Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Encouraging final steps in bonding, advice please!

Thanks for the advice. Sorry to hear about your bun Oreo, but glad Pandora has a new friend now. It's also good to hear introducing a new bun into another's territory can work well.

It's been over 12 hours now without fights/scuffles (tiny bit of nipping/chasing, but otherwise fine) and they've been on their own in the kitchen for a couple of hours without any problems. They're currently sat snuggled side by side, so I think they're ready I'm in the process of cleaning the shed now, so we will try putting them in there together in a couple of hours, wish them luck!

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by NyxTaryn View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Sorry to hear about your bun Oreo, but glad Pandora has a new friend now. It's also good to hear introducing a new bun into another's territory can work well.

It's been over 12 hours now without fights/scuffles (tiny bit of nipping/chasing, but otherwise fine) and they've been on their own in the kitchen for a couple of hours without any problems. They're currently sat snuggled side by side, so I think they're ready I'm in the process of cleaning the shed now, so we will try putting them in there together in a couple of hours, wish them luck!
    I would put them in the shed early morning when you have lots of time. Were you thinking of leaving them in the shed overnight?

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    I would put them in the shed early morning when you have lots of time. Were you thinking of leaving them in the shed overnight?
    That might be a more sensible suggestion...I'm a bit sleep deprived The plan was to leave them overnight in the shed but monitor them, but you're right leaving them another night in the kitchen then moving them in the morning will be better.

That way I can sleep on the sofa tonight (the things we go through for pets ) and if they scuffle in the kitchen it will wake me up rather than falling asleep watching them on a screen or sleeping in the shed, plus they get an extra evening to cement their bond. Then all being well, we'll move them early morning, sit with them for a while and monitor them throughout the day. Depending on how they react, we can then either leave them overnight there without supervision, keep monitoring them, one of us can sleep on the floor with them in the shed, or we can move them back into the kitchen if we absolutely have to.

They're doing great at the moment by the way, lots of grooming and snuggling and still no fights or scuffles

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by NyxTaryn View Post
    That might be a more sensible suggestion...I'm a bit sleep deprived The plan was to leave them overnight in the shed but monitor them, but you're right leaving them another night in the kitchen then moving them in the morning will be better.

That way I can sleep on the sofa tonight (the things we go through for pets ) and if they scuffle in the kitchen it will wake me up rather than falling asleep watching them on a screen or sleeping in the shed, plus they get an extra evening to cement their bond. Then all being well, we'll move them early morning, sit with them for a while and monitor them throughout the day. Depending on how they react, we can then either leave them overnight there without supervision, keep monitoring them, one of us can sleep on the floor with them in the shed, or we can move them back into the kitchen if we absolutely have to.

They're doing great at the moment by the way, lots of grooming and snuggling and still no fights or scuffles
    It sounds good! Hop you manage to get some sleep tonight and fingers crossed for a really successful day tomorrow.

Thanks tonibun! It should be comfier than the kitchen floor at least I'll post an update tomorrow, fingers crossed!

Update: they were great in the night - a little bit of butt nipping/chasing, but it seemed playful or just 'oi move' rather than aggressive. They've been flopped together, snuggling and sleeping together, with lots of grooming. And most importantly - no fights! (It's been about 36 hrs since they last fought, so I think that danger has passed). I did have to go into the room to stop him eating a foil lid he'd found at one point tho

We moved them into the now nicely clean shed about half an hour ago, with their trays, a blanket they were sleeping on, and a few toys. There were a couple of stamps from her at first and some chasing about, requests for grooms etc, but nothing aggressive. It seemed like she was trying her luck a bit, doing some of the chasing/groom requests herself, so there may have been a slight power struggle going on at first. She did groom him a little when he asked for it though, and he's since groomed her as well. They also sat in the litter tray together for the first time briefly and have been snuggled up together. Things seem to be settling down now - she's currently loafed and he's having a wash near her.

So, all in all, if the current situation continues, I think we can consider them successfully bonded!

I'll keep an eye on them for the day to make sure they're ok, but I'm very pleased with how they're doing. Thank you for all the advice and support, it's much appreciated!

Wise Old Thumper

It sounds good to me. Just keep things low key for a few days, nothing different that might upset her, and it looks like you have 2 happy rabbits!

Sounds like a good idea - we've kept the cat flap closed for now, so we'll give them a few days to settle before we open it again, in case too much space at once upsets them.

Do rabbits have their own versions of submissive and dominant by the way? (As in, some pairs one does absolutely everything the other says and never gets groomed, and others are a bit more equal, like ok you get more grooming but you still have to groom me, etc). Just wondering as for a while it seemed like she was ok with him as 'topbun' but not wanting to put up with him bossing her about all the time, so perhaps they've been taking longer to work out the finer kinks/boundaries.

Wise Old Thumper

Once they've been together a while they are more or less equal in a way. The girls tend to pinch the boys' food if they can, but it's only when they display Referred Aggression you find out which the dominant one is. The male is the dominant one in most of my pairs but funnily enough it's the males which do most of the grooming. They are very complicated.

They certainly are complex little creatures! That's interesting that the male is dominant in most of your pairs, I thought females were more often the dominant ones, but I guess it just depends on the pair. It's interesting to see the different ways they act in different pairs and the behaviour they pick up from each other. He's still doing less grooming than her at the minute, but she is pretty 'licky' as bunnies go (less so than her daughter was - she was constantly grooming her mum and us too - but she still licks our hands, legs, sometimes face a lot if she's in the right mood). She seems to have picked up his habit for flopping already, which is lovely to see I think we've probably seen her flop more in the last week than in the last year! I'll post some pics of them together soon, they make a lovely pair and are being very sweet with each other now