• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just had to bring 2 Bunnies Indoors

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
Dixie and Pixie weren't happy in this heat so decided to bring them indoors, my Lounge is 24C which feels quite cool. It's always difficult to know if you are doing the right thing as rabbits find moving stressful but once they realise they are much cooler I think they will feel much better.

When I took my two to the vets yesterday, I needed to leave at 13:45 but I'd got them in the carrier at 13:15 and their playhouse was heating up, because they usually head for the run or hutch between 13:00 and 14:00. So I brought them inside, as being cooped up in a carrier wasn't gong to do their heat levels any good, regardless of how stressed or not they were! It's rarely above 24 in our house, and I would do the same if mine looked like they were really struggling with the heat tbh: I've been lucky this year, yesterday and today are the first REALLY hot days AND nights and they're DBFing all over the place but not really hot yet :)

I daren't put ours in their aviary/outside area as its concrete and I'm frightened they will burn their paws on it as the sun moves round x

Hillian are indoors - sitting under the living room table. Even the ever keen to go outside Lillian isn't really showing any interest in wanting to go outside until about 8:30pm. Henry has decided that the best place to sit is a few feet from the gentle breeze from the fan that's on. It is very hot here in Ipswich.

I see some people feel outdoor bunnies do just as good out doors. If that is ur opinion ok. I have had bunnies as old as 16 plus. Hutch rabbits are stuck in boxes. Yeah i see in my own bunnies they like to sit by open doors but screened, enjoying the cool air the smells. Thats why they sit there, when ive try to open the door to go out for a while, they did not want to go. But fear from the outside i.e. dogs barking, dont forget the birds flying. Birds can pick up ur bun and ull never see ur bun again. Every one is entitled to their own opinion. But my buns even run in my home with every sound or movement. They get nervous, look to me for help. I calm them down and they are ok. Once calmed down all is well and happy. Also with hutch rabbits, they need socialization from their extended family us. Would u like to be stuck in a box watching and waiting for someone to let them out, this could at night even. They see lights on the indoors thinking my family is in there. How come i cant be in there in with them. Night time is a scary time for bunnies. Think about that. Stuck in a box with all the noses because rabbits are prey animals. That is one of the reasons rabbits dont live as long. We can discuss this until we are blue in the face. I feel its safer, happier and healthier for our bunnies to to remain in doors. Some people do let let their bunnies out for a while during the day for a little sun, but not to hot. So that is an alternative to giving them a outdoor home completely. Whatever u feel thats my opinion just wanted to say it. We dont have to agree. We love our buns either way. Good look to all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I see some people feel outdoor bunnies do just as good out doors. If that is ur opinion ok. I have had bunnies as old as 16 plus. Hutch rabbits are stuck in boxes. Yeah i see in my own bunnies they like to sit by open doors but screened, enjoying the cool air the smells. Thats why they sit there, when ive try to open the door to go out for a while, they did not want to go. But fear from the outside i.e. dogs barking, dont forget the birds flying. Birds can pick up ur bun and ull never see ur bun again. Every one is entitled to their own opinion. But my buns even run in my home with every sound or movement. They get nervous, look to me for help. I calm them down and they are ok. Once calmed down all is well and happy. Also with hutch rabbits, they need socialization from their extended family us. Would u like to be stuck in a box watching and waiting for someone to let them out, this could at night even. They see lights on the indoors thinking my family is in there. How come i cant be in there in with them. Night time is a scary time for bunnies. Think about that. Stuck in a box with all the noses because rabbits are prey animals. That is one of the reasons rabbits dont live as long. We can discuss this until we are blue in the face. I feel its safer, happier and healthier for our bunnies to to remain in doors. Some people do let let their bunnies out for a while during the day for a little sun, but not to hot. So that is an alternative to giving them a outdoor home completely. Whatever u feel thats my opinion just wanted to say it. We dont have to agree. We love our buns either way. Good look to all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Some rabbits definitely do better outdoors.i have had plenty of those myself. Especially the normal rabbit who might not like being handled and much prefers rabbit company. And I think the vast majority of RU members rabbits are kept very responsibly wether that be inside or outside. The majority of RU members who have rabbits outside do not keep them in a hutch, certainly not alone, we generally keep our rabbits in pairs or groups if they are outside, and either in hutches with 24 hours access to large runs, which are roofed or meshed so are safe from predators, or sheds or playhouses . In fact we take great pride in spreading the word of the RWAF a hutch is not enough campaign. And the very fact that we belong to the RU community means we really care about our rabbits, and if we feel that a particular rabbit, or rabbits, would be better suited to a different environment, then if it was at all possible to make the change, then we would do it.
In fact Tonibun has done this for her rabbits in this case. And if she thinks they will be happier outside once the hot weather has subsided, then I am sure she will move them outside, as I would too :thumb:

Just because you believe (your) rabbits are better indoors, does in no way mean that all rabbits are better indoors. 4 of my previous rabbits hated it indoors. It’s all about knowing your rabbit’s personality.

I agree Zoobec. I’ve had bunnies that love to be outside, Bramble would sit outside in her run all night. I think other bunnies that love human interaction are possibly happier indoors. My outdoor buns live in a section of a shed and have 24 hour access to their attached run. They are used to being there - they don’t get spooked when next doors football hits the shed. Willow will out stare any cat that is watching her, which is so funny to watch. If rabbits have company and large safe spaces to live and play in and the correct diet and vetinary care then I think indoors or out makes no difference, unless there is a health need or something similar. Rabbits are designed to be outdoors in this climate after all.

Back