• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elphie - Pain Relief and Physiotherapy

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
So, after seeing Z today, we've decided that my darling Elphie needs to be on pain relief (Meloxaid) for life now. She also needs physiotherapy, which I've been told to watch youtube videos to administer. Just thought I'd also ask for advice here.

For reference, Elphie is about 8.5 years old, and I've had her since she was 8 weeks so I know for definite.

So, after seeing Z today, we've decided that my darling Elphie needs to be on pain relief (Meloxaid) for life now. She also needs physiotherapy, which I've been told to watch youtube videos to administer. Just thought I'd also ask for advice here.

For reference, Elphie is about 8.5 years old, and I've had her since she was 8 weeks so I know for definite.

Bless her. I am assuming that she has arthritis ? If so is it in her spine/hips ?

Not sure if contacting here may be an option for you

http://www.helpinghandsvetphysio.co.uk/rabbits/

Are you expected to administer physio yourself with only the help of YouTube videos?
In your shoes I would request an appointment with a qualified veterinary physio to show you what you should do and how to do it.

These might be of some help?

https://rabbit.org/rehabilitation-and-movement-therapy-for-your-rabbit/

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/physical-therapy.html

My vet does acupuncture and laser therapy but these might not be an option for you ...

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/acupuncture/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/laser-therapy-amazing/

Thank you, both. I always appreciate both your input. Was a busy vet day today. Zara cat came in with a grass seed IN HER EYE. A huge one at that. Z (vet, not cat!) took a picture for FB. Then the buns. Yuki and Niji for RHD2. Thankfully there's been a massive increase in demand since the local case; just a shame it took a death for it to happen. I also registered the dutches (finally) and Enfys today. Funnily enough Enfys's name got a funny look until I explained how and why she's called Enfys. Then they decided it was beautiful. :lol:

Bless her. I am assuming that she has arthritis ? If so is it in her spine/hips ?

Not sure if contacting here may be an option for you

http://www.helpinghandsvetphysio.co.uk/rabbits/

We haven't done any x-rays or anything, but I think it most likely is arthritis, and I'd say spinal as she's got bad at washing her bottom. :( Elphie is a very (physically) frail rabbit (emotionally hard as nails though) so sedation isn't an option I'm willing to put her through.

Are you expected to administer physio yourself with only the help of YouTube videos?
In your shoes I would request an appointment with a qualified veterinary physio to show you what you should do and how to do it.

These might be of some help?

https://rabbit.org/rehabilitation-and-movement-therapy-for-your-rabbit/

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/physical-therapy.html

My vet does acupuncture and laser therapy but these might not be an option for you ...

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/acupuncture/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/laser-therapy-amazing/

Z suggested YouTube as a starting point, but I wasn't sure so I'm glad I asked here. :) I'm certainly going to ask for a suggestion of a referral locally to a rabbit-savvy practitioner to show us what to do, as although I'll watch the videos, I don't want to inadvertently make things worse.

Sadly don't think laser therapy will be an option, nor acupuncture. I'll read all the links, but probably tomorrow.

Thankfully Elphie is already a bit brighter with the Meloxaid, which she took as if it was the world's greatest treat. Needless to say she took it far better than Zara did this morning. :lol:

Also guessing England might have scored as I've heard an uproar from the local pub. :lol:

Thank you, both. I always appreciate both your input. Was a busy vet day today. Zara cat came in with a grass seed IN HER EYE. A huge one at that. Z (vet, not cat!) took a picture for FB. Then the buns. Yuki and Niji for RHD2. Thankfully there's been a massive increase in demand since the local case; just a shame it took a death for it to happen. I also registered the dutches (finally) and Enfys today. Funnily enough Enfys's name got a funny look until I explained how and why she's called Enfys. Then they decided it was beautiful. :lol:

We haven't done any x-rays or anything, but I think it most likely is arthritis, and I'd say spinal as she's got bad at washing her bottom. :( Elphie is a very (physically) frail rabbit (emotionally hard as nails though) so sedation isn't an option I'm willing to put her through.

Z suggested YouTube as a starting point, but I wasn't sure so I'm glad I asked here. :) I'm certainly going to ask for a suggestion of a referral locally to a rabbit-savvy practitioner to show us what to do, as although I'll watch the videos, I don't want to inadvertently make things worse.

Sadly don't think laser therapy will be an option, nor acupuncture. I'll read all the links, but probably tomorrow.

Thankfully Elphie is already a bit brighter with the Meloxaid, which she took as if it was the world's greatest treat. Needless to say she took it far better than Zara did this morning. :lol:

Also guessing England might have scored as I've heard an uproar from the local pub. :lol:

Bless :love:

And there's always Tramadol to move onto, which I found very effective :D

Her butt was filthy, just gave her a butt bath. She fought every second of it. I'm going to try and get her to see Z or S on Monday. I think the Meloxaid isn't enough pain relief for her. She still has spirit, but the occasional shaking and the fact she's stopped washing her bum again is really worrying me. :cry:

Her butt was filthy, just gave her a butt bath. She fought every second of it. I'm going to try and get her to see Z or S on Monday. I think the Meloxaid isn't enough pain relief for her. She still has spirit, but the occasional shaking and the fact she's stopped washing her bum again is really worrying me. :cry:
Sorry cross posted - poor baby :( hoping a new or different painkiller enables her to clean herself xxx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Oh no :( I'm sorry, sending so many vibes - Is she still on painkillers? x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

We posted at the same time. Yes - she's on Meloxaid daily, 19kg dog dose. I give it to her in the evenings. I don't think it's high enough dosage and/or getting enough relief from it. She's still so spirited but just not doing everything as she should. :(

Sending loads of vibes for Elphie. I hope you get an appointment with one of your vets on Monday. Hopefully she can be helped with more pain relief.

Thinking of you. It's so distressing with poorly rabbits.

Elphie is ok today (thank goodness for cooler weather!)... I'm not. We'll try and take her tomorrow afternoon, as I have an appointment myself tomorrow morning. Our vets are pretty great at getting us in same day, and usually at least 1 (of 3) of my preferred vets is on during a weekday.

Elphie is ok today (thank goodness for cooler weather!)... I'm not. We'll try and take her tomorrow afternoon, as I have an appointment myself tomorrow morning. Our vets are pretty great at getting us in same day, and usually at least 1 (of 3) of my preferred vets is on during a weekday.

Lots of vibes for Elphie, and for you too T :love:

Thanks. :)

Guess who asks about tramadol drops when the head vet (S) is on holiday for 2 weeks? This person right here. :D Z initially didn't think there was much else to be done until I mentioned the experiences of this forum. But still couldn't figure out the best way forward to get Elphie on (liquid) tramadol. So we're either waiting to see if head nurse can order it or waiting until S is back to deal with this minefield. Z tried to figure it out, but it became clear that we weren't getting any further today. So for now, she's to remain on Meloxaid until we can figure out the best way forward for tramadol.

Whilst it is frustrating we can't get what we need NOW, I also am glad that both me and my vet can learn new things about treatment in rabbits. It means that it will only be better for the next patient who hops in. :)

Back