Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 99

Thread: Elphie - Pain Relief and Physiotherapy

  1. #1
    Mama Doe tlcwrites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414

    Default Elphie - Pain Relief and Physiotherapy

    So, after seeing Z today, we've decided that my darling Elphie needs to be on pain relief (Meloxaid) for life now. She also needs physiotherapy, which I've been told to watch youtube videos to administer. Just thought I'd also ask for advice here.

    For reference, Elphie is about 8.5 years old, and I've had her since she was 8 weeks so I know for definite.
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:

    *Nyssa & Zara cats*Aurora tortoise*Zeta & Theta guinea pigs*Rex-Rex & Uraya Hamsters*
    Missing rabbits Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Takumi, Apollo, Iris, Arce, Meadowbloom, my beautiful Elphie, & Erasmus Chipper
    Hopping Mad - Bespoke timber homes and accessories for small pets.
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    136,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tlcwrites View Post
    So, after seeing Z today, we've decided that my darling Elphie needs to be on pain relief (Meloxaid) for life now. She also needs physiotherapy, which I've been told to watch youtube videos to administer. Just thought I'd also ask for advice here.

    For reference, Elphie is about 8.5 years old, and I've had her since she was 8 weeks so I know for definite.
    Bless her. I am assuming that she has arthritis ? If so is it in her spine/hips ?

    Not sure if contacting here may be an option for you

    http://www.helpinghandsvetphysio.co.uk/rabbits/


    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF)- The UK'S biggest and best organisation for Rabbit lovers

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Rabbit Health and Diseases, a list of useful online information

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2- VACCINATION IS ESSENTIAL

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...60#post7041560

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tlcwrites View Post
    So, after seeing Z today, we've decided that my darling Elphie needs to be on pain relief (Meloxaid) for life now. She also needs physiotherapy, which I've been told to watch youtube videos to administer. Just thought I'd also ask for advice here.

    For reference, Elphie is about 8.5 years old, and I've had her since she was 8 weeks so I know for definite.

    Are you expected to administer physio yourself with only the help of YouTube videos?
    In your shoes I would request an appointment with a qualified veterinary physio to show you what you should do and how to do it.

    These might be of some help?

    https://rabbit.org/rehabilitation-an...r-your-rabbit/

    http://www.disabledrabbits.com/physical-therapy.html


    My vet does acupuncture and laser therapy but these might not be an option for you ...

    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/acupuncture/

    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/laser-therapy-amazing/

  4. #4
    Mama Doe tlcwrites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414

    Default

    Thank you, both. I always appreciate both your input. Was a busy vet day today. Zara cat came in with a grass seed IN HER EYE. A huge one at that. Z (vet, not cat!) took a picture for FB. Then the buns. Yuki and Niji for RHD2. Thankfully there's been a massive increase in demand since the local case; just a shame it took a death for it to happen. I also registered the dutches (finally) and Enfys today. Funnily enough Enfys's name got a funny look until I explained how and why she's called Enfys. Then they decided it was beautiful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Bless her. I am assuming that she has arthritis ? If so is it in her spine/hips ?

    Not sure if contacting here may be an option for you

    http://www.helpinghandsvetphysio.co.uk/rabbits/
    We haven't done any x-rays or anything, but I think it most likely is arthritis, and I'd say spinal as she's got bad at washing her bottom. Elphie is a very (physically) frail rabbit (emotionally hard as nails though) so sedation isn't an option I'm willing to put her through.

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Are you expected to administer physio yourself with only the help of YouTube videos?
    In your shoes I would request an appointment with a qualified veterinary physio to show you what you should do and how to do it.

    These might be of some help?

    https://rabbit.org/rehabilitation-an...r-your-rabbit/

    http://www.disabledrabbits.com/physical-therapy.html


    My vet does acupuncture and laser therapy but these might not be an option for you ...

    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/acupuncture/

    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/laser-therapy-amazing/
    Z suggested YouTube as a starting point, but I wasn't sure so I'm glad I asked here. I'm certainly going to ask for a suggestion of a referral locally to a rabbit-savvy practitioner to show us what to do, as although I'll watch the videos, I don't want to inadvertently make things worse.

    Sadly don't think laser therapy will be an option, nor acupuncture. I'll read all the links, but probably tomorrow.

    Thankfully Elphie is already a bit brighter with the Meloxaid, which she took as if it was the world's greatest treat. Needless to say she took it far better than Zara did this morning.

    Also guessing England might have scored as I've heard an uproar from the local pub.
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:

    *Nyssa & Zara cats*Aurora tortoise*Zeta & Theta guinea pigs*Rex-Rex & Uraya Hamsters*
    Missing rabbits Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Takumi, Apollo, Iris, Arce, Meadowbloom, my beautiful Elphie, & Erasmus Chipper
    Hopping Mad - Bespoke timber homes and accessories for small pets.
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tlcwrites View Post
    Thank you, both. I always appreciate both your input. Was a busy vet day today. Zara cat came in with a grass seed IN HER EYE. A huge one at that. Z (vet, not cat!) took a picture for FB. Then the buns. Yuki and Niji for RHD2. Thankfully there's been a massive increase in demand since the local case; just a shame it took a death for it to happen. I also registered the dutches (finally) and Enfys today. Funnily enough Enfys's name got a funny look until I explained how and why she's called Enfys. Then they decided it was beautiful.



    We haven't done any x-rays or anything, but I think it most likely is arthritis, and I'd say spinal as she's got bad at washing her bottom. Elphie is a very (physically) frail rabbit (emotionally hard as nails though) so sedation isn't an option I'm willing to put her through.



    Z suggested YouTube as a starting point, but I wasn't sure so I'm glad I asked here. I'm certainly going to ask for a suggestion of a referral locally to a rabbit-savvy practitioner to show us what to do, as although I'll watch the videos, I don't want to inadvertently make things worse.

    Sadly don't think laser therapy will be an option, nor acupuncture. I'll read all the links, but probably tomorrow.

    Thankfully Elphie is already a bit brighter with the Meloxaid, which she took as if it was the world's greatest treat. Needless to say she took it far better than Zara did this morning.

    Also guessing England might have scored as I've heard an uproar from the local pub.

    Bless

    And there's always Tramadol to move onto, which I found very effective

  6. #6
    Mama Doe tlcwrites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Bless

    And there's always Tramadol to move onto, which I found very effective


    She is much brighter in herself now, which is wonderful.
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:

    *Nyssa & Zara cats*Aurora tortoise*Zeta & Theta guinea pigs*Rex-Rex & Uraya Hamsters*
    Missing rabbits Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Takumi, Apollo, Iris, Arce, Meadowbloom, my beautiful Elphie, & Erasmus Chipper
    Hopping Mad - Bespoke timber homes and accessories for small pets.
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.

  7. #7
    Mama Doe tlcwrites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414

    Default

    Oh gosh no, she's looking really tured and wobbly right now.

    I can't lose my Elphie Flump.
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:

    *Nyssa & Zara cats*Aurora tortoise*Zeta & Theta guinea pigs*Rex-Rex & Uraya Hamsters*
    Missing rabbits Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Takumi, Apollo, Iris, Arce, Meadowbloom, my beautiful Elphie, & Erasmus Chipper
    Hopping Mad - Bespoke timber homes and accessories for small pets.
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.

  8. #8
    Mama Doe tlcwrites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414

    Default

    Her butt was filthy, just gave her a butt bath. She fought every second of it. I'm going to try and get her to see Z or S on Monday. I think the Meloxaid isn't enough pain relief for her. She still has spirit, but the occasional shaking and the fact she's stopped washing her bum again is really worrying me.
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:

    *Nyssa & Zara cats*Aurora tortoise*Zeta & Theta guinea pigs*Rex-Rex & Uraya Hamsters*
    Missing rabbits Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Takumi, Apollo, Iris, Arce, Meadowbloom, my beautiful Elphie, & Erasmus Chipper
    Hopping Mad - Bespoke timber homes and accessories for small pets.
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.

  9. #9
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tlcwrites View Post
    Oh gosh no, she's looking really tured and wobbly right now.

    I can't lose my Elphie Flump.
    Oh no I'm sorry, sending so many vibes - Is she still on painkillers? x

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tlcwrites View Post
    Oh gosh no, she's looking really tured and wobbly right now.

    I can't lose my Elphie Flump.

    Thinking of you and sending loads of vibes xx

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •