• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor rabbits- keeping your flat/ house clean

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
Hi all,

We keep our bunny in the front room- and it permanently looks messy/ like Bethlehem.

There’s hay everywhere! I guess I have to get used to this, and I vacuum often. But does anyone have any tips on how to contain the mess/hay and keep their rabbit area tidy?

Thanks

Hi all,

We keep our bunny in the front room- and it permanently looks messy/ like Bethlehem.

There’s hay everywhere! I guess I have to get used to this, and I vacuum often. But does anyone have any tips on how to contain the mess/hay and keep their rabbit area tidy?

Thanks

Not really... But we use one of those small indoor cages, we'll the one I'm using is 6ft long actually but still, and we always have at least 1 door open (one I have has a few doors) this is where the litter tray, water and copious amounts of hay live, bits end up in front of it where they jump in and out, but we don't end up with hay everywhere in the living room :) and it's easy to sweep those little bits up - it's tricky tho with house buns x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I feel like having wooden floors or rugs is easier - hay just gets in the carpet and wont come out. that or you end up jamming the vacuum with hay :oops:

I've helped some of the mess be contained with a hutch/pen combo. the litter tray is inside and so is the hay. for any hay that falls out of the hay rack, it falls onto a puppy pad. much easier to sweep and I can just roll it up and throw it out. you can get 50 of them at wilkos for 3.50 I believe.

basically, puppy pads have been my saviour!!

I'd love to know! Ours manage to trash the place seconds after I've sorted it.

Blossom has recently decided that puppy pads (I've been putting them under litter tray in case of leaks) are fun to shred into pieces!

I got her a hay filled cube and put it in a cardboard box to keep it contained. But she insisted it needed to be all over the floor instead :lol: x

I feel like having wooden floors or rugs is easier - hay just gets in the carpet and wont come out. that or you end up jamming the vacuum with hay :oops:

I've helped some of the mess be contained with a hutch/pen combo. the litter tray is inside and so is the hay. for any hay that falls out of the hay rack, it falls onto a puppy pad. much easier to sweep and I can just roll it up and throw it out. you can get 50 of them at wilkos for 3.50 I believe.

basically, puppy pads have been my saviour!!

Yup, wooden floors with rugs that you can just shake out.
That said, mine don't seem to strew the hay around much, but I have deep litter trays and home-made hayracks over the litter trays :)

Hmm I use a rubber bristled brush from robert dyas which picks up hay quite well but their carpet is never properly clean ...

msc4sp.jpg

vews3d.jpg

w03y93.jpg

Rubber brush is great on carpet to get it into a pile to clean.

I've got a few things from MPH which helps contain the hay and makes it easier to clean up.

(Litter tray with built in hay rack, hay tower, hay rack, dig box)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I complelty get where you coming from, we have a bungalow which was carpeted throughout and we used to have hay everywhere.. even in the bath tub! :lol:

We’ve now got laminate down in our lounge, hallway and kitchen. The buns have part carpet and Lino in their room which seems to work well. For their carpet we use a very stiff brush and it works a treat for getting the hay up!

They have a large under storage box for their main litter in their bedroom. But we also have a second litter tray in our lounge which is a hooded litter tray and seems to contain the hay well.

Try and wear slippers/flipflops as socks just allow you walk hay all through the house. I find it in rooms the rabbits don't even go in. Trying to train my OH not just the bunnies!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Try and wear slippers/flipflops as socks just allow you walk hay all through the house. I find it in rooms the rabbits don't even go in. Trying to train my OH not just the bunnies!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I had someone staying recently, and when I changed the sheets I found a solitary poo in the bed :shock:

OMG I've just realised how this sounds :shock::shock:

The guest didn't leave a solitary poo. No - I think it must have got there on her bare feet.
And yes, definitely a rabbit-loving guest :lol::thumb:

OMG I've just realised how this sounds :shock::shock:

The guest didn't leave a solitary poo. No - I think it must have got there on her bare feet.
And yes, definitely a rabbit-loving guest :lol::thumb:

thats what I'd assumed, it still tickled me lots

its impoosible

i had the bunnies inside for 6 months

they lived on the ground floor, I lived upstairs

no shoes upstairs, always left downstairs

hay and straw on the stairs, landing...bedrooms, bathrooms

its impoosible

i had the bunnies inside for 6 months

they lived on the ground floor, I lived upstairs

no shoes upstairs, always left downstairs

hay and straw on the stairs, landing...bedrooms, bathrooms
I agree. I've given up. As far as the buns are concerned they just have a giant bun house and we happen to share it with them. There is hay everywhere!

It sticks to socks & clothes and the buns like to carry snacks around with them leaving the untasty bits at the end of their mini picnic!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Back