• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The hutch needs a new floor urgently! Help!

beki

Mama Doe
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about wood and could give me some advice please.

I have a 6x2 welfare hutch and the floor has rotted. The top level has a hole in it already and may be rotted through within the next week, this hot weather is just making it crumble away. The bottom is beginning to get thin too and I’m afraid of the bunnies falling through (though they are too fat to escape)

What is the best wood to replace it with please? I’m hoping it will be easy to do as I have next to no diy skills.

I’ve had the hutch 3 years and not impressed. My old hutch was a cheap eBay but and lasted over 5 years with minimal repair. This has lasted barely 3 :(

Thanks. Where will I buy marine ply. Could I get it at b&q?

Lino is a big no unfortunately. Bertie eats it. It used to have lino on it and he ate the lot! All 12x2 feet of it plus the tape used to stick it down. Sometimes I wonder how he is still alive!

Was thinking of coating it in coprinol instead

Thanks supersonic for the suggestion but even if my bunny was not a lino eater, the floor is well past saving. It has got worse since yesterday. Yesterday it was cracking now there is a hole

Don't know about if you can get it at B&Q but if you've got a timber merchant nearby then they should have it. Somewhere like Wickes or Screwfix would be worth a try as well. Sorry can't be more help with where to get it as my dad does the diy on my hutches.

You really need exterior grade ply or OSB sheets. You could use the internal grades, but they would need to be fully sealed on all edges and both sides to stop moisture getting in and gradually degrading the panels (which is what has happened to yours).

Something like these would do:

This would do 2 floors, so would need cutting in half and trimming to fit:
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-General-Purpose-OSB3-Board-11-x-1220-x-2440mm/p/170914

Or 2 sheets of this:
https://www.diy.com/departments/plywood-sheet-th-9mm-w-610mm-l-1220mm/1696258_BQ.prd

Cut them to size with a hand saw or jigsaw, then paint them before you fit them if you can.
Saw: https://www.diy.com/departments/stanley-steel-saw-l-500mm/56853_BQ.prd

A local woodyard is often cheaper and more helpful. Google 'exterior ply' in your area and see what comes up. You don't need anything as thick as 18mm - 9-12mm will be fine. 6mm may be a bit thin and flimsy for hutch flooring.

hutch floor collapsed this morning, good thing it happened when I was at home! My garden is bunny proof thankfully but I would really have panicked if they had got out and hidden somewhere when I was at work. I looked out the window this morning and there they both were munching on the grass! They are now indoors in the dog crate until I can try and fix it at the weekend

Back