• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elphie - Pain Relief and Physiotherapy

T, can you split Elphie's dose to give her half of it every 12 hours instead of one every 24? That helped Mimzy intensely. Half life of metacam is about 8 hours so if she's poorly by evening after getting the full load in the a.m. that might be why. (Sorry if this has already been suggested.)

Thinking of you. xxxxx

T, can you split Elphie's dose to give her half of it every 12 hours instead of one every 24? That helped Mimzy intensely. Half life of metacam is about 8 hours so if she's poorly by evening after getting the full load in the a.m. that might be why. (Sorry if this has already been suggested.)

Thinking of you. xxxxx

Oh, that would be a good plan. I'll implement it from tomorrow evening's dose and see how it goes. She's just had her daily dose, but still exhibits some pain symptoms; doesn't like periscoping etc. so I do still think it has lost efficacy in her, but hopefully splitting the dose will mean she feels 'more' comfortable for longer periods of time.

Thank you. :love: and lots of love to you and yours. xxx

Thanks. :)

Guess who asks about tramadol drops when the head vet (S) is on holiday for 2 weeks? This person right here. :D Z initially didn't think there was much else to be done until I mentioned the experiences of this forum. But still couldn't figure out the best way forward to get Elphie on (liquid) tramadol. So we're either waiting to see if head nurse can order it or waiting until S is back to deal with this minefield. Z tried to figure it out, but it became clear that we weren't getting any further today. So for now, she's to remain on Meloxaid until we can figure out the best way forward for tramadol.

Whilst it is frustrating we can't get what we need NOW, I also am glad that both me and my vet can learn new things about treatment in rabbits. It means that it will only be better for the next patient who hops in. :)

Oh dear what a shame :(

I hope you can all figure it out soon.

How's she doing all round?

Oh dear what a shame :(

I hope you can all figure it out soon.

How's she doing all round?

She's still happy in herself, maintaining weight, still interested in hay and food, still loves a good fuss. Her movement is slower and she is not quite as mobile. Her butt is ok since the baths at the weekend.

She also threw herself into my arms to get away from Z. :lol:

If the former didn't outweigh the latter, I wouldn't just keep her going for my sake. That wouldn't be fair to her and all she means to me. I just want her to be more comfortable and get enough relief from those age-related aches and pains that she obviously has. Fingers crossed Z can sort something soon.

She's still happy in herself, maintaining weight, still interested in hay and food, still loves a good fuss. Her movement is slower and she is not quite as mobile. Her butt is ok since the baths at the weekend.

She also threw herself into my arms to get away from Z. :lol:

If the former didn't outweigh the latter, I wouldn't just keep her going for my sake. That wouldn't be fair to her and all she means to me. I just want her to be more comfortable and get enough relief from those age-related aches and pains that she obviously has. Fingers crossed Z can sort something soon.

I had a little old girl with just the same age-related aches and pains and we coped with it using tramadol. It wasn't without it's issues, but I found a way round that and it worked fine for her in the end, and until the end :)

Little Elphie today:
d0UgeA2.jpg

She seems to be enjoying the Metacam twice daily. Hopefully we'll get the Tramadol on Monday. :)

Couldn't get the Tramadol yesterday. :( Basically, all to do with its nature of a controlled substance.

We're at the vets tomorrow for Helios and Selene's RHD2 vaccination, so we'll hopefully get it then.

Couldn't get the Tramadol yesterday. :( Basically, all to do with its nature of a controlled substance.

We're at the vets tomorrow for Helios and Selene's RHD2 vaccination, so we'll hopefully get it then.

I never know why people find it so difficult to get ahold of. My vet just has it in stock and dispenses it easily (liquid form).

Really hope you get it tomorrow xx

I never know why people find it so difficult to get ahold of. My vet just has it in stock and dispenses it easily (liquid form).

Really hope you get it tomorrow xx

Still no Tramadol. :( They'll call me when it's in. Because it's a controlled substance, it takes a bit longer but it's frustrating everyone, not least Z and the head VN.

On the plus side, Z wants it to become a standard 'in stock' medication. She has to persuade S (head vet) first though.

Still no Tramadol. :( They'll call me when it's in. Because it's a controlled substance, it takes a bit longer but it's frustrating everyone, not least Z and the head VN.

On the plus side, Z wants it to become a standard 'in stock' medication. She has to persuade S (head vet) first though.

So sorry, I hope you get this by the weekend x

Tramadol is indeed a Schedule 3 Controlled Drug

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...trolled-under-the-misuse-of-drugs-legislation

and as such the supply of it comes with strict rules.

https://www.bsava.com/Resources/Veterinary-resources/Medicines-Guide/Controlled-drugs

The supply of CDs in liquid form can cause additional issues as in liquid form a CD is easier to misuse (inject) if it falls into the wrong hands.

My Vet always supplies Tramadol in Tablet form (they dissolve very easily in water/fruit juice) and she always complies 100% re the Legal requirements of prescribing, as detailed in the BSVA link above

If tablet form Tramadol would be more expeditious for your Vet to obtain then IME it can be very straight forward to dissolve each dose in some fruit juice to make it palatable to the Rabbit being treated :)

Tramadol is indeed a Schedule 3 Controlled Drug

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...trolled-under-the-misuse-of-drugs-legislation

and as such the supply of it comes with strict rules.

https://www.bsava.com/Resources/Veterinary-resources/Medicines-Guide/Controlled-drugs

The supply of CDs in liquid form can cause additional issues as in liquid form a CD is easier to misuse (inject) if it falls into the wrong hands.

My Vet always supplies Tramadol in Tablet form (they dissolve very easily in water/fruit juice) and she always complies 100% re the Legal requirements of prescribing, as detailed in the BSVA link above

If tablet form Tramadol would be more expeditious for your Vet to obtain then IME it can be very straight forward to dissolve each dose in some fruit juice to make it palatable to the Rabbit being treated :)

Yea Clementine had tramadol in tablet form, I used to crush it and put it in baby food was easy actually :)

Hope you get what you need asap xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Yea Clementine had tramadol in tablet form, I used to crush it and put it in baby food was easy actually :)

Hope you get what you need asap xx

I actually still have a bottle of Tramadol (liquid) as my vet seems to be able to get it easily :)
So much easier in a syringe, and I don't think it tastes as bad as the tablets (the rabbits tell me)

I actually still have a bottle of Tramadol (liquid) as my vet seems to be able to get it easily :)
So much easier in a syringe, and I don't think it tastes as bad as the tablets (the rabbits tell me)

My vet did say they had tramadol in tablet form, but the splitting of the tablets would become so tiny and inaccurate (like 1/6th of a tablet) for a dose. We already split Zara's (cat) epilepsy pills in two. She preferred the idea of syringing it because it would lead to more accurate doses for such a small animal as Elphie. In Z's native Poland, she used Tramadol drops on small pets, and wouldn't consider pills suitable. Without the suggestion of tramadol drops, we wouldn't have looked to move from meloxaid. :)

The halving of the meloxaid dose and giving it morning and night instead of just all at once has been really good for Elphie, and Z said she'd consider it for other patients too after that feedback. I'm just so glad I have vets who work with me, and are willing to take into account what I hear on here!

Speaking of, I need to find some glucosamine supplemented treats... :roll:

My vet did say they had tramadol in tablet form, but the splitting of the tablets would become so tiny and inaccurate (like 1/6th of a tablet) for a dose. We already split Zara's (cat) epilepsy pills in two. She preferred the idea of syringing it because it would lead to more accurate doses for such a small animal as Elphie. In Z's native Poland, she used Tramadol drops on small pets, and wouldn't consider pills suitable. Without the suggestion of tramadol drops, we wouldn't have looked to move from meloxaid. :)

The halving of the meloxaid dose and giving it morning and night instead of just all at once has been really good for Elphie, and Z said she'd consider it for other patients too after that feedback. I'm just so glad I have vets who work with me, and are willing to take into account what I hear on here!

Speaking of, I need to find some glucosamine supplemented treats... :roll:
Ah that makes sense! Yea Clementine just had the whole tablet every day, sod splitting that up [emoji38]

Back