• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis meds

Trufflesmum

Young Bun
I've just come back from taking Piccolo, our 7 year old lionhead, to the vets as he is in early signs of stasis. I saw the duty vet who wasn't very helpful. She was going to send me away with critical care and ranitidine only. I managed to push for an injection of metoclopramide which she gave very reluctantly, saying it was useless, but she wouldn't give me any pain meds. I'm sure he should have some pain relief. I'm annoyed with myself (and the vet) as I couldn't remember the regime of drugs that works. I have some Loxicam at home. He was weighed 2.1 kg. Should I give him some? Can you remind me of the dose? Thank you very much.

I've just come back from taking Piccolo, our 7 year old lionhead, to the vets as he is in early signs of stasis. I saw the duty vet who wasn't very helpful. She was going to send me away with critical care and ranitidine only. I managed to push for an injection of metoclopramide which she gave very reluctantly, saying it was useless, but she wouldn't give me any pain meds. I'm sure he should have some pain relief. I'm annoyed with myself (and the vet) as I couldn't remember the regime of drugs that works. I have some Loxicam at home. He was weighed 2.1 kg. Should I give him some? Can you remind me of the dose? Thank you very much.

I am sorry that Piccolo is not too well at the moment. Generally speaking it is necessary for the Vet to prescribe analgesia as part of the treatment of gut stasis. Even if the Vet considers Meloxicam (Metacam/Loxicom etc) to be unsuitable in a specific case, there are other analgesics that can be prescribed.

A general overview of gut stasis and appropriate treatment can be seen here:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Meloxicam is a prescription only medication, so I am not qualified to advise you as to whether you should administer it or not. Maybe you could call the Vet/Out-of-Hours Cover to ask ?

There is some information about dose rates for Meloxicam here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

Fluids are important in all cases of gut stasis, it can be very beneficial if the Vet gives some fluids subcutaneously if Bunny is to be sent home, or IV fluids if Bunny is admitted. So I would try to encourage Piccolo to drink. If he does not get too stressed by syringe feeds then you could give him some water via syringe. 5ml-10ml/ kg every couple of hours.

I hope that he will soon be feeling a lot better xx

I am sorry to hear your bunny has stasis. It is something I deal with regularly, especially with my Dash who has a medical condition that makes him prone to stasis.
Jane has given you excellent advice.
Some vets no longer think metoclopramide helps and that keeping the bunny's gut hydrated, eating, and pain free is best (some pain meds can slow the gut further). That being said, I have seen my own bunnies have better gut movement and even pass fecal matter shortly after administering metoclopramide and/or cisapride; so I always ask if I can have some. I also receive Medicam for my bunnies.
Just a note, even if the bunny is not technically dehydrated it does not mean the material in his/her guts is not harder that normal. This is why fluids is so important to provide fluids and syringe feeding.
Lastly, keep your bunny warm and give your bunny plenty of gentle side rubs.
May you both feel better soon.

Last edited:
Thank you both very much and sorry for the slow reply. I had a bit of a hectic week. We also found a weasel in the garden (!) , so I was out at all hours adding additional wire mesh to the rabbit runs. Piccolo has made a full recovery, thank goodness. I wish I had more rabbit savvy vets closer. It makes me anxious when I see a different one as you never know how much they know about rabbit health and it's stressful having to assert yourself to get the right medication. It would be great if there was a gold standard, like NICE Guidelines for humans. Thank you again.

Thank you both very much and sorry for the slow reply. I had a bit of a hectic week. We also found a weasel in the garden (!) , so I was out at all hours adding additional wire mesh to the rabbit runs. Piccolo has made a full recovery, thank goodness. I wish I had more rabbit savvy vets closer. It makes me anxious when I see a different one as you never know how much they know about rabbit health and it's stressful having to assert yourself to get the right medication. It would be great if there was a gold standard, like NICE Guidelines for humans. Thank you again.

I'm pleased to hear all is well again :D

And what a lovely name, Piccolo :love:

Back