• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sulfamethoxazole cost

Lady Logamorph

Mama Doe
Hi Guys, I've just been prescribed a 100ml bottle of pediatric Sulfamethoxazole (septrin) for my conti big Daisy who has has nasal discharge and sneezing and the vet charged me £41

Just wondered if anyone else has been charged this much? I did query it and the vet said they had to use a different supplier but it's normally around £15.

The only reason I requested septrin was due to Daisy hating the taste of baytril so I find it easier to give her. Trying to give meds to a 6.3kg rabbit isn't always easy :roll:

Hi Guys, I've just been prescribed a 100ml bottle of pediatric Sulfamethoxazole (septrin) for my conti big Daisy who has has nasal discharge and sneezing and the vet charged me £41

Just wondered if anyone else has been charged this much? I did query it and the vet said they had to use a different supplier but it's normally around £15.

The only reason I requested septrin was due to Daisy hating the taste of baytril so I find it easier to give her. Trying to give meds to a 6.3kg rabbit isn't always easy :roll:

Hiya

If Daisy needs any more Septrin then it may work out cheaper to obtain a prescription from your Vet (Usually costs C£10.00) and either buy it online or from a local Independent Pharmacy.

There is now a licensed Veterinary alternative to Septrin (which is a human medication).

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Sulfatrim-Oral-Drops-30ml/productinfo/SULFATRIM/

Last edited:
Thanks Jane, I did ring my vet who has now researched the drug and said he will order in the licensed Veterinary alternative and he's credited my account with £20. The bottle I have contains 100ml and daisy is on 4.5ml twice a day so this gives me 11 days worth so I'm hoping that should be a long enough course.

Haven't seen you in a while - I hope all is well with you? :wave:

Septrin is usually more palatable than Baytril, that's for sure :)

Thanks Jane, I did ring my vet who has now researched the drug and said he will order in the licensed Veterinary alternative and he's credited my account with £20. The bottle I have contains 100ml and daisy is on 4.5ml twice a day so this gives me 11 days worth so I'm hoping that should be a long enough course.

Great, hopefully Daisy's snotty nose will clear up with the course of treatment xx

Good result :thumb:

Haven't seen you in a while - I hope all is well with you? :wave:

Septrin is usually more palatable than Baytril, that's for sure :)

Thanks MightyMax yes I'm still lurking around now and again!
Yes Septrin smells lovely...I had a little taste of baytril by accident once when it was on my hand so I totally understand why rabbits hate it :lol:

thanks Jane. I'm sure she will shes quite a resilient bunny. I don't know if you remember but she was the bunny who choked on a SS pellet a couple of days after being neutered which resulted in me holding her upside down in an attempt to dislodge it and then rushing her to the vets. Even after her face starting to turn blue she still survived! She really is the toughest bunny I've ever had!

thanks Jane. I'm sure she will shes quite a resilient bunny. I don't know if you remember but she was the bunny who choked on a SS pellet a couple of days after being neutered which resulted in me holding her upside down in an attempt to dislodge it and then rushing her to the vets. Even after her face starting to turn blue she still survived! She really is the toughest bunny I've ever had!

Yes, I remember that very well. Yet again a SS pellet being involved in a choking episode. Having witnessed the exact same thing myself with one of my previous Rabbits I know it's something never to be forgotten. Absolutely terrifying xx

Thanks MightyMax yes I'm still lurking around now and again!
Yes Septrin smells lovely...I had a little taste of baytril by accident once when it was on my hand so I totally understand why rabbits hate it :lol:

Good to see you and that you are still taking rabbit meds :lol:

Yes, I remember that very well. Yet again a SS pellet being involved in a choking episode. Having witnessed the exact same thing myself with one of my previous Rabbits I know it's something never to be forgotten. Absolutely terrifying xx

Choking is awful to watch isn't it. I know you managed to dislodge the pellet yourself but I couldn't get daisy upside down due to her size. I'm just glad my out of hours vet was there within 15 minutes otherwise I'm certain Daisy would have died. Supreme don't seem to think the pellet size is an issue I talked to them about it and they just will not recognise the pellet shape contributed to the choking incident. :roll:

Back