• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with cream for sore hocks?

Shan&Chibi

New Kit
:wave: Hello! I've literally just joined so I'm new to this haha. Buckle up kids coz this is a long one!

Okay, so I've been looking for hours now and quite frankly I'm overwhelmed and verging on a panic attack over it.
I was wondering if anyone could help me regarding bunnies, sore/calloused hocks and applying some sort of cream.

To give you all the details of the situation:

Friday 29th June I woke up to find blood on the floor in my room in several spots. I have a neurtered free roam 5 year old lionhead/dwarf lop mix called Chibi and he's never had anything like this before.
Called the vet immediately and he was taken to the vets at 9am.
Vet had a look at him and one of his hocks is red and blistered and the other one would not stop bleeding. Vet held a cold compress on for 5 mins and it had nearly stopped.
Vet said she wanted to keep him in, just to check he wasn't going to continue bleeding.
Within 20 mins I had a call from the vet to say that Chibi had started bleeding again, it wouldn't stop and she was going to have to do an emergency op, anaesthetise him and stitch him up :(
Picked him up at 4pm the same day and he was doing well after his little op. He also wasn't given any pain meds or antibiotics so I'm assuming his hocks aren't infected or anything like that.
We were advised to keep both his legs bandaged up to protect them both, from him pulling the stitches and to protect the other foot from going the same way.
The vet had 0 idea what had caused this (ditto!) and she said she's worked with a lot of bunnies over the years but she's never seen anything quite like this before.
Had a check up 4 days after and his stitched wound was doing okay, still a little sore but it had only been 4 days so we were told to keep it bandaged up (I'm becoming quite the pro at bandaging a bunnies legs!)
His other foot was still looking red and a lil dry but was looking a little better. We were told again to keep that leg bandaged to protect it. The vet was quite stumped as Chibi is incredibly fluffy and his feet in particular are very fluffy and has lots of padding on them from the fluff.
The vet suggested keeping his feet bandaged for at least a month to give them time to heal.

Fastforward to a week later and his non stitched up foot is still looking a little red and raised but looking a tiny bit dry.
I've been looking online at things to help with sore hocks and other remedies and quite frankly I'm incredibly overwhelmed and I'm not sure what to do.

I've read that udder cream is supposed to be good but the Bag Balm that kept coming up is mega money as it's coming from overseas (that I could see anyway).
Looking for udder cream, I keep getting confused if ones I'm looking at are for animals or people? Specifically the Udderly Smooth one that's talking about it like it's meant for people and I don't want to use that on Chibi if it's not safe.
I've seen others use epsom salts but I'm worried that will hurt him (and that's tricky because I'd have to soak both feet and one is still healing so I don't want to hurt his healing foot)
I've seen Vaseline and Sudocrem come up a lot but I don't know if that's okay to use on bunnies.

I'm just so overwhelmed and I'm so worried about my boy hurting and I can't help him. I know I'm worrying too much and being paranoid about him but I can't stand the thought of him being in pain or at least uncomfortable and I can't do anything :cry:
I should point out also that he's been eating/drinking/using the toilet fine during this whole process and besides being a little unsteady on his feet he's doing remarkably well!

Has anyone got any tips or help on this? Has anyone in the UK found any creams that have helped soothe their bunnies dry skin.

I know this is super long but if I give a thorough description, that's more helpful than a vague post. I'd attach pictures but I can't as I'd need a team of 30 to help me lol.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you also in advance for any replies!
Have a good day everybun!

I've just worked out what's going on with the threads and starting a post. Ignore this and I'll work out how to delete it and put it in the right thread. Apologies!

Hello there and welcome. Sorry your bunny has developed sore hocks. I've never experienced this and I am sure someone more experienced will be along shortly. Is he on carpet as this can cause sore hocks? I know you can put Sudocrem on sparingly and I am assuming his claws are short. I also know that soft straw or hay bedding is good. This is all I can advise.

Hi there :wave:

Here are some suggestions for cream for sore hocks:

Gill (vet at Windelsham) recommends Derbymed SCP Spray:

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-SCP-Spray-200ml/productinfo/DERBYMSCP/
Derbymed SCP Spray 200ml is a soothing, antiseptic wound spray that removes excessive moisture from open wounds and aids in the management of cuts, sores and proud flesh.

This cream has analgesic (pain killing) properties:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s.../healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773

This has been recommended by someone on here as very good:

https://vitaltouch.com/product/natalia-baby-bottom-butter-60ml/

Other ideas ….

Flamazine is good, but needs a prescription:

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/flamazine-1-cream

http://www.smith-nephew.com/canada/products/advanced-wound-management/opsite--spray/

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/yuca...MI8MDwwfmR2QIVir3tCh00ZwJxEAQYAyABEgJqOPD_BwE

I hope this helps you a little :D

Again, I don't know if this is useful but I watched a YouTube video not long ago and the girl mentioned having to do a treatment for her buns sore hocks.

Just gone back in my history and found the links below. The thing I found interesting was the solution she mixes up. In essence she soaks a bit of fleece in a solution and the rabbit stands on this damp fleece for a bit.

https://youtu.be/YGQeqhHsT4Q

https://youtu.be/PkRmB13bJb0 (fast forward to 1min 15sec)

Also re udder cream. We help a local company called UDDERMINT export a lot of their product which is aimed at cattle so I can attest them and their products are genuine if your looking down that route.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes sorry about posting it in the wrong place! I was mighty confused as to how I went about posting haha.
I've got the hang of it now lol

My room is carpeted yes, but very little is actually exposed as Chibi has a load of blankets and duvets over the floor (another reason why the vet was stumped as bunnies with hard floors tend to get sore hocks and Chibs isn't exposed to that)

I'll try Sudocrem for the time being I think as I have that to hand!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Ooo lovely, thank you ever so for the links! I'll definitely look into those!

I'm just terrified to use something that's going to hurt him/make it worse :(

Thank you ever so again for the links. I'll look into them now!

I had a feeling that was gonna be 101 Rabbits as I have watched her for a while now and was only re-watching the sore hocks video this morning hehe. I love her videos (and her bunnies!)
The foot soak is definitely something I'm gonna do once his other foot is healed up.

I'll definitely look into the Uddermint, thank you!

Thank you ever so for the help!

Ooo lovely, thank you ever so for the links! I'll definitely look into those!

I'm just terrified to use something that's going to hurt him/make it worse :(

Thank you ever so again for the links. I'll look into them now!

Nothing I have suggested will make it worse, I promise you :D

Carpet can be quite abrasive on hocks so a good idea to perhaps cover the area with old duvet covers or something similar to help heal.

Thank you all for your help!

I don't know if anyone will see this on this thread again, but since I last posted on here I've been putting a tiny bit of Sudocrem on Chibi's wounds and they're looking so much better! I'm thrilled with his progress and he's getting on much better with baby socks and some padding underneath rather than the vet wrap that he did have on.

Thank you all so much for your help! :love::thumb:

Aww glad to hear it seems to be healing. Hopefully it continues on that road to recovery :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I don't know if anyone will see this on this thread again, but since I last posted on here I've been putting a tiny bit of Sudocrem on Chibi's wounds and they're looking so much better! I'm thrilled with his progress and he's getting on much better with baby socks and some padding underneath rather than the vet wrap that he did have on.

Thank you all so much for your help! :love::thumb:

Brilliant news :D

Some vets recommend Sudocrem, and I made socks and boots for my rabbit with sore hocks so you're on the right track there :thumb:

Back