just started chattering his teeth. He’s stopped now and is licking me again, I assume the teeth chattering is happiness but could it be pain?

Izzy - born July 2009

I would seek a second opinion from a Rabbit Savvy Vet. A full blood profile would be what I would want, especially to check Kidney Function.

EC might be involved, has the Vet mentioned this ? I would not be happy to send Angus away to be bonded with another Rabbit until this issue has been sorted out.

Excessive drinking/weeing is known as Polydipsia/Polyuria, some information here :

https://www.vetstream.com/treat/lapi...ia_polyuria-dt

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...dipsia&f=false

Teeth chattering/purring whilst being petted sounds very different to the tooth grinding that can occur due to pain. I think you were hearing Angus 'Tooth purr' to show that he is contented

Myxomatosis , RHD1 & RHD2 - Vaccinations are ESSENTIAL to protect your Rabbit(s)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...rum-Moderator)

Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF)~ Britains Biggest and Best Organisation for Everyone who Loves Rabbits

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

RWAF Fundraising Auction 2018~ Watch this space for details !

I’ve just remembered something else said, she said his urine is very diluted and only just on the edge of the normal range. I know of another vets that is quite rabbit savvy, it’s a little further away but I think I’ll give them a ring. I will cancel his bonding for now and perhaps rearrange it when I know more

Izzy - born July 2009

Wise Old Thumper

I'm sorry that Angus is causing concern. I think you're right to cancel the bonding. I would also consider having a full blood profile done in particular to establish if there is any reason for the excessive drinking.

Sending him lots of vibes. I hope you find out what's wrong. Let us know how you get on.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Alpha Buck

I can’t offer any advice, just to say I’m sending vibes for him xx