• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cost of vaccinations

I use a different vets for Jake's vaccines as he came from p@h so as we used the free vouchers with vets4pets we also paid for vac4life. I didn't put Beano on it though as she was having dentals and monitoring on a hind leg issue, so I'd rather pay more so the vets that know her history can closely monitor her. I am however going to put Jasmine on vac4life but use my more rabbit savvy vet for other issues. My usual vet has put their prices up massively for vaccines, £42 for combi and £40 for VHD2. Same for dogs nearly a double price increase, but I will still get my dog vaccinated there as he has complex health issues I need monitoring by his usual vet, despite getting discount and having access to a cheaper vets.

Thank you for all your responses.

Ideally I'd like to stay where we are, and tbh I usually pay the amount without thinking too much about it, but having 6 due both has really bitten us on the bum.

We called a nearby practice yesterday and they charge around £20 less in total for both jabs and offer a forces discount of 10%. I'm not sure about a potential discount for multiples, but we are calling back tomorrow when their rabbit person is in.

I wouldn't want to have one vet for vaccines and another for other things, so if we like the sound of them we'll move the whole lot over. Those of you that do have separate vets for vaccines, how does this work? Is it not usual that just one vet would hold their records or is it a case of just getting them jabs but not being officially registered :? x

A rabbit has to be registered at the vet where they have the vaccinations done.
However, you are quite at liberty to be registered with more than one vet.

Thank you for all your responses.

Ideally I'd like to stay where we are, and tbh I usually pay the amount without thinking too much about it, but having 6 due both has really bitten us on the bum.

We called a nearby practice yesterday and they charge around £20 less in total for both jabs and offer a forces discount of 10%. I'm not sure about a potential discount for multiples, but we are calling back tomorrow when their rabbit person is in.

I wouldn't want to have one vet for vaccines and another for other things, so if we like the sound of them we'll move the whole lot over. Those of you that do have separate vets for vaccines, how does this work? Is it not usual that just one vet would hold their records or is it a case of just getting them jabs but not being officially registered :? x

Before changing over vets it might be an idea to see if the cheaper one is rabbit savvy, so you would be confident to use them for everything, and also how much their normal consults etc are. You should be able to look up that info on their website. Have you asked your current vet whether they offer a discount for multiple rabbits?

I think this issue is difficult. My situation will I guess not be the same as others in respect of the financial implications. I only have two rabbits atm, but I would not need to consider the financial side if I had several. So I can appreciate how others need to consider this.

For me this is an issue of loyalty as a customer and whether I would feel happy shopping around. In my situation I feel loyalty towards my vet, who is not part of a large chain. She appears to pay her staff well, as they have mostly all been there a while. They inform me when vaccinations are due and I could imagine, if I had chosen to get them done elsewhere, I would be reminded by the vet that I hadn't had them done, when she checked their notes next next I attended. I would feel very embarrassed to say I had gone elsewhere because they were cheaper. Even though the vaccination charges seem to be at the upper end, I think I get added value by being a client that she recognises each time I go and she has so many times gone out of her way to try to help both rabbits and chickens.

That is not to say that I don't shop around for other things. I do very often, but I don't ever when I feel loyalty towards an enterprise.

I am sorry that you are in this situation TTBs.

I think this issue is difficult. My situation will I guess not be the same as others in respect of the financial implications. I only have two rabbits atm, but I would not need to consider the financial side if I had several. So I can appreciate how others need to consider this.

For me this is an issue of loyalty as a customer and whether I would feel happy shopping around. In my situation I feel loyalty towards my vet, who is not part of a large chain. She appears to pay her staff well, as they have mostly all been there a while. They inform me when vaccinations are due and I could imagine, if I had chosen to get them done elsewhere, I would be reminded by the vet that I hadn't had them done, when she checked their notes next next I attended. I would feel very embarrassed to say I had gone elsewhere because they were cheaper. Even though the vaccination charges seem to be at the upper end, I think I get added value by being a client that she recognises each time I go and she has so many times gone out of her way to try to help both rabbits and chickens.

That is not to say that I don't shop around for other things. I do very often, but I don't ever when I feel loyalty towards an enterprise.

