• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bit worried about Lopsy: Question p22

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Lopsy's got thinner: his backbone is way too pronounced. We fix it by giving him extra pellets (a whole third of a scoop to himself! :O) for a few days and then he's fine again, before it creeps back out. Aboleth's fine, 'just right' in feel. He's eating fine, although as Matt (OH) pointed out he's not always smart enough to come to the forage place before Aboleth's been there for 5-10mins (and you all know how fast fresh forage can disappear!). But I've also noticed something: he's not really eating the current hay. I fed him some of their old hay I found lying around and he was proper going for it, as was Aboleth, but he seems less interested in the hay generally, and even Aboleth isn't really tucking in. They'll eat a whole hay cookie in an afternoon though, and Lopsy will hoover the bits up afterwards. Poos are fine, for summer :) And caecotroph output is normal: no extras hanging around but he's definitely eating some.

The current hay is short, stalky stuff and it seems they prefer long and stalky but with 'leafier' bits mixed in. I thought they'd hate the previous hay but they were all over it! Shows how much I know :roll: :lol: I can't really fit another bale in RIGHT now and I'm reticent about getting smaller portions as it's so expensive: I like to see what I'm getting and have a squeeze, so online is out, I'm afraid (I'm spoiled by having a car and time :roll:). But I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and purchase a small portion if I can find the right stuff, as it's the next best thing to try.

They're due for their RHD-Myxo this month, so I'm not worried about getting him into the vet sooner rather than later. Lopsy's a very hands-off rabbit in a lot of ways: no attempt at picking him up has ever resulted in 0 injuries, even at the vets' :S He doesn't like being restrained either. I suppose I'm lucky I can touch any part of him if he's distracted by food: he's very tolerant of a good bum-feel (poo/bum check), ears being pulled about and a tummy rub as long as he's got at least three feet on the floor or other non-moving object!

Anything else I could try pre-vet visit?

Last edited:
They take a few days sometimes to get used to a new hay, maybe this is it? Or the heat but that never puts mine off eating! I would make sure they are ok before vaccinating.

I have no advice, but I am still having similar issues with Tethra. Doesn't of course mean that the cause is the same. He doesn't like the goodies from Galens Garden :( I suppose basically he's just become incredibly picky, whereas I am used to him being greedy and eating almost anything.

Tbh I think in your case I would take them earlier for their vaccination. Although I have not taken Tethra to the vets, mainly as I'm not sure they can do much without diagnostics (and I don't feel we are at that stage), but also because he struggles so much with the visit.

Trying new/different hay might help. Mine always seem to like a change and eat more with a different type for a while.

Poor boy.I have a soft spot for Lopsy as he reminds me of Mouse. I would definitely draw his attention to the arrival of fresh forage before greedy pants has it all & keep trying new hay. I too would bring their appointment forward - sorry. Lots of well wishes

Thanks tonibun and Omi: the bunnies usually take to new hay with gusto, but they've both been really 'off' with this one, an 'eat it if we have to' stance almost. I wouldn't be worried about the lack of hay eating if Lopsy was normal, as they often slow right down hay-wise in forage-feeding season, but even so I usually need to top it up in the house every week minimum, and I haven't for a couple of weeks now!

Hmm, that makes me sound a bit cruel! Ha ha! I have two ginormous hay racks in the house! I tend to top it up when one side of the window-box one goes right down; the hanging basket they haven't even tried to use this time and that's usually a firm Lopsy favourite. In their hutch they have a wired-up hanging basket which I'm changing only weekly too, as there's little coming out of it. I did try putting hay in their 'new' litter tray (Aboleth decided she didn't want to toilet under the hay rack anymore :roll: and now they both much prefer it: I'm assuming heat related) but that's not really gone down anywhere near as much as I'd've expected either.

