• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Been admitted - U/D She didn't make it (some upsetting content)

I'm so so sorry for your loss :'( please don't blame yourself, it's not your fault, it's just really crappy luck and my heart goes out to you. I know exactly what it feels like to only have a handful of months with a bunny, and feel cheated by it, and blaming yourself is so so easy :(

I really am so sorry :'( just be kind to yourself xxx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Oh no, that's awful. :cry:

You've had 9 months to show her just how wonderful life can be, free from a prison. You transformed her (and Thor and Loki's) life and I'm sure you gave her her very best days. Don't blame yourself for not having her spayed sooner; you don't need to justify it to us, although blaming yourself is always incredibly tempting. The fact is you overhauled their existence and that required a huge amount of energy, physically, mentally, emotionally - and yes, financially too, for you all. Skye was previously a rabbit whose existence was defined by her ability to make money. You made it so that her existence became one of just being herself.

Most importantly, Skye wouldn't have known how sick she was. You took all the right steps in seeking her help in these last 2 painful days. And you made her life actually be hers, not just being breeding 'stock'. Treat yourselves kindly in your grief, take comfort in each other and your other lovely rabbits. It may be awful now whilst the grief is raw, but you'll be able to look back at these 9 months with pride and bittersweet memories given time. They are never around for long enough for us, but she passed as part of a family, and that is the greatest gift you could have given her.

Meet up with Sydney and Darwin at the Bridge now, Skye. You're healthy and whole again now. Watch over your family with them and binky free. xxx

I want to reciprocate all of the above words. I am in tears for you.

I'm so sorry ThreeBs :( You did your best, so much more love than she would otherwise have seen. She was always happy and bouncy once she was out of that hutch, and sometimes lives are lived so bright and so short. We'll never forget her here: even though she was only here less than 24hrs, she was such a HUGE, outgoing and excited personality. I can't imagine what you feel but I know it must be a thousand times worse than what we feel :( Best wishes to you all :(

She didn't make it :cry:

She had begun eating for herself and pooing again during the day, but the bloating and mass remained. The vet suspected she had a tumour. They sedated her to put a tube down to relief the gas build up (I think) but there was blood, so indicated there was damage. She would have had a scan today to find out what was going on, but after this discovery the vet said she wouldn't make it and we should let her go.

I feel distraught, she was only around 3 years old and fine the day before. She was so beautiful and gentle and I had so many plans for her. I only had 9 months to show her what life could be like outside a tiny hutch, being used for breeding. But never got to show her what having a friend would be like.

I'll never know the exact cause, but if it was ovarian cancer then I could have prevented it by having her spayed months ago. We were just never able to free up the funds and it kept getting put off.

I didn't even get to say goodbye. She had been in the surgery since Tuesday evening and yesterday morning she was quite stable. I was so busy all day and thinking well 'no news is good news' at 7pm she was being transferred between locations in the pet ambulance (due to night cover) and then late last night... I really thought she might get through this.

I've literally cried almost constantly since, keep breaking down. Couldn't speak on the phone to the vet and I had to call work today to say I couldn't make it and cried to them too. I worry they might think she was 'just a rabbit' but they are like my babies. My dd is so upset too, she's already seeing the school counsellor because she gets anxious about school etc.

Thank you for all the messages x

So truly sorry to hear of the passing of Skye. How awful for you. Sending lots of love and bunny hugs your way

Very sorry to hear you lost her. Echoing the others, even though it was a shorter time she had with you, it would have been utter bliss for her knowing love and comfort. Sleep tight Skye xxx

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. Tlc, that's so beautifully written and a real comfort, thank you.

I'm feeling so completely gutted. Didn't go to work, slept mostly. These precious little creatures really get you in the heart don't they!

Binky free Skye xx

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. Tlc, that's so beautifully written and a real comfort, thank you.

I'm feeling so completely gutted. Didn't go to work, slept mostly. These precious little creatures really get you in the heart don't they!

Binky free Skye xx

They certainly do, even if we only get to have a very short amount of time with them :cry:

I am so very sorry to read of the sad loss of Skye. She wasn't just a rabbit - she was a special soul to you. You gave her the very best life that she deserved filled with unconditional love and care. She was in the safest of places with you and you did more for her in the short time, than others do in a lifetime. You gave her her freedom back and that is a special thing. Rest in peace beautiful Skye. xx

So sorry. You did a fantastic thing taking those bunnies on. The unexpected loss of a bunny can hit you so shockingly hard. Hope you are feeling better soon x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Binky free Skye xx

No doubt about that x

I hope you're OK xx

I’m so sorry to hear this 3bs, I remember you getting her, you gave her a wonderful happy time and you did all you could. Binky free Skye xx

Thanks everyone. Feeling a little better today and work was a good distraction.

I'm trying to focus on the fact that for those nine months she could run, stretch out, explore, eat quality food and her nightly veg. Instead of being cooped up in the smallest hutch imaginable. Keletkezes, the amazing lady who collected the three of them, knows just how bad it was.

It will never feel long enough, but at least I could give her that x

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your lovely friend. She had excellent care and many months of love and companionship and you made sure she had the medical care she needed to give her the best chance.

Back