• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's in a name?

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
Just being nosy/a discussion...

Why are your rabbits called what they are? And if it's, um, less common, how do you pronounce it?

Feel free to include nicknames (and hows and whys) as well. I'll post my current lot later. :lol:

Beatrice - after a character in an animation we both like

Hamilton - was already named when we adopted him after Lewis Hamilton, but we call him 'Mr. Hamo' more frequently

Plumpkin - Just popped into my head when I rescued her and the name sort of stuck. People always think they have heard me wrong and call her Pumpkin :lol:

Coco is the name of the kids mascot at the hotel we often go to so the kids insisted one of the bunnies be called coco when we got rabbits.

Casper was just a name we (eventually!) all agreed on - kind of suits him I suppose as he’s a fluffy angora cross so has a bit of a look of Casper the friendly ghost :lol:

Millie we kept the name she had at the rescue - the area she was found straying in starts with ‘mil’ so the name came from that originally.

I suppose I better go with mine now.

Elphie - from the musical Wicked. We got her and her sister Galinda together. Most unusual nickname is 'Flump'/'Flumpkin'

Athena - when I first saw her, she pretty much 'said' to me, 'hai I'm Athena, get me out of here. Take me with you!' And we listened. As a proper 'grey-eyed Athena', she couldn't be better named but her eyes were sky blue as a youngster. Start of the Greek gods/goddesses. Most unusual nickname is 'Munchkin' as she's a cheeky thing.

Rivergrace - came from an obscure Nintendo game. I loved its cadence and thought it beautiful.

Morningstar - Mum chose between her name and Dawnstar, wanting something to work with Rivergrace. Has a lot of fear aggression due to blindness but is also really sweet at times. Does that mean being inadvertently named for Jesus and the devil is appropriate?

Helios - (He-Lee-Oss) Greek emissary of the sun.

Selene - (Seh-Len) Greek emissary of the moon.

Persephone - (Purr-Seff-Oh-Knee) Greek goddess of the underworld. Appropriate given we rescued her from a hamster cage, but we don't return her there for 6 months of the year! Usually referred to as Sef, Seffy, or Seffy Floof.

Morpheus Seahorse - (Morph-E-Us) Greek god of dreams. As he looks like a dream. First Honeybunny; his middle name, like all my Honeybunnies is his rescue name.

Erasmus Chipper - (E-Raz-Muss) Greek, means 'worthy of being loved'. Was at Honeybunnies for a good 6 months despite being so divine, due to issues of lunging/biting whilst in foster. Jill realised he is actually deaf shortly before he was run down to us. Has randomly bitten and scarred me once, due to referred aggression, so my fault! We usually call him 'Mus' as 'Ras' was too hard for his mostly softie demeanor.

Yuki Winter - adopted after we lost Iris. We were originally meant to just get Niji, but he'd fallen unwell post-neuter. As we agreed to take 'Winter' then and Niji (who we'd already named) once ready, I looked up Wintry Japanese names (somewhat in honour of Takumi) and Yuki stood out to me. He's such a cheeky, naughty rabbit that Winter alone was too austere for him so I'm glad he has a cheeky sounding name to match his personality! Yuki is 'frost' in Japanese, but we often call him Doodle or Doodlebug.

Niji Taco - (the j is pronounced softly, not harshly, linking the 2 syllables) in honour of Iris (the Greek goddess of the rainbow) and somewhat Takumi, Niji is Japanese for rainbow. But he thinks his name is Potato, because he looks like a potato when he loafs with his ears down!)

Meadowbloom Ursula - Bloom is the part she carried over from Honeybunnies; Ursula is her name prior to that. I came up with it when playing with her rescue name to come up with something in a similar vein to Rivergrace.

Neonara Drifter - (Neo-Nara) Came from the same obscure Nintendo game as Rivergrace.

Enfys Blueberry-Muffin - (En-viss) named in honour of Arce (R-say) - the Greek titaness of the double rainbow - Enfys is Welsh for rainbow. I essentially have 2 rabbits called Rainbow in the same group. Her nickname is 'Button' as in 'as cute as a button'.

lovely to know the meanings behind names
I have just named Mildriths babies..all Anglo-saxon names like their mum
here goes with meanings..will just post 2 pics

First Mildrith means gentle strength :)
Then Arleigh..which means Meadow of the hare

Arleigh girl born120618to Mildrith by Jill Woodward, on Flickr

then we have
Edina which means enthusiatic
Alodie which means rich
and Breck shown below..which means freckled :)

Breck girl born 120618 to Mildrith by Jill Woodward, on Flickr

the boys
Wulfric which means powerful or wolf
Aldwyn means old friend
Delbert means Bright as day !

Buddy - He was our first bunny and he was bought for me and he was going to be my little buddy.

Daisy - I wanted a bunny called Daisy for a long time.

Domino - He is black and white.

Bella - It's just a cute name (Although at the vets yesterday we were told she is actually a boy but we aren't changing the name).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bumble - well just cos I liked the name really.

Bee (Binky free) to match Bumble.

Butter-Bean was mentioned as a joke on a thread on here when people were guessing what princess Charlotte would be called and I thought what a cool name for bunny so kept it and called him Butter-Bean!

Back