• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Chewing on Bandages

Shan&Chibi

New Kit
Okay, so I made a post last week I think now, which gave all the details of the situation with Chibi.
He's had stitches on one of his hocks and the other hock was seriously sore too, so after about a week of bandaging and vet wrapping both back feet, we've upgraded to some padding on his feet directly with a little Sudocrem to hopefully soothe his feet and a baby sock over the top to keep him from chewing his feet/licking the Sudocrem off.
My problem now is, he's pulling at the sock (only the sock on his stitched up foot) and in the process he's made the front of his leg sore. Not sure if he's been biting or licking it too much but I'm now paranoid that he's going to continue to make sores all over his leg. I feel like no matter what I do it just creates more problems and I'm really struggling now :(
I've seen people have used bitter apple spray and put a little of that on the bandage? But I'd then be scared he'll just carry on licking/biting his legs and still make them sore. I'd rather him chew on the sock than his leg.
I've also seen people having to use a collar but I really, REALLY don't want to do that to him. He's been doing so well and his stitches are healing nicely so he's nearly in the clear and I fully understand how frustrating it must be for him but I'm really at a loss.
He's got plenty of toys and boxes and his regular set up of hay and food around so it's not boredom.
I'm wondering if it's itchy and is there something better than Sudocrem I can use to ease that?

I hate seeing my boy like this and I know you've got to be cruel to be kind but I just thought I'd put it out there on here just in case others have had a similar situation to this?

Thank you in advance, guys and girls!

Okay, so I made a post last week I think now, which gave all the details of the situation with Chibi.
He's had stitches on one of his hocks and the other hock was seriously sore too, so after about a week of bandaging and vet wrapping both back feet, we've upgraded to some padding on his feet directly with a little Sudocrem to hopefully soothe his feet and a baby sock over the top to keep him from chewing his feet/licking the Sudocrem off.
My problem now is, he's pulling at the sock (only the sock on his stitched up foot) and in the process he's made the front of his leg sore. Not sure if he's been biting or licking it too much but I'm now paranoid that he's going to continue to make sores all over his leg. I feel like no matter what I do it just creates more problems and I'm really struggling now :(
I've seen people have used bitter apple spray and put a little of that on the bandage? But I'd then be scared he'll just carry on licking/biting his legs and still make them sore. I'd rather him chew on the sock than his leg.
I've also seen people having to use a collar but I really, REALLY don't want to do that to him. He's been doing so well and his stitches are healing nicely so he's nearly in the clear and I fully understand how frustrating it must be for him but I'm really at a loss.
He's got plenty of toys and boxes and his regular set up of hay and food around so it's not boredom.
I'm wondering if it's itchy and is there something better than Sudocrem I can use to ease that?

I hate seeing my boy like this and I know you've got to be cruel to be kind but I just thought I'd put it out there on here just in case others have had a similar situation to this?

I've just read your other thread giving details of the sore hocks and as I understand it your Vet has not prescribed any pain relief at all ??

If not, then this is actually rather shocking as Ulcerative Pododermatitis (Sore Hocks) is very painful

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Ulcerative_pododermatitis_rabbits.htm

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...ge&q=rabbit ulcerative pododermatitis&f=false

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

Your Bunny may be chewing himself due to pain.

Did the Vet mention any possible cause of the Sore Hocks ? The condition can occur secondary to another mobility problem.

Personally I would want to consult a very Rabbit Savvy Vet about your Bunny's problems. As you will note from the links posted above Pododermatitis can sometimes lead to infection in the bone and damage to tendons.

Hi there :wave:

have another look at the links I posted on your other thread, as the creams on there are probably more suitable for sore hocks than Sudocrem. As I mentioned, I don't use Sudocrem and there's one here with local anaesthetic that might take away any pain and itchiness ...

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-SCP-Spray-200ml/productinfo/DERBYMSCP/
Derbymed SCP Spray 200ml is a soothing, antiseptic wound spray that removes excessive moisture from open wounds and aids in the management of cuts, sores and proud flesh.

This cream has analgesic (pain killing) properties:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s.../healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773

Has your vet recommended a collar? It may be necessary in the short term whilst everything heals up, or you'll have a greater problem on your hands with the biting and scratching etc.

Has your vet given you Metacam for pain? I think this is essential, as a rabbit in pain will gnaw at their wounds thus making them worse.

Back