I am sorry that you are in this situation TTBs.

This is how I feel too. My Vet has gone above and beyond the call of duty to help several of my Rabbits over the years. There is no way I would 'shop around' as I think it would be very disrespectful. More importantly what if there were a problem with a particular Rabbit post Vaccination and the Vet who gave it (as they were cheaper than one's usual Vet) was not Rabbit Savvy. I guess the usual Vet would be expected to pick up the pieces.

The relationship between client and Vet is very important and should be based on mutual trust and respect. Many Vets will offer a significant discount for vaccinations if the client has multiple Rabbits. My Vet always did so and never charged for home Visits that she did to administer vaccinations to 35+ Rabbits.

If it's a vet you use regularly and you have a good relationship then maybe just see if they do a discount or ask to pay in instalments :)
I'm pretty lucky because vaccines are cheap with my vet. Nobivac is about £15 and Filavac is £27.50!

I pay a monthly fee for each of my four bunnies, so the cost is spread out. Two of them are due now, so they’ll get vaccinations and health check “for free” (not actually free, but it’s already been paid for which makes my bank account very happy :) )

I think people overthink this way too much tbh. I don't see the big deal whichever way you choose and I don't think people have to be "loyal" to one vet practice. You should weigh the pros and cons and do what's best for your buns and yourself in regards to healthcheck/travel/money.

Personally I'd never ask or listen to someone elses opinion on this as I see it as purely my choice where I take my animals and I don't like the way people preach about it as if everyone has this amazing relationship with their vet, it feels biased and unrealistic to me (that's not to say I don't like my vets or feel loyal etc - I do...but not to the point that I'd refuse to go anywhere else). It's just an odd discussion overall to me though because where I live no one thinks twice about seeing whether something is cheaper at different vets or has a strange reluctance about being registered to more than one vet. Granted, vet prices are astronomical here. And if you have multiple species you possibly/probably need to use different practices.

But we see it as a good thing that we have options. If you've only ever gone to one vet how don't you know that it might be better somewhere else? Why not take advantage of the fact that you can register your rabbits at multiple places for free and get a feel of the place? Best to get a feel of the place and see how rabbit savvy they are when it's something very routine like vaccs. This way you have a choice and a backup plan if for some reason you can't go to the other vets.

I'm surprised that the vet practices of those of you having bunnies registered at multiple practices don't have an issue with this. When I decided to transfer Boo to Crab Lane (owing to her her dental pecularities) in Harrogate both practices were very firm in that they didn't want my rabbits registered at both. I can understand why but it does leave me with a very long journey should they need OOH care that wouldn't even be with my chosen practice. To be fair all this communication was with receptionists, the vets themselves might have been more accomodating. I do like Joey & Mouse having their vaccination & health checks done at a savvy practice and for Boo its like an extra check up.

I hope your existing vet can offer a discount & / or offer a playment plan . Good luck

I'm surprised that the vet practices of those of you having bunnies registered at multiple practices don't have an issue with this. When I decided to transfer Boo to Crab Lane (owing to her her dental pecularities) in Harrogate both practices were very firm in that they didn't want my rabbits registered at both.

Yep, the RCVS code of conduct makes quite clear that non-registered clients should be directed back to their registered practice (apart from emergency first aid/pain relief), so if someone rocks up at a second vet without a specific request for a second opinion or referral, it's perfectly appropriate and normal for vets to refuse. If someone wants to change practice entirely then that is different, but if it's a case of to-ing and fro-ing without there being arrangements in place for continuity of care, then the code of conduct is ok with vets saying no to this.

I think I would feel weird about having more than one vet and would rather move across fully anyway, if we are going to.

I will enquire with my current vet about paying in instalments potentially before making a decision. It's not that we couldn't pay the amount they are asking, but I'd rather not have to if I could get them cheaper elsewhere. There's always other rabbit related things I could be putting money towards.

My main aim with the thread was to gage if others here are paying significantly less. I don't feel any real loyalty to my current practice, we've only been with them a couple of years and my experiences have been mixed x

Yep, the RCVS code of conduct makes quite clear that non-registered clients should be directed back to their registered practice (apart from emergency first aid/pain relief), so if someone rocks up at a second vet without a specific request for a second opinion or referral, it's perfectly appropriate and normal for vets to refuse. If someone wants to change practice entirely then that is different, but if it's a case of to-ing and fro-ing without there being arrangements in place for continuity of care, then the code of conduct is ok with vets saying no to this.

That's encouraging. So technically I could access emergency care locally & transfer my rabbit to crab Lane asap ?

Sort of - but emergency care is not the same thing as emergency first aid. Emergency first aid is life or death - resuscitation, uncontrollable bleeding, that sort of thing, not 'I need an appointment today and I can't get one at my own vet/my own vet is too far away'. So if you burst into the practice with no prior notice with a dying rabbit, they wouldn't say 'sorry, you need to go to your own vet', they would try and stabilise the bunny and keep it alive - and then send you to your own vet for follow up work. Although one of the big challenges with rabbits I think is that if you've got a rabbit in need of emergency first aid, they're probably in no fit state to transfer to another vet, so in a real life or death situation you'd have to judge whether you're better going to the nearest vet to relieve suffering, or to the best vet if they are further away.

The ThreeBs, I think it's pretty impossible to gauge cost of vaccines because it varies so, so much. I don't know where you live, but most vets seem to be more expensive in the south. It's also hard to determine just by comparing cost of vaccines - how much does a standard consultation cost, what is the dispensing fee for drugs, how much does 30 minutes of anaesthetic time cost, how much does a standard 2-view radiographs cost etc etc. Taking one item alone can of course tell you if your current vet costs more or less than others, but it doesn't tell you whether the whole package would cost more or less over time...or indeed what those costs go towards or whether one is any better than another.

I pay £25 for each vaccination, I believe Mischief and Tinker's mum knows of a vet that charges even less. The place I use is called 'The Vet' and they have branches in Doncaster, Greater Manchester, Warrington, Liverpool, Nottingham, Bristol, Mitcham, London E4, Southhampton and Portsmouth.

I'm very happy with the rabbit savvyness of my practice so I use them for everything at the moment not just vaccinations, but if this wasn't the case then I would absolutely shop around. As for records, whenever I've moved vets before they always ask if I've been to another vet and they ring them up to transfer notes. You can always tell your regular vet that you've been elsewhere so they can get the notes that cheaper vet made during the health check & vaccination. It might seem a bit cheeky to jump back and forth between vets, then again I think it's cheeky how much some vets charge for the same vaccine and 'quality' of appointment/check that I could get for half the price elsewhere.

I would definitely ask the vet about multi-rabbit discounts. If your vet has very cheap consultation fees but the vaccination is expensive then it could be worth asking them how much they'd charge to write a prescription for the vaccines so you can order them yourself and get the vet to administer. It probably wouldn't work out cheaper but it's worth a go. I was going to do it last year when there were manufacturing issues with the combi vacc, the vets kept saying they couldn't get hold of it through their supplier but I found it in stock (and pretty cheap) on an online veterinary pharmacy.

Mine - independent large veterinary hospital - offers 4 for the price of 3 on vaccinations. Having 8 rabbits now I’ve saved quite a bit this summer. Combi is £36 each and RHD2 £25 ish. Worth asking if there’s a discount for multiples xx

It might seem a bit cheeky to jump back and forth between vets, then again I think it's cheeky how much some vets charge for the same vaccine and 'quality' of appointment/check that I could get for half the price elsewhere.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, there are many, many factors which may influence how much vaccinations cost at each practice and it's got nothing to do with them being cheeky. In fact one factor I haven't already listed above is that the wholesalers charge different prices, so if a vet is tied to a particular wholesaler, they may be stuck with a higher vial price. As Jane said, any veterinary relationship is built on trust - so if that trust isn't there or you feel the quality of the appointment isn't good enough, by all means go elsewhere...but thinking that a vet is being cheeky for charging more for vaccines, when they might be covering their overheads in another way, or doing something like heaven forbid paying their nursing staff a decent salary, is not indicative of that trusting relationship. Of course anyone can do what they like as long as the vets are accepting of that, but IMO it risks both the quality and consistency of clinical notes (even knowing in an emergency that things were normal on x date at a previous vaccination elsewhere might be vital - and be honest, how many people do transfer all the clinical notes backwards and forwards straight after seeing a different practice) and trusting relationship which is of such importance when there are critical decisions to be made.

I would definitely ask the vet about multi-rabbit discounts. If your vet has very cheap consultation fees but the vaccination is expensive then it could be worth asking them how much they'd charge to write a prescription for the vaccines so you can order them yourself and get the vet to administer. It probably wouldn't work out cheaper but it's worth a go.

It won't be cheaper to do that - most of the cost of the vaccine is the vet's time and other overheads, not the cost of the actual vial of vaccine itself. And it generates additional risks of proper temperature control of the vial so it might not work at all by the time you get it to the vets...most of the vaccine failures I've heard of with RHD2 have been from self-administered multi-dose vials, and while I can't substantiate this, I suspect inadequate temperature control is the main culprit. But yes, definitely ask about multi-rabbit discounts...nothing ventured, nothing gained!

The more I read this thread the more I realise that my vet would be considered expensive...I spent a lot of time there though and I know that they aren't taking the mick. In fact their accounts for last year show that they turned a net profit of £7k. £7k for all that hard work and stress over an entire year.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, there are many, many factors which may influence how much vaccinations cost at each practice and it's got nothing to do with them being cheeky. In fact one factor I haven't already listed above is that the wholesalers charge different prices, so if a vet is tied to a particular wholesaler, they may be stuck with a higher vial price. As Jane said, any veterinary relationship is built on trust - so if that trust isn't there or you feel the quality of the appointment isn't good enough, by all means go elsewhere...but thinking that a vet is being cheeky for charging more for vaccines, when they might be covering their overheads in another way, or doing something like heaven forbid paying their nursing staff a decent salary, is not indicative of that trusting relationship. Of course anyone can do what they like as long as the vets are accepting of that, but IMO it risks both the quality and consistency of clinical notes (even knowing in an emergency that things were normal on x date at a previous vaccination elsewhere might be vital - and be honest, how many people do transfer all the clinical notes backwards and forwards straight after seeing a different practice) and trusting relationship which is of such importance when there are critical decisions to be made.

It won't be cheaper to do that - most of the cost of the vaccine is the vet's time and other overheads, not the cost of the actual vial of vaccine itself. And it generates additional risks of proper temperature control of the vial so it might not work at all by the time you get it to the vets...most of the vaccine failures I've heard of with RHD2 have been from self-administered multi-dose vials, and while I can't substantiate this, I suspect inadequate temperature control is the main culprit. But yes, definitely ask about multi-rabbit discounts...nothing ventured, nothing gained!

The more I read this thread the more I realise that my vet would be considered expensive...I spent a lot of time there though and I know that they aren't taking the mick. In fact their accounts for last year show that they turned a net profit of £7k. £7k for all that hard work and stress over an entire year.

Very wise words from Santa. Of course few of us have a bottomless pit of money and keeping any Pet is usually a significant financial commitment. But personally I would rather have fewer Pets to enable me to be able to afford to meet all Veterinary costs than to have to 'Vet Hop' to find the cheapest deal. Continuity of care for my Pet and building a mutually trusting and respectful relationship with my Vet takes priority for me.

Very wise words from Santa. Of course few of us have a bottomless pit of money and keeping any Pet is usually a significant financial commitment. But personally I would rather have fewer Pets to enable me to be able to afford to meet all Veterinary costs than to have to 'Vet Hop' to find the cheapest deal. Continuity of care for my Pet and building a mutually trusting and respectful relationship with my Vet takes priority for me.

I'm with you and Santa!

For me though, this isn't about not being able to afford the vaccinations (as I said I am able to) it's about getting a good deal. I don't think I should feel bad for having 12 when I am able to provide for them adequately. I'm just questioning if there is a better deal to be had.

Obviously there are many factors at play (as pointed out by Santa) when vets set their pricing structures, but it's only natural to make comparisons if you know other practices are offering the vaccinations cheaper. It would be daft to not consider changing. As I said, I don't feel any loyalty to my vets, I think your situation JJ is more unique in that they are also a close friend x

Back