• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pro C pro biotic to aid moulting and hair in poo?

Leannean27

Alpha Buck
I'm not overly concerned but Ralph has had hair in his droppings this last week - he is having a moult which I believe he's nearly finished now. There's never been a long string of them just the odd one on its own or joined to one more.

I brush him twice a day at the moment and he has plenty of hay and water which I know are the main things but I was thinking for his next moult of getting him some pro biotics just to boost his system. Has anyone tried the Pro C pro biotics by Vertark or similar?

Whilst searching I also read that moulting is stressful for rabbits, is this true and why?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm not overly concerned but Ralph has had hair in his droppings this last week - he is having a moult which I believe he's nearly finished now. There's never been a long string of them just the odd one on its own or joined to one more.

I brush him twice a day at the moment and he has plenty of hay and water which I know are the main things but I was thinking for his next moult of getting him some pro biotics just to boost his system. Has anyone tried the Pro C pro biotics by Vertark or similar?

Whilst searching I also read that moulting is stressful for rabbits, is this true and why?

I've used that stuff not for moulting tho, I never know what to do really when it comes to mine moulting, so hopefully someone else can answer that properly for you :)

I've heard pineapple juice can help with fur passing through maybe? May want to do some googling on that.

I think it's stressful on their digestive system as opposed to stressful for them? As they inevitably end up eating hair and it has to pass through them... I could be wrong though [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Anything that encourages increased water intake during a moult can help to keep things moving through. Fibre is also very important. So lots and lots of hay/grass.

I give one of my Rabbits Avipro C daily as he has a chronic GI tract problem. Although I am now giving him the Pro-C Professional, a similar product

https://www.vetark.co.uk/Shop/Wildlife/Health/ProC-Professional2.aspx

He has had the product daily for about 3 and a half years. It has proved to be very beneficial and it has certainly not had any adverse side effects. All of my Rabbits will drink a lot more water if Avipro C/Pro-C Professional is added, the product contains glucose so tastes sweet. Which some people may claim to be a really bad thing. But then will go on to advise giving Pineapple Juice, which is equally sweet (fructose). So it's really a personal decision as to what one considers to be 'good' or 'bad' as far as that goes.

In your situation I would do as you are doing re the regular grooming. If he has a companion Rabbit they will need grooming too as Rabbits often groom each other, ingesting the other Rabbit's fur as they do so.

I would use one of the Avipro products, even if all it does is encourage water intake. It wont do any harm

Any of these would be fine

https://www.vetark.co.uk/Shop/Wildlife/Health/ProC-Professional2.aspx

https://www.vetark.co.uk/Shop/Wildlife/Health/ProC_3.aspx

https://www.vetark.co.uk/Shop/Dogs/Health/Avipro-Plus_1.aspx

Re Pineapple Juice :

''The usefulness of enzymatic products (eg papain) to digest hairballs is debatable – these products do not actually digest hair but may help to break down the matrix holding the material together. Pineapple juice is often advocated as it contains the enzyme bromelain, (and papaya contains the enzyme papain) but these are high in simple sugars and low in fibre, which may promote an imbalance of ‘good’ and ‘bad’ bacteria in the gut. In reality anecdotal reports of pineapple juice helping with hairballs is probably due to it providing rehydration and being an energy source''

Full article here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/article-ROWinter10p7.pdf

Hi Leanne :wave:

You could use Avipro, sure, but there's no evidence that it will do any good apart from make the rabbit drink more water because it's sweet :) Adding a bit of apple juice to the water will have the same effect but with natural sweetness of fruit.

To boost the system (because moulting is a strain on the immune system) you could try echinacea:

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

Also, moulting takes extra energy, so you could feed a bit of readigrass or a few extra pellets or forage during this time.

Regarding pineapple juice, I never used to use it, but my lovely vet suggested it on one occasion, and I trust her judgement. So you can choose whether you use it or not! :)

I always give my bunnies lots of extra bramble leaves when they're going through a moult. They're supposed to be very good for bunnies' tummies and should help push any ingested fur through their system. I believe plantain is also very good for this too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated - for now I've got some apple juice and more bramble leaves from the allotment but will defo get some of the pro biotics for the next moult. Will need to look into the echinea (sorry about spelling) as not heard or come across that before

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated - for now I've got some apple juice and more bramble leaves from the allotment but will defo get some of the pro biotics for the next moult. Will need to look into the echinea (sorry about spelling) as not heard or come across that before

Welcome :)

Google echinacea immune system boost and you'll get loads of info :D
Some folks don't approve of herbal medicine, but I have used it for years and there's scientific proof that it works :thumb:

Back