• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stopped using the litter tray

Hi my bunny (only 3 months old) has always used her litter tray. Recently though she's taking to having a wee on the floor in the kitchen but always in the same spot. Her tray is clean and when I put the litter tray in the kitchen (where she wees on floor) she wees in it. I've then moved the tray back but she still wees on the floor lol. Why?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome. :wave: Do you put hay in her litter tray as this will encourage her to use it more, as bunnies like to eat while they do their toilet. You can't always guarantee that they will never wee anywhere else, I'm afraid, but as she gets older and I assume you will have her spayed, then she will remember to go and use the litter tray, hopefully all the time. She will start to get hormonal around 4.5 months old and this may make her mark the territory a bit more!

Sounds like she's done it once there, and now there is the scent it's going to keep happening.

As tonibun has said, ensure she has hay in her tray & ensure the tray is big enough for her to use comfortably.

Clean the area she has been going in the kitchen with white vinegar as this neutralises the smell for her little nose.

Consider removing access to that area while she learns to use the tray again.
It's possible she's starting to get her hormones though so if you start to notice her leaving poo around, that may be the sign that she's starting to territory mark :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Sounds like she's done it once there, and now there is the scent it's going to keep happening.

As tonibun has said, ensure she has hay in her tray & ensure the tray is big enough for her to use comfortably.

Clean the area she has been going in the kitchen with white vinegar as this neutralises the smell for her little nose.

Consider removing access to that area while she learns to use the tray again.
It's possible she's starting to get her hormones though so if you start to notice her leaving poo around, that may be the sign that she's starting to territory mark :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Think you are right Daphnephoebe I think she's maturing. I've booked for her to be spayed in two weeks x

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Similar issue here. The pattern associated with our rabbits' use of litter tray is a mystery to me. For months they were using their litter tray rigorously. Then one day they decided they were going to wee and poo in a corner of their run. Now they won't use their litter tray at all.

The only thing I can think of is that during the winter months they seem to prefer the litter tray and when the weather gets warmer they abandon it. But I don't have a clue why.

Back