• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elphie - Pain Relief and Physiotherapy

Yep, so does Lord H and Endeavour.

Re the treats with Glucosamine

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/joint-support-oxbow-natural-science.html .......bit pricey though :?

Z wants to work at very small incremental doses, building it up over time as and when needed. I guess with age it will hopefully mean she will remain comfortable for as long as possible. I'm glad that tablets are suitable for Lord H, Endeavour, and Graciee's Clementine though. :thumb:

Thanks! Found the same on eBay for a little cheaper. It was £8.80 for 60, so that will last her 2 months. Just have to hope the rest of the group doesn't nick them. :roll:

Last edited:
Z wants to work at very small incremental doses, building it up over time as and when needed. I guess with age it will hopefully mean she will remain comfortable for as long as possible. I'm glad that tablets are suitable for Lord H, Endeavour, and Graciee's Clementine though. :thumb:

Thanks! Found the same on eBay for a little cheaper. It was £8.80 for 60, so that will last her 2 months. Just have to hope the rest of the group doesn't nick them. :roll:

Oh gawd, that could work out to be expensive :shock:

ETA- A bit of 'light' reading for you !!

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/art.20951

Last edited:
Ah that makes sense! Yea Clementine just had the whole tablet every day, sod splitting that up [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I've split tablets into eighth before (not tramadol) and it's a right pain, even with a scalpel!

I've split tablets into eighth before (not tramadol) and it's a right pain, even with a scalpel!
Blimey that's good going, cutting those milk thistle tabs in half was challenging enough for me [emoji38] I didn't use a scalpel tho... That may have made more sense than the blunt kitchen knife.. [emoji849]

I had no clue these existed! Thanks :)

I got a tad sick of slicing my fingers when splitting some of the pills I have to take myself ! Then my 96 year old friend enlightened me to the wonders of the pill splitter:thumb:

I got a tad sick of slicing my fingers when splitting some of the pills I have to take myself ! Then my 96 year old friend enlightened me to the wonders of the pill splitter:thumb:
Haha yea it's really dangerous! The knife slips off so easily - definitely gunna get one of those :)

Blimey that's good going, cutting those milk thistle tabs in half was challenging enough for me [emoji38] I didn't use a scalpel tho... That may have made more sense than the blunt kitchen knife.. [emoji849]

What some people do is crush the tablet into powder and then divide it up.
Hard to be accurate whichever way you do it, and ultra fiddly.

Not sure why more vets can't get the liquid Tramadol if my vet is able to easily :)

What some people do is crush the tablet into powder and then divide it up.
Hard to be accurate whichever way you do it, and ultra fiddly.

Not sure why more vets can't get the liquid Tramadol if my vet is able to easily :)

You know I tried that but felt like I was really messing up the amounts haha

Elphie has her Tramadol.

She's on 0.07ml twice a day, along with 10kg dog dose of meloxaid twice a day (by splitting her original dose down). She's already looking much brighter in the eyes. :love: She's such a good girl.

Still awaiting the arrival of her glucosamine treats. Ordered the same day as Rex-Rex's new wheel. The hammie's been enjoying his new bigger wheel for a few days (he'd outgrown the old one) but still no sign of Elphie's treats. Bah.

Elphie has her Tramadol.

She's on 0.07ml twice a day, along with 10kg dog dose of meloxaid twice a day (by splitting her original dose down). She's already looking much brighter in the eyes. :love: She's such a good girl.

Still awaiting the arrival of her glucosamine treats. Ordered the same day as Rex-Rex's new wheel. The hammie's been enjoying his new bigger wheel for a few days (he'd outgrown the old one) but still no sign of Elphie's treats. Bah.

I'm glad you've got it, and that it's making her feel better :D

She really is doing great now. She even hopped down the stairs a little bit yesterday. :shock: (I was trying to tempt Enfys down but Elphie came as well!)

Her Oxbow treats arrived today. Apparently they are both "run away with" worthy and something to forget about eating partway through... :lol:

I'm so pleased that you've found medication to help Elphie :D She certainly deserves her treats.

Really pleased to hear that she's doing so much better. Tramadol helps Endeavour a lot when his arthritis flares up badly XX

She really is doing great now. She even hopped down the stairs a little bit yesterday. :shock: (I was trying to tempt Enfys down but Elphie came as well!)

Her Oxbow treats arrived today. Apparently they are both "run away with" worthy and something to forget about eating partway through... :lol:

Wonderful news :D:wave:

Whilst I'm away Elphie is being a little angel of a bunny for Mum. She takes her meloxaid like a dream and putting the tramadol on the treat and then giving the treat to her half hour later (alone, of course!) is working perfectly. I miss her like crazy though. Well I miss all of them. But at least Elphie is in a good place whilst Meadow is causing problems!

I didn't mention at the time because of the shock and horror at losing my sweet Meadow but... Mum seriously, SERIOUSLY overdosed Elphie on Tramadol whilst I was away. I wrote down clear instructions, showed her how much she needed on a syringe, made her show ME the dose with water on an old syringe... but she still screwed up. She gave her 0.7ml twice daily instead of 0.07ml. I'm furious, and I don't think I'll ever forgive her for this mistake. She believes it was acceptable because of the stress of Meadow. But no, just no. I'm not angry at having to replace the bottle, because Elphie needs it. I am angry because I think that overdosing could have killed her and might have compromised her long-term quality of life. And then result in not giving her any again, whilst waiting for a new bottle, leading to her having a serious comedown and risking the stability of the group. I now don't feel like I can go anywhere because she'll screw it up again and give her 10 days' worth in one day.

And I do wonder if she now has kidney damage. I think she might be drinking more than usual and her toileting habits have certainly gone a little downhill.

She is back at the vets for Myxo/RHD1 in a week's time, to see Z. But I'm still concerned, still worried about what it means for Elph. I have been bottling up all this frustration too, and I can't help it. Ugh.

Back