• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Solder fumes toxic to bunnies?

Graciee

Staff member
I know this is a weird one [emoji38]

The solder is lead free, just wondering if it'll cause any harm? My boyfriend text me wants to build his drone.. But that'll mean soldering near buns.. Anyone have any thoughts? [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Not weird at all. I have strong thoughts & feelings on this one as I believe my bunnies got really sick (& took forever to recover) after being exposed to solder fumes. This was my thread.http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?461503-Please-can-Joey-amp-Boo-have-some-get-well-vibes/page4 I think post 34 mentions soldering but F in law didn't admit to it til much much later. Joey & Boo are more sociable so its likely they will have got closer to him than Mouse. I really wouldn't risk it xx

I know this is a weird one [emoji38]

The solder is lead free, just wondering if it'll cause any harm? My boyfriend text me wants to build his drone.. But that'll mean soldering near buns.. Anyone have any thoughts? [emoji38]

I've not had direct experience as Joey has, but it's not something I would personally allow. I would move the buns or the soldering.
I just don't feel it's worth the risk. I think you'd feel that way too Grace? :)

Not weird at all. I have strong thoughts & feelings on this one as I believe my bunnies got really sick (& took forever to recover) after being exposed to solder fumes. This was my thread.http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?461503-Please-can-Joey-amp-Boo-have-some-get-well-vibes/page4 I think post 34 mentions soldering but F in law didn't admit to it til much much later. Joey & Boo are more sociable so its likely they will have got closer to him than Mouse. I really wouldn't risk it xx
Ah thank you so much for letting me know, sorry that happened to your bunnies :( I'll have a look at that thread, but he'll have to do the soldering outside I think x

I've not had direct experience as Joey has, but it's not something I would personally allow. I would move the buns or the soldering.
I just don't feel it's worth the risk. I think you'd feel that way too Grace? :)

Yep I feel the same :) thanks x

I also think it would be good to do the soldering as far away as possible, from the bunnies. :D
Yea I thought I'd just check, but he's doing it outside with them inside and doors shut :)

Definitely no soldering near rabbits. Lead free makes little difference to its toxicity, because most of the harm comes from the flux fumes.

Back