• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Second opinion?

Alicia

Mama Doe
I took Angus to the vet last week as over the past 6 weeks or so he’s started weeing whenever he likes and drinking a lot more. He’s always been a big drinker but he’s got one of those large bunny bottles and he’ll easily drain it in 8-10 hours. Also when he wees he sits in it, and being an angora x it’s causing some problems. The vet couldn’t find anything wrong with him, he had a black stripe on his penis which she said was unusual but didn’t think it was a problem, she took a urine sample and tested it for various different things (diabetes included but I can’t remember all of them)
I just think there’s something wrong, she said he’d gone from1.7 to 1.8kg but he feels lighter and skinnier. The weeing confuses me so much, he was a perfectly house trained house rabbit and now we can’t trust him out unless we can watch him. He poos in the litter tray everytime still. I don’t know what to do. He’s meant to be going away to be bonded on Monday but this is playing on my mind

I’ve put him on my chest, I’m lying down watching something and I’ve put the blanket over him. He’s licked me and I’ve stroked him and then hes just stayed there and has just started chattering his teeth. He’s stopped now and is licking me again, I assume the teeth chattering is happiness but could it be pain?

I would seek a second opinion from a Rabbit Savvy Vet. A full blood profile would be what I would want, especially to check Kidney Function.

EC might be involved, has the Vet mentioned this ? I would not be happy to send Angus away to be bonded with another Rabbit until this issue has been sorted out.

Excessive drinking/weeing is known as Polydipsia/Polyuria, some information here :

https://www.vetstream.com/treat/lapis/pdfs-and-tables/polydipsia_polyuria-dt

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...AQhOMAc#v=onepage&q=rabbit polydipsia&f=false

Teeth chattering/purring whilst being petted sounds very different to the tooth grinding that can occur due to pain. I think you were hearing Angus 'Tooth purr' to show that he is contented :)

I’ve just remembered something else said, she said his urine is very diluted and only just on the edge of the normal range. I know of another vets that is quite rabbit savvy, it’s a little further away but I think I’ll give them a ring. I will cancel his bonding for now and perhaps rearrange it when I know more

I'm sorry that Angus is causing concern. I think you're right to cancel the bonding. I would also consider having a full blood profile done in particular to establish if there is any reason for the excessive drinking.

Sending him lots of vibes. I hope you find out what's wrong. Let us know how you get on.

Back