I'll get some different hay: I'll pop into Beeston tonight as I've got options (Wilko and B&M), otherwise they'll have to wait until Friday! Omi, Lopsy's not great at the vets either, he doesn't like the room and doesn't like new people not giving him food :roll: But no harm in bringing their combi vacc forward, especially if there's going to be further disruptions to supply when they're due for their RHD2. I'l pop in on my way home and make an appointment :)

ETA: thanks too J&B, he did something yesterday that was 'OMG he looks just like Mouse like that!' so yes, I get it :D

Lopsy's got thinner: his backbone is way too pronounced. We fix it by giving him extra pellets (a whole third of a scoop to himself! :O) for a few days and then he's fine again, before it creeps back out. Aboleth's fine, 'just right' in feel. He's eating fine, although as Matt (OH) pointed out he's not always smart enough to come to the forage place before Aboleth's been there for 5-10mins (and you all know how fast fresh forage can disappear!). But I've also noticed something: he's not really eating the current hay. I fed him some of their old hay I found lying around and he was proper going for it, as was Aboleth, but he seems less interested in the hay generally, and even Aboleth isn't really tucking in. They'll eat a whole hay cookie in an afternoon though, and Lopsy will hoover the bits up afterwards. Poos are fine, for summer :) And caecotroph output is normal: no extras hanging around but he's definitely eating some.

The current hay is short, stalky stuff and it seems they prefer long and stalky but with 'leafier' bits mixed in. I thought they'd hate the previous hay but they were all over it! Shows how much I know :roll: :lol: I can't really fit another bale in RIGHT now and I'm reticent about getting smaller portions as it's so expensive: I like to see what I'm getting and have a squeeze, so online is out, I'm afraid (I'm spoiled by having a car and time :roll:). But I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and purchase a small portion if I can find the right stuff, as it's the next best thing to try.

They're due for their RHD-Myxo this month, so I'm not worried about getting him into the vet sooner rather than later. Lopsy's a very hands-off rabbit in a lot of ways: no attempt at picking him up has ever resulted in 0 injuries, even at the vets' :S He doesn't like being restrained either. I suppose I'm lucky I can touch any part of him if he's distracted by food: he's very tolerant of a good bum-feel (poo/bum check), ears being pulled about and a tummy rub as long as he's got at least three feet on the floor or other non-moving object!

Anything else I could try pre-vet visit?

KK this is a tricky one, as weight loss can mean something but there again could possible be nothing serious. What age is Lopsy?

I would bring the appointment forward and get the vet to check his teeth. How about fresh grass, does he like that? (if you have any left in this heatwave).

Just in case there's anything requiring a GA I would personally try and top up his food intake to keep his immune system good. A pinch of oats or sunflower seed kernels maybe.

Perhaps get a sample of something from nearby fellow RU-ers and also order samples from companies to see what he likes. Nothing worse than getting a bale load or a big bag of hay and then finding out it's not what they go for. Would readigrass help with fibre and a bit extra protein?

KK this is a tricky one, as weight loss can mean something but there again could possible be nothing serious. What age is Lopsy?

I would bring the appointment forward and get the vet to check his teeth. How about fresh grass, does he like that? (if you have any left in this heatwave).

Just in case there's anything requiring a GA I would personally try and top up his food intake to keep his immune system good. A pinch of oats or sunflower seed kernels maybe.

Perhaps get a sample of something from nearby fellow RU-ers and also order samples from companies to see what he likes. Nothing worse than getting a bale load or a big bag of hay and then finding out it's not what they go for. Would readigrass help with fibre and a bit extra protein?
Thanks MM: he should be 5. We were told by Matt's colleague he'd been with her from petshop to rehoming for just over a year, and we've had him since August 2014, and there's no reason to suspect he's any older. They're both still mad keen on grass, yes: maybe I should carry on watering the lawn?! Argh! :lol: I've got some readigrass so I'll throw that at them: Aboleth doesn't like it as much as he does, or didn't, so that should be straightforward. He's doing alright on a few extra pellets for a few days so I'll stick with that for now rather than feed oats or seeds as I'm not confident about them (inhalation hasn't happened but from the hoovering noises he makes it could well do! :roll:). I just have to wait until they're in separate areas and sneak them to him, while I make sure Aboleth gets a few stray rosepetals or something so she suspects nothing :twisted:

As you say, it could just be nothing, or it could be his teeth, or it could have a bad effect on his teeth (my biggest worry), or it could be something more malicious. I didn't feel anything the other day when I gave him a good squeezing (while he was eating, so no scars!) but that just rules out anything really obvious.

