• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A sombre question, but ...

No, good point! Our wills are half sorted: they got my details wrong so I need to get in touch and haven't got round to it possibly a year or weo later?! XD So it's not signed or legal or anything yet.

I would never put anything about pets in a will, because I don't want to pay a solicitor to change it every time I have a new pet. From time to time I've updated my mum and dad about what ought to happen to our pets. And the rescue paperwork is easy to find.

I would never put anything about pets in a will, because I don't want to pay a solicitor to change it every time I have a new pet. From time to time I've updated my mum and dad about what ought to happen to our pets. And the rescue paperwork is easy to find.

You can put in a generic clause something like 'The pets I have at the time of my death' ... etc
That covers any and all pets, regardless :)

You can put in a generic clause something like 'The pets I have at the time of my death' ... etc
That covers any and all pets, regardless :)

But then you're surely just saying something vague like 'should be returned to whichever rescue they are from'.

No, you can whatever you wish regarding their ongoing care. Doesn't have to be vague at all :)

I still think it would be vague if it were 'whatever pets I happen to have at this time'. But maybe that's just me!

I think I'm just confused as to the sorts of things that people are actually writing, beyond 'return to the rescue'. If the pets were to be looked after by a certain person, that shouldn't really need to be written in a will if you've made an agreement with the person previously before writing it in the will.

I guess you might want your rabbits to go to a different person to dogs, for instance, so there might be some need for pet-specific variation (or even personality of various pets, e.g. if a cat can't cope with being in a multi-cat household). You could potentially nominate a person who you would want to be responsible for sorting out what happens to them after your death, so someone you would trust to make the appropriate decisions. If you know your death is coming, it would be easier to get some of this stuff sorted out in advance by talking to people and coming to arrangements, but if it's sudden and unexpected that would be more problematic. I guess the other thing is you could provide for them in your will by nominating a certain amount of money to be used for their ongoing care?

Lou knows she's in charge of sorting out mine in the event of my untimely demise, and I suspect it's mutual :D

I suppose what I'm thinking is, you wouldn't want it to be big shock to someone to suddenly find themselves named in a will as being responsible for the pets, rather than it being discussed in life (since the person had obviously taken the time to think it through and put it in the will).

So... who wants to sort out mine then? :D

I don't even have a will. However my OH would deal with all the animals. If he's unable I trust my parents will make the correct choices. :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I suppose what I'm thinking is, you wouldn't want it to be big shock to someone to suddenly find themselves named in a will as being responsible for the pets, rather than it being discussed in life (since the person had obviously taken the time to think it through and put it in the will).

Thinking about it, how quickly after death does a will get found/read/sorted? Animals are something you'd have to sort pretty quickly aren't they - would it be too late by the time the will is read, unless the people already know and the will is just formalising it/giving them some money for it.

Thinking about it, how quickly after death does a will get found/read/sorted? Animals are something you'd have to sort pretty quickly aren't they - would it be too late by the time the will is read, unless the people already know and the will is just formalising it/giving them some money for it.

Yes, I was thinking exactly the same thing. Then realised that I didn't know!

I have a Home for Life Agreement with the RSPCA and I had to make a will and I have left them an amount, if there is anything left. I carry a card in my purse to this effect. I did this years ago and keep meaning to ring them to make sure it is still valid.

I still think it would be vague if it were 'whatever pets I happen to have at this time'. But maybe that's just me!

I think I'm just confused as to the sorts of things that people are actually writing, beyond 'return to the rescue'. If the pets were to be looked after by a certain person, that shouldn't really need to be written in a will if you've made an agreement with the person previously before writing it in the will

Obviously speak with the person and get an agreement with them, but if it's not in the will, then anyone can dispute it and it may never happen as you wish.

When you say 'return pets to rescue' ... If pets from different Rescues are now bonded, how would that work? Split them up because that's what's written in your will?

It needs to be thought out ...

But anything you write in your will isn't enforceable anyway. It's surely only your wishes put into writing.

But anything you write in your will isn't enforceable anyway. It's surely only your wishes put into writing.

What would be the point of making a legal will if it's not enforceable?

It can be contested, sure, but it's still your legal 'will' and not 'wishes'.
Wishes are not legally binding.

I suppose for animals in particular though, if I leave all my animals to my dad, he's entirely within his rights to say 'no thank you, I don't want them' and no-one could force him to take them? Or if my will says someone is to take them and not rehome them, their own circumstances could easily change so they couldn't do that. So in that respect I don't think it's as easy as splitting other parts of the estate.

Yes exactly. It isn't enforceable. You are only stating your wishes very firmly by putting them in a will. If circumstances change, or the person just doesn't want to deal with the care, it isn't legally binding.

Obviously speak with the person and get an agreement with them, but if it's not in the will, then anyone can dispute it and it may never happen as you wish.

When you say 'return pets to rescue' ... If pets from different Rescues are now bonded, how would that work? Split them up because that's what's written in your will?

It needs to be thought out ...

We regularly had this when I was with the RSPCA. Generally the adopter would discuss with both rescues, put us in touch and we’d decide who was best to take them back. Guess this would be the same situation.

Yes exactly. It isn't enforceable. You are only stating your wishes very firmly by putting them in a will. If circumstances change, or the person just doesn't want to deal with the care, it isn't legally binding.

I think naming one person only in a will, even if they've agreed, is risky. You need a couple of back up plans in there as well. Even a Rescue might not be viable when the time comes.

If you don't put anything in there, goodness knows what would happen to them at the hands of the Executor

Back