Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A sombre question, but ...

Default A sombre question, but ...

... have you provided for your rabbits in your Will, if you've made one?

No, good point! Our wills are half sorted: they got my details wrong so I need to get in touch and haven't got round to it possibly a year or weo later?! XD So it's not signed or legal or anything yet.
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

I would never put anything about pets in a will, because I don't want to pay a solicitor to change it every time I have a new pet. From time to time I've updated my mum and dad about what ought to happen to our pets. And the rescue paperwork is easy to find.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs
    Basil hamster

Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
    I would never put anything about pets in a will, because I don't want to pay a solicitor to change it every time I have a new pet. From time to time I've updated my mum and dad about what ought to happen to our pets. And the rescue paperwork is easy to find.

You can put in a generic clause something like 'The pets I have at the time of my death' ... etc
    That covers any and all pets, regardless

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    You can put in a generic clause something like 'The pets I have at the time of my death' ... etc
    That covers any and all pets, regardless
    But then you're surely just saying something vague like 'should be returned to whichever rescue they are from'.
    Sarah.

Basil hamster

Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
    But then you're surely just saying something vague like 'should be returned to whichever rescue they are from'.

No, you can whatever you wish regarding their ongoing care. Doesn't have to be vague at all

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    No, you can whatever you wish regarding their ongoing care. Doesn't have to be vague at all
    I still think it would be vague if it were 'whatever pets I happen to have at this time'. But maybe that's just me!

I think I'm just confused as to the sorts of things that people are actually writing, beyond 'return to the rescue'. If the pets were to be looked after by a certain person, that shouldn't really need to be written in a will if you've made an agreement with the person previously before writing it in the will.
    Sarah.

Basil hamster

I guess you might want your rabbits to go to a different person to dogs, for instance, so there might be some need for pet-specific variation (or even personality of various pets, e.g. if a cat can't cope with being in a multi-cat household). You could potentially nominate a person who you would want to be responsible for sorting out what happens to them after your death, so someone you would trust to make the appropriate decisions. If you know your death is coming, it would be easier to get some of this stuff sorted out in advance by talking to people and coming to arrangements, but if it's sudden and unexpected that would be more problematic. I guess the other thing is you could provide for them in your will by nominating a certain amount of money to be used for their ongoing care?

Lou knows she's in charge of sorting out mine in the event of my untimely demise, and I suspect it's mutual
    Looking for RHD2 vaccine or want more info? Join our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/
    To view reported cases of RHD2 or vets reported to have RHD2 vaccine: http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk
    Here's my RHD2 and myxomatosis blog:https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com

I suppose what I'm thinking is, you wouldn't want it to be big shock to someone to suddenly find themselves named in a will as being responsible for the pets, rather than it being discussed in life (since the person had obviously taken the time to think it through and put it in the will).

So... who wants to sort out mine then?
    Sarah.

Basil hamster

I don't even have a will. However my OH would deal with all the animals. If he's unable I trust my parents will make the correct choices.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Even the strongest need to have a day of weakness