Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Rabbit with Red Bump on Skin (Newbie with Rabbits! Need help!)

  1. #1

    Default Rabbit with Red Bump on Skin (Newbie with Rabbits! Need help!)

    Hello!
    I have a 2 year old male Mini Rex rabbit who lives in a large run outdoors with his brother and some poultry. Both of them are hardly tame, but as he was walking I noticed a red bump on top of his fur on the underside of his hind leg. I eventually got him and tried to hold him still, and examined his foot.
    It was a raised bump and about a fourth of my pinky finger. He walks fine, but I noticed the bump today and wanted to know how urgent it was. I'll try to convince my parents to take him to the vet, but he acts wild and hates for people (probably including vets) to sit him still. I haven't taken them to the vet before, and this is the only problem I've had with my rabbits for about two years. How would that work???

  2. #2
    Mama Doe kattymieoww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    I know that rex rabbits are prone to sore hocks,hopefully someone with experience of this will help you.

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    134,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lpm1 View Post
    Hello!
    I have a 2 year old male Mini Rex rabbit who lives in a large run outdoors with his brother and some poultry. Both of them are hardly tame, but as he was walking I noticed a red bump on top of his fur on the underside of his hind leg. I eventually got him and tried to hold him still, and examined his foot.
    It was a raised bump and about a fourth of my pinky finger. He walks fine, but I noticed the bump today and wanted to know how urgent it was. I'll try to convince my parents to take him to the vet, but he acts wild and hates for people (probably including vets) to sit him still. I haven't taken them to the vet before, and this is the only problem I've had with my rabbits for about two years. How would that work???
    Hello

    It may be that he has a sore toe. Does it look like this ?



    As Kattymieoww mentioned, Rex Rabbits are very prone to developing Sore Hocks (Ulcerative Pododermatitis) and sore feet.

    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_di...l/Pod/Podo.htm

    It is very important that any sign of this painful and progressive condition receives prompt Veterinary attention. It is also essential that they are housed on a suitable substrate. I do urge you to try to make sure your Rabbit is checked over by a Vet. Left untreated sore feet/hocks can become very serious.

    Are you in the UK ? If so are you aware of the importance of vaccinating Rabbits ? As you say your Rabbits have never been seen by a Vet I am assuming they are not vaccinated ?

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

    I do hope that you can get your Rabbit seen by a Vet, good luck.


    Twickenham Veterinary Surgery- Competent and compassionate Rabbit Savvy Vets in SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

    Two Californian X Rescues in Need of their forever home, can you be their Special Human ?
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...-Californian-X

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Hello

    It may be that he has a sore toe. Does it look like this ?



    As Kattymieoww mentioned, Rex Rabbits are very prone to developing Sore Hocks (Ulcerative Pododermatitis) and sore feet.

    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_di...l/Pod/Podo.htm

    It is very important that any sign of this painful and progressive condition receives prompt Veterinary attention. It is also essential that they are housed on a suitable substrate. I do urge you to try to make sure your Rabbit is checked over by a Vet. Left untreated sore feet/hocks can become very serious.

    Are you in the UK ? If so are you aware of the importance of vaccinating Rabbits ? As you say your Rabbits have never been seen by a Vet I am assuming they are not vaccinated ?

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

    I do hope that you can get your Rabbit seen by a Vet, good luck.
    It doesn't look like that. The bump is not on the bottom of the foot, it's rather on the side of it that isn't touching the ground. To me, it resembles a bump with a scab. He lives on shavings, but he prefers to lay in the dirt and grass in the run; I haven't raised him on wiring. I live in America, if the conditions make any difference.
    I will try to take a photo today of him, but it will be hard since he isn't very tame.

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    134,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lpm1 View Post
    It doesn't look like that. The bump is not on the bottom of the foot, it's rather on the side of it that isn't touching the ground. To me, it resembles a bump with a scab. He lives on shavings, but he prefers to lay in the dirt and grass in the run; I haven't raised him on wiring. I live in America, if the conditions make any difference.
    I will try to take a photo today of him, but it will be hard since he isn't very tame.
    Maybe it's an abscess/ toe nail base infection. Can you get a Vet to take a look at it ? If there were to be infection present then obviously some treatment would be needed.

    Have you checked your poultry for ticks (Argas persicus) ? I know this particular tick can effect some other species of animals, but I am not certain if that includes Rabbits

    https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry...tes/fowl-ticks

    But as I mentioned, getting a Vet to take a look would be the best way to ascertain what the problem is.


    Twickenham Veterinary Surgery- Competent and compassionate Rabbit Savvy Vets in SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

    Two Californian X Rescues in Need of their forever home, can you be their Special Human ?
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...-Californian-X

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    37,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lpm1 View Post
    Hello!
    I have a 2 year old male Mini Rex rabbit who lives in a large run outdoors with his brother and some poultry. Both of them are hardly tame, but as he was walking I noticed a red bump on top of his fur on the underside of his hind leg. I eventually got him and tried to hold him still, and examined his foot.
    It was a raised bump and about a fourth of my pinky finger. He walks fine, but I noticed the bump today and wanted to know how urgent it was. I'll try to convince my parents to take him to the vet, but he acts wild and hates for people (probably including vets) to sit him still. I haven't taken them to the vet before, and this is the only problem I've had with my rabbits for about two years. How would that work???

    Without seeing a photo or being a vet, it sounds to me like there could be an infection at the base of one of his nails which is causing the red swelling you're seeing. Otherwise it might be a bite or skin irritation which he has picked or bitten at and it's made it sore.

    You're best bet is to take him to the vet to get it looked at and if necessary some antibiotic cream or treatment.

    Good luck
    Reliable and up to date info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...RHD2-July-2018

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •