Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cost of vaccinations

I use a different vets for Jake's vaccines as he came from p@h so as we used the free vouchers with vets4pets we also paid for vac4life. I didn't put Beano on it though as she was having dentals and monitoring on a hind leg issue, so I'd rather pay more so the vets that know her history can closely monitor her. I am however going to put Jasmine on vac4life but use my more rabbit savvy vet for other issues. My usual vet has put their prices up massively for vaccines, £42 for combi and £40 for VHD2. Same for dogs nearly a double price increase, but I will still get my dog vaccinated there as he has complex health issues I need monitoring by his usual vet, despite getting discount and having access to a cheaper vets.

If you need help with anything PM me or any of the other forum buddies (name shown in green)

Quote Originally Posted by TheThreeB's View Post
    Thank you for all your responses.

Ideally I'd like to stay where we are, and tbh I usually pay the amount without thinking too much about it, but having 6 due both has really bitten us on the bum.

We called a nearby practice yesterday and they charge around £20 less in total for both jabs and offer a forces discount of 10%. I'm not sure about a potential discount for multiples, but we are calling back tomorrow when their rabbit person is in.

I wouldn't want to have one vet for vaccines and another for other things, so if we like the sound of them we'll move the whole lot over. Those of you that do have separate vets for vaccines, how does this work? Is it not usual that just one vet would hold their records or is it a case of just getting them jabs but not being officially registered x

A rabbit has to be registered at the vet where they have the vaccinations done.
    However, you are quite at liberty to be registered with more than one vet.
    Reliable and up to date info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...RHD2-July-2018

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by TheThreeB's View Post
    Thank you for all your responses.

Ideally I'd like to stay where we are, and tbh I usually pay the amount without thinking too much about it, but having 6 due both has really bitten us on the bum.

We called a nearby practice yesterday and they charge around £20 less in total for both jabs and offer a forces discount of 10%. I'm not sure about a potential discount for multiples, but we are calling back tomorrow when their rabbit person is in.

I wouldn't want to have one vet for vaccines and another for other things, so if we like the sound of them we'll move the whole lot over. Those of you that do have separate vets for vaccines, how does this work? Is it not usual that just one vet would hold their records or is it a case of just getting them jabs but not being officially registered x
    Before changing over vets it might be an idea to see if the cheaper one is rabbit savvy, so you would be confident to use them for everything, and also how much their normal consults etc are. You should be able to look up that info on their website. Have you asked your current vet whether they offer a discount for multiple rabbits?

Wise Old Thumper

I think this issue is difficult. My situation will I guess not be the same as others in respect of the financial implications. I only have two rabbits atm, but I would not need to consider the financial side if I had several. So I can appreciate how others need to consider this.

For me this is an issue of loyalty as a customer and whether I would feel happy shopping around. In my situation I feel loyalty towards my vet, who is not part of a large chain. She appears to pay her staff well, as they have mostly all been there a while. They inform me when vaccinations are due and I could imagine, if I had chosen to get them done elsewhere, I would be reminded by the vet that I hadn't had them done, when she checked their notes next next I attended. I would feel very embarrassed to say I had gone elsewhere because they were cheaper. Even though the vaccination charges seem to be at the upper end, I think I get added value by being a client that she recognises each time I go and she has so many times gone out of her way to try to help both rabbits and chickens.

That is not to say that I don't shop around for other things. I do very often, but I don't ever when I feel loyalty towards an enterprise.

I am sorry that you are in this situation TTBs.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I think this issue is difficult. My situation will I guess not be the same as others in respect of the financial implications. I only have two rabbits atm, but I would not need to consider the financial side if I had several. So I can appreciate how others need to consider this.

For me this is an issue of loyalty as a customer and whether I would feel happy shopping around. In my situation I feel loyalty towards my vet, who is not part of a large chain. She appears to pay her staff well, as they have mostly all been there a while. They inform me when vaccinations are due and I could imagine, if I had chosen to get them done elsewhere, I would be reminded by the vet that I hadn't had them done, when she checked their notes next next I attended. I would feel very embarrassed to say I had gone elsewhere because they were cheaper. Even though the vaccination charges seem to be at the upper end, I think I get added value by being a client that she recognises each time I go and she has so many times gone out of her way to try to help both rabbits and chickens.

That is not to say that I don't shop around for other things. I do very often, but I don't ever when I feel loyalty towards an enterprise.

I am sorry that you are in this situation TTBs.
    This is how I feel too. My Vet has gone above and beyond the call of duty to help several of my Rabbits over the years. There is no way I would 'shop around' as I think it would be very disrespectful. More importantly what if there were a problem with a particular Rabbit post Vaccination and the Vet who gave it (as they were cheaper than one's usual Vet) was not Rabbit Savvy. I guess the usual Vet would be expected to pick up the pieces.

The relationship between client and Vet is very important and should be based on mutual trust and respect. Many Vets will offer a significant discount for vaccinations if the client has multiple Rabbits. My Vet always did so and never charged for home Visits that she did to administer vaccinations to 35+ Rabbits.

Twickenham Veterinary Surgery- Competent and compassionate Rabbit Savvy Vets in SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

Two Californian X Rescues in Need of their forever home, can you be their Special Human ?
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...-Californian-X

If it's a vet you use regularly and you have a good relationship then maybe just see if they do a discount or ask to pay in instalments
    I'm pretty lucky because vaccines are cheap with my vet. Nobivac is about £15 and Filavac is £27.50!
    I'm fundraising for Rabbit Rescue North West

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rrnw

I pay a monthly fee for each of my four bunnies, so the cost is spread out. Two of them are due now, so they’ll get vaccinations and health check “for free” (not actually free, but it’s already been paid for which makes my bank account very happy )

I think people overthink this way too much tbh. I don't see the big deal whichever way you choose and I don't think people have to be "loyal" to one vet practice. You should weigh the pros and cons and do what's best for your buns and yourself in regards to healthcheck/travel/money.

Personally I'd never ask or listen to someone elses opinion on this as I see it as purely my choice where I take my animals and I don't like the way people preach about it as if everyone has this amazing relationship with their vet, it feels biased and unrealistic to me (that's not to say I don't like my vets or feel loyal etc - I do...but not to the point that I'd refuse to go anywhere else). It's just an odd discussion overall to me though because where I live no one thinks twice about seeing whether something is cheaper at different vets or has a strange reluctance about being registered to more than one vet. Granted, vet prices are astronomical here. And if you have multiple species you possibly/probably need to use different practices.

But we see it as a good thing that we have options. If you've only ever gone to one vet how don't you know that it might be better somewhere else? Why not take advantage of the fact that you can register your rabbits at multiple places for free and get a feel of the place? Best to get a feel of the place and see how rabbit savvy they are when it's something very routine like vaccs. This way you have a choice and a backup plan if for some reason you can't go to the other vets.

Warren Veteran

I'm surprised that the vet practices of those of you having bunnies registered at multiple practices don't have an issue with this. When I decided to transfer Boo to Crab Lane (owing to her her dental pecularities) in Harrogate both practices were very firm in that they didn't want my rabbits registered at both. I can understand why but it does leave me with a very long journey should they need OOH care that wouldn't even be with my chosen practice. To be fair all this communication was with receptionists, the vets themselves might have been more accomodating. I do like Joey & Mouse having their vaccination & health checks done at a savvy practice and for Boo its like an extra check up.

I hope your existing vet can offer a discount & / or offer a playment plan . Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I'm surprised that the vet practices of those of you having bunnies registered at multiple practices don't have an issue with this. When I decided to transfer Boo to Crab Lane (owing to her her dental pecularities) in Harrogate both practices were very firm in that they didn't want my rabbits registered at both.
    Yep, the RCVS code of conduct makes quite clear that non-registered clients should be directed back to their registered practice (apart from emergency first aid/pain relief), so if someone rocks up at a second vet without a specific request for a second opinion or referral, it's perfectly appropriate and normal for vets to refuse. If someone wants to change practice entirely then that is different, but if it's a case of to-ing and fro-ing without there being arrangements in place for continuity of care, then the code of conduct is ok with vets saying no to this.
    Looking for RHD2 vaccine or want more info? Join our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/
    To view reported cases of RHD2 or vets reported to have RHD2 vaccine: http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk
    Here's my RHD2 and myxomatosis blog:https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com