• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Started Bonding - shall I continue ?

On the advice of my vet (rabbit savvy) , I’ve started introductions for my 6 month old doe and 10 week old buck .

I had planned to wait at least 3 months until buck was neutered etc but the vet said the sooner it’s done the better .

I have a pen in neutral territory and I’ve been popping them in there .

My doe has actually been very sweet and appears more than comfortable - grooming herself , flopping and eating .

She sniffs and licks the buck with an attempt at humping .

The baby buck however , is very scared and he honks and runs whenever she comes near him . He jumps out of the pen in panic and sits shaking and doesn’t move .

So far we’ve been putting them in together with food and treats which my doe laps up the boy is too scared to eat .

They’ve been in an hour each time and we’ve had 4 sessions over 1.5 days .

The plan is to do this twice per day but I’m not sure if it’s too stressful for my little buck ?

He gets so frightened he just stays still but my doe comes up to him and licks him and puts her head down to the ground so the problem isn’t her .

The fact he’s honking makes me feel bad for him but is this a case of being cruel to be kind in the long run?

I am a bit surprised your Vet advised this. From your description it doesn't sound at all good, especially for the baby rabbit. As a baby he needs good experiences and this is not one so he can mature into a happy, healthy, confident bunny. Sorry if you have already mentioned, but is your female spayed?

Yes she’s spayed.

The odd thing is the boy bun when separated just by the cage bars , chases her and tries to lick her , follows her around and seems keen to be with her !

Back