• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor rabbits- keeping your flat/ house clean

My rabbits have a large cage as their base, previously I used the hay racks that attach to the outside of the cage but filling them up made a ton of mess so I had one made that fits inside the cage and it made a massive difference, loading up their hay is mess free now. I also have the hay rack in the corner of their cage and a little doormat outside of it, so to leave their base and go in to the living room they have to make a few hops across some puppy pads (which are quite good at trapping bits of hay) then on to the doormat so it's very unlikely that there'd still be hay stuck to their feet by the time they hit the living room floor.

Something else i found that really helped was getting a dustbuster (a little handheld vacuum) and keeping a little bin and dustpan/brush next to the cage. Maybe it's just because I'm lazy but I keep things a lot tidier when the equipment is right next to where i need to clean. Like rather than me having to go find the big vac, lug it around, plug it in, wind up all the cord and put it away again, I can keep the dustbuster in the room and just pick it up when there's stray poos/hay.

Personally I think socks/slippers make the situation worse but I know some people won't go without them. If I stand on a bit of hay barefoot i can feel it straight away and pick it off, my fiance on the other hand always wears slippers and is oblivious to dirt that he's tracking around :roll:

Hi all

Thanks for your suggestions :) I’m pleased to hear I’m not the only one having difficulties with hay. Very grateful for the suggestions, especially for the rubber bristle brush and doormat. We don’t wear socks around the flat, but hay still manages to get everywhere. I’ve even worn a few hay strands to work!

DemiS- I think the DustBuster you’ve mentioned is a US brand. Can anyone recommend a handheld UK vacuum that doesn’t get clogged up within 2 minutes?

Thanks again for your suggestions

:)

Hi all

Thanks for your suggestions :) I’m pleased to hear I’m not the only one having difficulties with hay. Very grateful for the suggestions, especially for the rubber bristle brush and doormat. We don’t wear socks around the flat, but hay still manages to get everywhere. I’ve even worn a few hay strands to work!

DemiS- I think the DustBuster you’ve mentioned is a US brand. Can anyone recommend a handheld UK vacuum that doesn’t get clogged up within 2 minutes?

We have one. I'll try to find its link for you :)

ETA link.... I'm pretty sure it's this one. https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1317521034...9%26rvr_ts%3D6e9261791640a88476d5e470fff757b3

It's in the girls bedroom and does a good job at getting stray poops :) We hardly use ours though.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I use a long handled dustpan and brush for cleaning up any hay, and stray poops. The majority of the floor is laminate so it’s easy to clean like that. Since changing to better hay rather than meadow hay there’s hardly any mess, as he gobbles it all up rather than dropping it!

I use a long handled dustpan and brush for cleaning up any hay, and stray poops. The majority of the floor is laminate so it’s easy to clean like that. Since changing to better hay rather than meadow hay there’s hardly any mess, as he gobbles it all up rather than dropping it!

:thumb:

The best £1 I have spent :D

Hi all

Black & Decker make Dustbusters in the UK and you can get them from argos and amazon :) I just got the basic one which i think was just under £20. It's got enough power to suck up bunny poops, I tend to use it around the cage for stray poops, fur and bits of stray bedding/hay. If you try suck up quite a lot of hay then it will stick near the nozzle rather than go in to the collection chamber, but once you've done it's really easy to just pull out any hay that's stuck and empty the chamber in to the bin. So much quicker and easier and less messy than a big vacuum. Because it's small it's really easy to wash the chamber and filter too :)

ETA: I initially bought mine just to clean up around the rabbit cage but it's great if you don't have time/can't be bothered to do a 'proper' vac, it's especially useful on stairs because who likes lugging a big vacuum cleaner up and down the stairs

Last edited:
Back