• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elderly rabbits advice please

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
hi all
I havent been on for a while but i am hoping someone might be able to offer some advice for my two remaining bunnies. Yoshi a male lionlop is 10 and a half and Alex is a female netherland dwarf x rex and she is 9 (both neutered)
Yoshi never seems to want to voluntarily come outside anymore (they live in a large summerhouse 15ft bu about 8ft) when u bring him out he is quite happy for a short while then goes back in. He is still happy to see us and greats us etc but spends most of his time flaked out sleeping ... so chilled we have to look to see if he is breathing 🙄 . Lately we have noticed one or both of them has started weeing on the level where the flake out. We know they still use the litter tray as we see them both using it.
What we are trying to work out is whether to redesign their home as they are oaps or whether this is laziness. They have both been to the vet recently and the vet said they are both in an amazing condition especially for their age. 😃
They love their platforms and they lay put lovely together but where yoshi sleeps so much alex can be a bit bossy outside which isnt helping matters

Could you put a litter tray on the level before re-designing their house? They are good ages :thumb:

They may be having some mobility issues or some aches that result if them not wanting to make the trip to the litter box. Even though they are not young bunnies, they sound like they are happy so they can have more good times together and with you.

hi all
I havent been on for a while but i am hoping someone might be able to offer some advice for my two remaining bunnies. Yoshi a male lionlop is 10 and a half and Alex is a female netherland dwarf x rex and she is 9 (both neutered)
Yoshi never seems to want to voluntarily come outside anymore (they live in a large summerhouse 15ft bu about 8ft) when u bring him out he is quite happy for a short while then goes back in. He is still happy to see us and greats us etc but spends most of his time flaked out sleeping ... so chilled we have to look to see if he is breathing �� . Lately we have noticed one or both of them has started weeing on the level where the flake out. We know they still use the litter tray as we see them both using it.
What we are trying to work out is whether to redesign their home as they are oaps or whether this is laziness. They have both been to the vet recently and the vet said they are both in an amazing condition especially for their age. ��
They love their platforms and they lay put lovely together but where yoshi sleeps so much alex can be a bit bossy outside which isnt helping matters

Hello, it's nice to hear from you again.

It may be that both Bunnies are a bit arthritic now. This can make Bunnies less agile. So I'd try to make their accommodation mostly on one level, so they dont have to negotiate ramps and jump up onto/into things.

Regarding Yoshi, did the Vet check his ears ? Elderly Lops who are less agile can be prone to getting gunky ears. So his rather spectacular deep sleeps may be because he cannot hear you approaching.

A reluctance to move too far from familiar environment can be associated with a reduction in vision, as well as being somewhat stiff from age related arthritis. Did the Vet mention this at all and did he/she check for any signs of cataract formation ?

Despite their advanced years they both sound to be happy within themselves :) I would sart to weigh them both a couple of times a weak. Elderly Rabbits may struggle to maintain their body weight. Also, any on going weight loss can be a red flag to warn of a possible health problem. So should either Bunny's weight be on a constant downward trend I'd pop back to the Vets

These links may be useful to take a look at

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/caring-senior-rabbits/

https://rabbit.org/elderbuns/

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/seniors.html

Last edited:
Hi all thank you for the replies. (jacks-Jane nice to hear from you . Hope you are well.
Yoshi does have the start of cataracts in both eyes but the vet said they are not a problem for him at the moment .(although maybe they are causing him some problems) She did check his ears too and they were fine but she said as he does sleep so deeply it could be that he is going deaf ��. I don't think it helps that he now has to share our garden with our 2 year old daughter and her toys. (Obviously I keep things out of his way but if his vision is a problem that could explain things) weight wise at the moment if anything yoshi is getting a touch on the overweight side due to lack of exercise but I have started bringing him out into the garden later in the evening when it's cooler but still light so he stretches those legs a bit. Their enclosure is going to be redesigned as they have ruined two of the ramps and platforms with peeing so going to have a revamp and turn it into their retirement home lol.... Alex is occasionally showing signs of age but still bombs around the garden and tries getting into mischief at any opportunity. A couple weeks ago she chewed through our wood fence and went under the neighbours decking (that was fun NOT) then yesterday she managed to somehow get behind the summerhouse �� From day one that rabbit has been a mischievous little thing always causing problems from escapes to bullying, I hope at some point she just chills out. She loves playing football with my daughters ball (nudging with her nose )

Back