• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with Red Bump on Skin (Newbie with Rabbits! Need help!)

lpm1

New Kit
Hello!
I have a 2 year old male Mini Rex rabbit who lives in a large run outdoors with his brother and some poultry. Both of them are hardly tame, but as he was walking I noticed a red bump on top of his fur on the underside of his hind leg. I eventually got him and tried to hold him still, and examined his foot.
It was a raised bump and about a fourth of my pinky finger. He walks fine, but I noticed the bump today and wanted to know how urgent it was. I'll try to convince my parents to take him to the vet, but he acts wild and hates for people (probably including vets) to sit him still. I haven't taken them to the vet before, and this is the only problem I've had with my rabbits for about two years. How would that work??? :(

I know that rex rabbits are prone to sore hocks,hopefully someone with experience of this will help you.

Hello!
I have a 2 year old male Mini Rex rabbit who lives in a large run outdoors with his brother and some poultry. Both of them are hardly tame, but as he was walking I noticed a red bump on top of his fur on the underside of his hind leg. I eventually got him and tried to hold him still, and examined his foot.
It was a raised bump and about a fourth of my pinky finger. He walks fine, but I noticed the bump today and wanted to know how urgent it was. I'll try to convince my parents to take him to the vet, but he acts wild and hates for people (probably including vets) to sit him still. I haven't taken them to the vet before, and this is the only problem I've had with my rabbits for about two years. How would that work??? :(

Hello

It may be that he has a sore toe. Does it look like this ?

fP1UkhR.jpg

As Kattymieoww mentioned, Rex Rabbits are very prone to developing Sore Hocks (Ulcerative Pododermatitis) and sore feet.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

It is very important that any sign of this painful and progressive condition receives prompt Veterinary attention. It is also essential that they are housed on a suitable substrate. I do urge you to try to make sure your Rabbit is checked over by a Vet. Left untreated sore feet/hocks can become very serious.

Are you in the UK ? If so are you aware of the importance of vaccinating Rabbits ? As you say your Rabbits have never been seen by a Vet I am assuming they are not vaccinated ?

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

I do hope that you can get your Rabbit seen by a Vet, good luck.

Hello

It may be that he has a sore toe. Does it look like this ?

fP1UkhR.jpg

As Kattymieoww mentioned, Rex Rabbits are very prone to developing Sore Hocks (Ulcerative Pododermatitis) and sore feet.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

It is very important that any sign of this painful and progressive condition receives prompt Veterinary attention. It is also essential that they are housed on a suitable substrate. I do urge you to try to make sure your Rabbit is checked over by a Vet. Left untreated sore feet/hocks can become very serious.

Are you in the UK ? If so are you aware of the importance of vaccinating Rabbits ? As you say your Rabbits have never been seen by a Vet I am assuming they are not vaccinated ?

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

I do hope that you can get your Rabbit seen by a Vet, good luck.

It doesn't look like that. The bump is not on the bottom of the foot, it's rather on the side of it that isn't touching the ground. To me, it resembles a bump with a scab. He lives on shavings, but he prefers to lay in the dirt and grass in the run; I haven't raised him on wiring. I live in America, if the conditions make any difference.
I will try to take a photo today of him, but it will be hard since he isn't very tame.

It doesn't look like that. The bump is not on the bottom of the foot, it's rather on the side of it that isn't touching the ground. To me, it resembles a bump with a scab. He lives on shavings, but he prefers to lay in the dirt and grass in the run; I haven't raised him on wiring. I live in America, if the conditions make any difference.
I will try to take a photo today of him, but it will be hard since he isn't very tame.

Maybe it's an abscess/ toe nail base infection. Can you get a Vet to take a look at it ? If there were to be infection present then obviously some treatment would be needed.

Have you checked your poultry for ticks (Argas persicus) ? I know this particular tick can effect some other species of animals, but I am not certain if that includes Rabbits

https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/ectoparasites/fowl-ticks

But as I mentioned, getting a Vet to take a look would be the best way to ascertain what the problem is.

Hello!

Without seeing a photo or being a vet, it sounds to me like there could be an infection at the base of one of his nails which is causing the red swelling you're seeing. Otherwise it might be a bite or skin irritation which he has picked or bitten at and it's made it sore.

You're best bet is to take him to the vet to get it looked at and if necessary some antibiotic cream or treatment.

Good luck :)

Back