• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elphie - Pain Relief and Physiotherapy

I didn't mention at the time because of the shock and horror at losing my sweet Meadow but... Mum seriously, SERIOUSLY overdosed Elphie on Tramadol whilst I was away. I wrote down clear instructions, showed her how much she needed on a syringe, made her show ME the dose with water on an old syringe... but she still screwed up. She gave her 0.7ml twice daily instead of 0.07ml. I'm furious, and I don't think I'll ever forgive her for this mistake. She believes it was acceptable because of the stress of Meadow. But no, just no. I'm not angry at having to replace the bottle, because Elphie needs it. I am angry because I think that overdosing could have killed her and might have compromised her long-term quality of life. And then result in not giving her any again, whilst waiting for a new bottle, leading to her having a serious comedown and risking the stability of the group. I now don't feel like I can go anywhere because she'll screw it up again and give her 10 days' worth in one day.

And I do wonder if she now has kidney damage. I think she might be drinking more than usual and her toileting habits have certainly gone a little downhill.

She is back at the vets for Myxo/RHD1 in a week's time, to see Z. But I'm still concerned, still worried about what it means for Elph. I have been bottling up all this frustration too, and I can't help it. Ugh.
Oh no, how worrying. Is there any one local to you on the forum that can help next time instead? When I look after other people's bunnies I check, double check, triple check meds as I know how important it is. I'm hoping everything will be ok, my vet told me that bunnies can handle high doses of pain killers much more than a dog or cat xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Oh no, how worrying. Is there any one local to you on the forum that can help next time instead? When I look after other people's bunnies I check, double check, triple check meds as I know how important it is. I'm hoping everything will be ok, my vet told me that bunnies can handle high doses of pain killers much more than a dog or cat xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I don't know/think so. :( What I might do for overnight stays is prep the treats before leaving, as it's only 2 treats and doses of tramadol. I'll talk to Z next week. I did mention it to D (who is less experienced but still ok) and he expressed concerns of kidney and liver function after such an overdose. But like you said, we know how well rabbits can tolerate pain relief. Especially when comparing a tiny bunny's dose to that of a dog. (My dad's 20kg ancient dog is on the same dose of metacam as 2kg Elphie!) And now I've said that, I'm wondering just how massive a Conti's dose of metacam would be. :shock:

Thankfully she still has a massive zest for life, and she absolutely adores her Oxbow Joint Support treats (laced with Tramadol, which she hates otherwise) and scrambles on my lap for metacam. All we do for her is essentially palliative care now. And the very thought of that is simply agonising. :cry:

I don't know/think so. :( What I might do for overnight stays is prep the treats before leaving, as it's only 2 treats and doses of tramadol. I'll talk to Z next week. I did mention it to D (who is less experienced but still ok) and he expressed concerns of kidney and liver function after such an overdose. But like you said, we know how well rabbits can tolerate pain relief. Especially when comparing a tiny bunny's dose to that of a dog. (My dad's 20kg ancient dog is on the same dose of metacam as 2kg Elphie!) And now I've said that, I'm wondering just how massive a Conti's dose of metacam would be. :shock:

Thankfully she still has a massive zest for life, and she absolutely adores her Oxbow Joint Support treats (laced with Tramadol, which she hates otherwise) and scrambles on my lap for metacam. All we do for her is essentially palliative care now. And the very thought of that is simply agonising. :cry:
I'm sorry your mum gave her too much tramadol, that's awful :(

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
deleted. Elphie is same as earlier post; worried that her health is failing, still loving life.

Last edited:
deleted. Elphie is same as earlier post; worried that her health is failing, still loving life. She's on such a small dose of tramadol that sometimes, I think more goes to waste in drawing it up. :roll:

Last edited:
I'm really sorry this happened with your Mum.

To be honest, I would get a blood test and see whether there's any change in kidney/liver values.

I hope all will be OK and that she springs back to normal xx
(Really wish I lived closer and I could have helped you)

I'm really sorry this happened with your Mum.

To be honest, I would get a blood test and see whether there's any change in kidney/liver values.

I hope all will be OK and that she springs back to normal xx
(Really wish I lived closer and I could have helped you)

Thanks MM. I wish so, too.

She's been up and down with fraility for 2.5 years now, since she lost her sisterbun Galinda. In many ways I feel grateful that I've been given these extra years with her, because they are a gift that I didn't necessarily deserve. I have told her she's not allowed to die, so maybe she's trying to prove me right! She is so, so special and such a fighter. Even started going down the stairs (well 1 step) today. Which is more than Yuki and Niji dare, dumb boys ;). I'll report back after seeing Z, sooner if she goes downhill. Hopefully she's maintaining weight and otherwise doing well. Z liked the Oxbow treats for her I had (showed her the empty bag) and told the new vet that we're crazy and have 'millions of rabbits' as we were talking about 1 who wasn't there that day!

Argh, rabbits. :(

Elphie has been picking fights with other rabbits. :( Only minor injuries (on others) but worrying. Sign that pain relief isn't high enough any more? She also hides in the bathroom a lot, away from the others. Still has normal levels of interest in food, though.

Argh, rabbits. :(

Elphie has been picking fights with other rabbits. :( Only minor injuries (on others) but worrying. Sign that pain relief isn't high enough any more? She also hides in the bathroom a lot, away from the others. Still has normal levels of interest in food, though.

Calming vibes ...... Boy you need them right now xx

Elphie has had her Nobivac done today. The fact she's well enough for it is a great sign. She has, however, lost a little weight. Otherwise, everything else is ok. She threw herself both into my arms, and the vets! (Very honoured vet right there.) She can theoretically go up to approx 0.2ml of tramadol per dosage so 0.09ml (up from 0.07ml) has made a big difference and she's doing better. Although today she has managed to fall over whilst twisting to eat ash leaves, periscope multiple times, and climb the stairs. A mixed bag indeed.

Elphie has had her Nobivac done today. The fact she's well enough for it is a great sign. She has, however, lost a little weight. Otherwise, everything else is ok. She threw herself both into my arms, and the vets! (Very honoured vet right there.) She can theoretically go up to approx 0.2ml of tramadol per dosage so 0.09ml (up from 0.07ml) has made a big difference and she's doing better. Although today she has managed to fall over whilst twisting to eat ash leaves, periscope multiple times, and climb the stairs. A mixed bag indeed.

Yes, up and down - I find this often happens when buns get either older or a chronic health issue.

How's she doing today, and how are you? xx

Yes, up and down - I find this often happens when buns get either older or a chronic health issue.

How's she doing today, and how are you? xx

She's doing great today; keeping up with the rest of her gang. She periscoped for her meloxaid this morning, so definitely a good day for her. Makes me happy.

I'm usual, up and down like my Elph. :lol: They do say pets resemble their owners. ;)

Hope you're doing well, too. xxx

She's doing great today; keeping up with the rest of her gang. She periscoped for her meloxaid this morning, so definitely a good day for her. Makes me happy.

I'm usual, up and down like my Elph. :lol: They do say pets resemble their owners. ;)

Hope you're doing well, too. xxx

Thank you, well as I can be :)

They certainly can be little mood-setters ... :love:

I'm hurting more than I can describe.

It's a day to say goodbye for me. I'm bawling my eyes out, but every single milligram of this pain is worth it to have spent 8 and a half years with my wonderful Elphie. :'( <3 <3

I'm hurting more than I can describe.

It's a day to say goodbye for me. I'm bawling my eyes out, but every single milligram of this pain is worth it to have spent 8 and a half years with my wonderful Elphie. :'( <3 <3

I am thinking of you and willing you to be brave for Elphie xxx

Back