Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie - Will this pair likely bond?

Disaster (almost !) struck this morning !

I thought the baby was hiding in his box as his usually is so I opened his cage to take out his food bowl .

Mabel was in the main area .

The baby ran past me in to the main area and was out with Mabel .

Mabel ran to him and was gently nipping but the baby was so skittish he kept running and she kept chasing and nipping.

I was trying to catch them both but it all got a bit chaotic !

The baby was thumping and doing a high pitched grunting (not screaming) whilst Iím trying to catch him.

He was so stressed out and was jumping all over . In the end he froze and Mabel was trying to contact his nose before she lay down next to him and tried to put her head under his head .

The poor baby didnít know what to do but I managed a to scoop him up .

Heís not hurt but is very upset .

Have I totally messed up bonding now?

honestly, with bonding I've found it to be a breeze when they can be next to one another. she's likely a little upset and hurt about losing her friend, so she might be a bit territorial. he is also a "strange outsider" to her, I figure once she realises he means no harm they should be fine.

until he can be neutered, having them live side by side would be the best scenario. they're not bonded, but both of them can see one another which may help some. it will also aid in the bonding process.

usually for bonding introductions I recommend a thick pair of gloves on both hands and a small neutral pen. get some puppy panels and set up a 1x1 in an area they do not go, the bathroom perhaps. place both in there with some hay and see what happens, upon any fights separate. to begin with keep it short at 5-10 minute sessions and slowly up the time. its also always better to end on a positive note, eg them both ignoring one another, than ending on a fight.

as the bonding sessions get longer and longer, its time to start thinking about increasing the space. do it slowly, so go from a 1x1 to 2x2. if they argue, head back to a 1x1. eventually you'll be able to leave them alone in the pen without any worries. at that point, it is then time to start neutralising the pens with bleach and disinfectant. once that has been completed, you'll need to slowly introduce them to the new area. don't give them a 6ft pen suddenly all to themselves, this could break the bond. once again start out with a smaller space and increase it.

some others suggest a large space with plenty of toys/places to hide but I've found this creates more problems than it helps in my experience.

you could use the bath to bond if you place down a large thick blanket so they can not slip, but I'd be worried it would be too big and awkward. a pen might be easier
    Last edited by binkyCodie; 03-07-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    Snoopy : 14.02.15 - 12.05.17 [mini rex]👑Luna : 14.02.15 [rex]👑Orion : 21.10.17 [mini rex]

sorry, I didn't see your other post.

I don't think you have messed up with bonding, however it may now be harder. it is just best to keep them away from one another. I appreciate that this was a mistake, however the more these incidents happen (two now) without time being taken, serious injuries could be inflicted and it may become harder to bond. keep them away from any contact without the bars between them until his is neutered. bonding needs to be taken slowly.
    Snoopy : 14.02.15 - 12.05.17 [mini rex]👑Luna : 14.02.15 [rex]👑Orion : 21.10.17 [mini rex]

Thank you .

Iíve set them up side by side now but Iíve also added a protective pen around the baby so if he runs out his cage , he wonít actually be out in the main area .

Iím going to keep them completely separated until a few weeks after he is neutered .

My bun Iíve just lost wasnít ready for neutering until 20 weeks old so I could be in this side by side setup for another 3.5 months!

Do you think that is ok or too long ?

Will they grow more accustomed to each other over that time ?

Quote Originally Posted by NewBunnyNewbie View Post
    Thank you .

I’ve set them up side by side now but I’ve also added a protective pen around the baby so if he runs out his cage , he won’t actually be out in the main area .

I’m going to keep them completely separated until a few weeks after he is neutered .

My bun I’ve just lost wasn’t ready for neutering until 20 weeks old so I could be in this side by side setup for another 3.5 months!

Do you think that is ok or too long ?

Will they grow more accustomed to each other over that time ?
    It will be ok for this long and they should grow more accustomed with sight and smell of one another. Just keep an eye on their behaviour whilst living side by side as any signs of aggression can make it harder in the long run.
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:

*Nyssa & Zara cats*Aurora tortoise*Zeta & Eta guinea pigs*Rex-Rex Hamster*
    Never forgetting rabbits Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Takumi, Apollo, Iris, and Arce

Hopping Mad - Bespoke timber homes and accessories for small pets.
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.

they will most definitely become more accustomed to one another over that time, not a sense of you'll be able to throw them together, but they should be a little more friendly. they'll be more neutral and probably see one another as less of a threat.

its really buck dependant, my Orion was neutered at just gone 5 months, my other buck Snoopy wasn't ready until 6 months. I've heard others being ready at 3 months. it really a case of when their little friends decide to show up

Hopefully his little friends appear sooner rather than later ! Although Iím so nervous about bonding as Iím scared one will get hurt .

Do you think my Mabel will be comforted by the baby being near by ?

Sheís grieving for her lost mate , hasnít eaten much for days but is getting bits and pieces and still drinking water .

Will the fact she has someone of her own kind near her be a help to her ? Even though theyíre not bonded ?

Wise Old Thumper

Rabbits are strange creatures and don't always think like us. I find the best way with a rabbit who has lost a friend is to just give them time to become used to being alone and treat them gently, then they are ok. So, maybe you got the baby slightly early and it might help your female I don't know. Just keep them separated now and hopefully he will be able to be neutered from 12 weeks on, depending on your Vet.

I think youíre right , I probably did rush in to it because I panicked thinking she would be really sad .

Saying that , I love the new baby already and Iím pleased I have him .

Iím just going to take it really slow and see what happens after his neuter .