Thanks MM: he should be 5. We were told by Matt's colleague he'd been with her from petshop to rehoming for just over a year, and we've had him since August 2014, and there's no reason to suspect he's any older. They're both still mad keen on grass, yes: maybe I should carry on watering the lawn?! Argh! :lol: I've got some readigrass so I'll throw that at them: Aboleth doesn't like it as much as he does, or didn't, so that should be straightforward. He's doing alright on a few extra pellets for a few days so I'll stick with that for now rather than feed oats or seeds as I'm not confident about them (inhalation hasn't happened but from the hoovering noises he makes it could well do! :roll:). I just have to wait until they're in separate areas and sneak them to him, while I make sure Aboleth gets a few stray rosepetals or something so she suspects nothing :twisted:

As you say, it could just be nothing, or it could be his teeth, or it could have a bad effect on his teeth (my biggest worry), or it could be something more malicious. I didn't feel anything the other day when I gave him a good squeezing (while he was eating, so no scars!) but that just rules out anything really obvious.

You're welcome.

Readigrass sounds like something to try, especially as Aboleth isn't so keen. That will also be excellent for the teeth and wears them down just as well as hay. Mind you, so does grass :)

I understand about inhaling food - I only made those suggestions in case the pellets weren't doing the job of keeping the weight up :)

Yes, water the lawn - it's my bunnies' food as well. Are you on a water meter?

Yes, water the lawn - it's my bunnies' food as well. Are you on a water meter?
No, thankfully! And I only use the hose to water the lawn and adjacent needy plants, use a can for everything else so I feel less guilty!

P@H timothy hay went down really well :) They've flaked out post-forage. Vets on Friday afternoon :)

No, thankfully! And I only use the hose to water the lawn and adjacent needy plants, use a can for everything else so I feel less guilty!

P@H timothy hay went down really well :) They've flaked out post-forage. Vets on Friday afternoon :)

I'm glad they approve of that hay! One plus :)

Aw no I hope he gets better soon :( Don't have any advice really, could it possibly be due to the hot weather (stopping him from eating as much)? B&M have two types of hay, both nice and sweet but my rabbits love the one with the flowers in so maybe Lopsy will like that. If you're wanting to get a bale but don't have the storage space I'd be happy to split with you

Thanks DemiS: storage space is only a problem because I'm sorting the garage out, but if I do decide to get another whole bale I'll be in touch as I don't think I'll have enough space soon enough! They're both laid out asleep post-breakfast in a place I can't get pictures :roll: :lol:

Vets went fine, better than usual! Lopsy proved he's a great escape artist, but also came to me for cuddles (with feet covered in wee: thanks XD) which is new, and Aboleth was a good girl, although she'd managed to lose a dew claw on the journey in, but it seems fine today :) Vet said there's nothing immediately obvious, and being the unhandelable rabbit he is, if what I'm doing now works, keep it up for the short term, as it could be the heat, could be moulting, could be anything else. If he's still up&down in a month's time when they're back for their RHD2, we might think about further investigations.

Pictures of me covered in wee: yes I did go shopping after this (I brouht them home first!) because I have no shame XD And I don't often wear white, but this one was filthy already from sanding down red paint, so I didn't care!

Dhb1mxwX0AIqMHv.jpg

Dhb1oKkW0AAYcyo.jpg

I'm glad the vets went well and that there's nothing obviously wrong. I think the plan to leave it a while is sound.

Yes why is it that suncream often stains? Madness!
We looked at the efficacy of suncream in A-level chemistry and it was fascinating: it's to do with the components, and if it's high-factor suncream, the physical blocking components are much more concentrated, and I think they're the bits that stick in the fabric! So my factor 50 does hang around a bit :) I could be misremembering though, it was 16 years ago XD

We looked at the efficacy of suncream in A-level chemistry and it was fascinating: it's to do with the components, and if it's high-factor suncream, the physical blocking components are much more concentrated, and I think they're the bits that stick in the fabric! So my factor 50 does hang around a bit :) I could be misremembering though, it was 16 years ago XD
I think it depends if its physical or chemical also Idk I have to be honest other than my face and neck which I won't leave the house without suncream on, the rest of me I've left, got too much applying it everyday haha, I'm all tanned now so shouldn't burn now anyway hopefully [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I think it depends if its physical or chemical also Idk I have to be honest other than my face and neck which I won't leave the house without suncream on, the rest of me I've left, got too much applying it everyday haha, I'm all tanned now so shouldn't burn now anyway hopefully [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

You would be easy to recognise then - white face and brown body :)

Back