Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Anyone tried drying grass?

  1. #1
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    39,844

    Default Anyone tried drying grass?

    I've done a bit but haven't space for much ..

    Some of my lawn has gone to stalky in the heat and I wondered if it was worth drying just for interest's sake ..
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    13,111

    Default

    We have a "hay patch", which the OH cuts and dries each year. This will be done in the next day or two. None of my rabbits will touch it We use it as litter for the chicken enclosure and it is perfect for that. We get enough to last the year. I suspect the reason why the rabbits don't like it is because it is pale brown by comparison with the commercial hay which is green. The fields opposite the house are used for hay production and interestingly his hay also looks the same colour. I think the commercial hay is quick-dried in a barn.

    If you want to make hay it needs to be laid out in rows and turned regularly.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

  3. #3
    Warren Scout HouseOfRabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Yes I have as an experiment a couple of weeks ago. I put it on top of my runaround run with a white tarp underneath and it took about a day and a half to dry with no turning. The hooligans really liked it as well but they're aren't getting what little is left to eat until Xmas

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    39,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    We have a "hay patch", which the OH cuts and dries each year. This will be done in the next day or two. None of my rabbits will touch it We use it as litter for the chicken enclosure and it is perfect for that. We get enough to last the year. I suspect the reason why the rabbits don't like it is because it is pale brown by comparison with the commercial hay which is green. The fields opposite the house are used for hay production and interestingly his hay also looks the same colour. I think the commercial hay is quick-dried in a barn.

    If you want to make hay it needs to be laid out in rows and turned regularly.

    I did a bit last year and it went down well.
    I wonder why your buns don't like it .. I am guessing they like the same grass before it's been dried?
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    13,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    I did a bit last year and it went down well.
    I wonder why your buns don't like it .. I am guessing they like the same grass before it's been dried?
    Yes, but only whilst it's still lush and green. Once it starts to set seed and looks more dry and brownish, they are not so keen.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    39,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfRabbit View Post
    Yes I have as an experiment a couple of weeks ago. I put it on top of my runaround run with a white tarp underneath and it took about a day and a half to dry with no turning. The hooligans really liked it as well but they're aren't getting what little is left to eat until Xmas

    Was it a thick layer? Can I get away with drying a lot at once just like farmers must do?
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

  7. #7
    Warren Scout HouseOfRabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Was it a thick layer? Can I get away with drying a lot at once just like farmers must do?
    Think the biggest batch I tried got up to about an inch thick in places and I turned that once because of how much there was. That took 2 days some weeks ago when it was around 20 degrees.

    Would have thought you could copy the farmer's method, I just used the top of my run as it's in the back garden and was easier to keep an eye on the experiment. Plus it's south facing.

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    39,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfRabbit View Post
    Think the biggest batch I tried got up to about an inch thick in places and I turned that once because of how much there was. That took 2 days some weeks ago when it was around 20 degrees.

    Would have thought you could copy the farmer's method, I just used the top of my run as it's in the back garden and was easier to keep an eye on the experiment. Plus it's south facing.

    The top of a run is a good idea as air will circulate all round.

    I might put some grass on top of a boarding run and get it dried in the sunshine
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

  9. #9
    Warren Scout HouseOfRabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    The top of a run is a good idea as air will circulate all round.

    I might put some grass on top of a boarding run and get it dried in the sunshine
    Please let us know how it goes. I'd be interested in finding out whether there's a difference in drying time between just air dry or air dry plus white sheet/tarp ready for next time when my grass has grown a bit.

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    39,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfRabbit View Post
    Please let us know how it goes. I'd be interested in finding out whether there's a difference in drying time between just air dry or air dry plus white sheet/tarp ready for next time when my grass has grown a bit.

    Will do

    Atm I have it inside, but there's a limit to how much I can do.
    I intend to mix it in with the forage I have dried.
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •