Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baby Wild Rabbit Advice Please

Thanks for the link Zoobec, some interesting stuff in it. I have hand reared a new born domestic bunny, with reluctant help from his mum, but it was awhile ago and I've forgotten a lot of what I did.

Bun is feeling better I believe tonight. Has come out of the sleeping box and been exploring around the cage. Currently sat behind the sleeping box. Has also eaten some unsoftened rabbit nuggets as well as grasses, bramble tips and grass seed heads.

The skin abrasion has virtually healed.

Wise Old Thumper

Just sending loads of vibes for your baby Wildie It sounds as though he/she is progressing well.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

So glad bunny is doing well!

Yeah, Floki and Scamp are the two wildies that always come to mind for me

Quote Originally Posted by hartleyhare View Post
    William thanks for your reply. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you have said. I'm pleased you have pointed out the 'myths '. My vet will treat all wildlife and the Hedgehogs they get they send to me. They treated Scrappy, the wild rat. He was such a loving, gentle boy, I do miss him and his little ratty kisses. What is your wildie Rat's story?.

As far as wildie bun is concerned I did clean the abrasion when he arrived and it's been checked daily. It looks to be healing up. He was quite shocked when he arrived obviously but has calmed down a lot and looks a lot brighter . He/she is pooing/weeing ok. I have offered some softened rabbit food and a selection of fresh foods. The soft food has been eaten a little.

I am hopeful that the head tilt will improve either with or without treatment. It doesn't look as pronounced this morning, although I did find with Scrappy the wild Rat that it improved and then reached a plateau and stopped improving. I'm inclined to observe for a couple more days before a vet visit. I will take bun if need be but a vet visit will obviously be stressful and involves a car journey. I'm not thinking too far ahead at the moment, just aiming to deal with the immediate situation day by day.
    Yeah, wildlife rescues/rehabbers say to practice basic hygiene but that baby rats pose little to no health risk because if they had a serious disease they would've died already - baby rats are so delicate!

I think it's good you haven't risked a vet visit yet and are just dealing with it day by day - that's my idea as well! As last thing you want is to cause unnecessary stress in the crucial recovery period. Whenever I rescue wild critters I usually first make sure they're comfortable in a dark, quiet, warm room (for most animals, I put them in a 10 or 20 gal. fish tank with a blanket draped over it and supplemental heat if needed). I then let them de-stress for a bit and then assess the situation and decide what the next step should be. The most important thing is to get them out of shock this way, and get them eating/drinking. I expect you know all this, but for anyone else reading this, imo this will get the best results, unless it's a real emergency situation.

Well the story is I've had 3 baby (2-3 week) roof/black rats (Rattus rattus) that I rescued from cats. The first was Nezumi. He had an injury but recovered (though was still disabled) but then 2 months later he got sick and died And then my other two, Kichiro and Yoshitoki, are 2.5 yrs and over 1 yr. Kichi had a streak of blood on his fur from a slight cut, but healed fine by himself. Yoshi wasn't injured at all but he was only 2 wks old so not weaned, however he immediately took to eye dropper feeding and fell in love with me about at the same time. They're both such funny, lovely, intelligent rats, and Yoshi is so affectionate, he comes when called (cage-free in my bedroom) and will sit and beg for head rubs until my hands are tired lol.

I’m glad baby wildie is doing well, sending lots of vibes

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

So, little bun has gone from 265g to 325g in a week. Eating nuggets, veg and fresh grasses well but not sure how much hay is being eaten. I'm quite rubbish at sexing very young buns so still not sure whether boy or girl.

The head tilt looks slightly more pronounced but this may be because bun has grown. His mobility is good but has slight sideways gait and vision appears reduced on side of tilt. Doesn't stop him from jumping on top of his sleeping box though and sitting up to have a look at what's going on. I have had a rabbit and a wild rat with head tilts and they coped fine. Currently have a Guinea Pig with a head tilt and again he doesn't let it bother him. A wild rabbit with this kind of impairment is a different matter altogether.

If it should become necessary to keep bun would he bond with another bun ( domestic )? I'm just thinking ahead and trying to plan for all eventualities.

So, little bun has gone from 265g to 325g in a week. Eating nuggets, veg and fresh grasses well but not sure how much hay is being eaten. I'm quite rubbish at sexing very young buns so still not sure whether boy or girl.

The head tilt looks slightly more pronounced but this may be because bun has grown. His mobility is good but has slight sideways gait and vision appears reduced on side of tilt. Doesn't stop him from jumping on top of his sleeping box though and sitting up to have a look at what's going on. I have had a rabbit and a wild rat with head tilts and they coped fine. Currently have a Guinea Pig with a head tilt and again he doesn't let it bother him. A wild rabbit with this kind of impairment is a different matter altogether.

If it should become necessary to keep bun would he bond with another bun ( domestic )? I'm just thinking ahead and trying to plan for all eventualities.

Parsnipbun on here (Twigs Way) has bonded a wildie with domestics. She's busy atm but I'm sure she would respond to a PM.
    Otherwise I have her personal email address.

Well, I just went into the lounge and there is little Amber flopped out in his cage, back legs outstretched!! How very sweet is that.

Aww he sounds like he is very happy I’m glad he is doing well we need pics

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

I would if I knew how. I'll have to have a deeper look at the forum, sure there are instructions somewhere.

I would if I knew how. I'll have to have a deeper look at the forum, sure there are instructions somewhere.
    you need to sign up to imgur or some other hosting site. Imgur is really easy. Failing that you can PM me & I'll give you my email address & upload them for you