• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie - Will this pair likely bond?

My boy bunny died a few days ago :cry:

He went in for a neuter and they didn’t even manage to start the op as a few minutes in , his heart stopped and they couldn’t revive him :cry:

He was only 6 months old and has left behind his litter mate Mabel . A 6 month old female.

I’ve already got another new bunny boy as I didn’t want her to become depressed. I can tell she’s sad - only eating small amounts etc but she’s not moping and is very interested in Caramel (new boy).

Caramel is a tiny 9 week old , unneutered lion head lop.

I got it very wrong at first and set up Caramels cage next to Mabel’s in the spot she lived in with my passed bunny - she would lunge at Caramel and try to chew through the bars .

Mabel also got in to Caramels pen when I was cleaning litter where she sniffed and ignored him at first but then she attacked him (he wasn’t hurt luckily ).

So I scrubbed and disinfected Mabel’s cage and toys and bought a new litter tray.

Now I’ve set them up in their cages in a room new to them both - side by side but also with areas one can run away to etc.

Their litter trays and hay racks are next to each other separated by cage bars .

So far Mabel has tried to nip Caramel through the bars a few times ; he’s a bit bold so keeps going back so I don’t think she’s doing it too hard .

They’ve sat in their respective litter trays and groomed themselves.

Mabel is now sniffing and nose touching whilst trying to nip but also might just sniff and then turn away .

When Caramel runs past, Mabel might try to follow by chasing after him in her cage.

I piled up some hay on either side of the bars and they were both eating it near each other.

I’m planning to keep this set up for 2 weeks but I wanted to know if these are positive signs?

Your female will be becoming territorial over this new area so have you somewhere neutral to introduce them? Also in a few weeks the boy might start to pester the girl and she might get annoyed. A lot of folk would advise you to keep them separated completely until the boy is neutered, then introduce them in a neutral space. It has to be where your female hasn't been. Keeping them completely separate means they can't get aggressive with one another through the bars as this could hinder their future bonding. Females are very territorial to the point where it can prevent them from accepting a new friend.

I plan to introduce them in the bath tub - neither have ever been there .

I have been swapping the bunnies out so they both have the run of the neutral room . I’ve also let them in each other’s cages (without the other there) and swapped their litter trays - is this ok ?

Will it make the area more neutral ?

I did wonder whether I would have to get the male neutered first . I think that would be best .

It will mean that they live side by side in this regular swapping scenario for around 2 months - is that too long ?

Do you think my female will just be happier in herself knowing there’s another bunny next to her ?

She’s not aggressive towards him .

The thought of her being lonely after her mates death is the worst part :(

I plan to introduce them in the bath tub - neither have ever been there .

I have been swapping the bunnies out so they both have the run of the neutral room . I’ve also let them in each other’s cages (without the other there) and swapped their litter trays - is this ok ?

Will it make the area more neutral ?

I did wonder whether I would have to get the male neutered first . I think that would be best .

It will mean that they live side by side in this regular swapping scenario for around 2 months - is that too long ?

Do you think my female will just be happier in herself knowing there’s another bunny next to her ?

She’s not aggressive towards him .

The thought of her being lonely after her mates death is the worst part :(
I really wouldn't use the bathtub, I know some people suggest it, but they can slip and really injure themselves x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

At the end of the day, to coin a phrase, you are the best person to decide what is the right way as you are present with them. You don't want them to be aggressive though as that will hinder any future bond, but if both seen happy with what you are doing, then that's ok. It is often best to be patient with rabbits and although she may be missing her friend it doesn't necessarily mean she will accept another rabbit easily. I am sorry you lost a rabbit.

Thanks , I’m just very nervous and I don’t want the baby to be hurt .

He should be a lot bigger and older by the time he’s completed neuter and recovery so hopefully they’ll be ok .

The new bunny is flopped in the litter tray whilst the other is eating her hay in her litter tray with only a cage door between them - that’s a good sign right ?!

Disaster (almost !) struck this morning !

I thought the baby was hiding in his box as his usually is so I opened his cage to take out his food bowl .

Mabel was in the main area .

The baby ran past me in to the main area and was out with Mabel .

Mabel ran to him and was gently nipping but the baby was so skittish he kept running and she kept chasing and nipping.

I was trying to catch them both but it all got a bit chaotic !

The baby was thumping and doing a high pitched grunting (not screaming) whilst I’m trying to catch him.

He was so stressed out and was jumping all over . In the end he froze and Mabel was trying to contact his nose before she lay down next to him and tried to put her head under his head .

The poor baby didn’t know what to do but I managed a to scoop him up .

He’s not hurt but is very upset .

Have I totally messed up bonding now?

honestly, with bonding I've found it to be a breeze when they can be next to one another. she's likely a little upset and hurt about losing her friend, so she might be a bit territorial. he is also a "strange outsider" to her, I figure once she realises he means no harm they should be fine.

until he can be neutered, having them live side by side would be the best scenario. they're not bonded, but both of them can see one another which may help some. it will also aid in the bonding process.

usually for bonding introductions I recommend a thick pair of gloves on both hands and a small neutral pen. get some puppy panels and set up a 1x1 in an area they do not go, the bathroom perhaps. place both in there with some hay and see what happens, upon any fights separate. to begin with keep it short at 5-10 minute sessions and slowly up the time. its also always better to end on a positive note, eg them both ignoring one another, than ending on a fight.

as the bonding sessions get longer and longer, its time to start thinking about increasing the space. do it slowly, so go from a 1x1 to 2x2. if they argue, head back to a 1x1. eventually you'll be able to leave them alone in the pen without any worries. at that point, it is then time to start neutralising the pens with bleach and disinfectant. once that has been completed, you'll need to slowly introduce them to the new area. don't give them a 6ft pen suddenly all to themselves, this could break the bond. once again start out with a smaller space and increase it.

some others suggest a large space with plenty of toys/places to hide but I've found this creates more problems than it helps in my experience.

you could use the bath to bond if you place down a large thick blanket so they can not slip, but I'd be worried it would be too big and awkward. a pen might be easier

Last edited:
sorry, I didn't see your other post.

I don't think you have messed up with bonding, however it may now be harder. it is just best to keep them away from one another. I appreciate that this was a mistake, however the more these incidents happen (two now) without time being taken, serious injuries could be inflicted and it may become harder to bond. keep them away from any contact without the bars between them until his is neutered. bonding needs to be taken slowly.

Thank you .

I’ve set them up side by side now but I’ve also added a protective pen around the baby so if he runs out his cage , he won’t actually be out in the main area .

I’m going to keep them completely separated until a few weeks after he is neutered .

My bun I’ve just lost wasn’t ready for neutering until 20 weeks old so I could be in this side by side setup for another 3.5 months!

Do you think that is ok or too long ?

Will they grow more accustomed to each other over that time ?

Thank you .

I’ve set them up side by side now but I’ve also added a protective pen around the baby so if he runs out his cage , he won’t actually be out in the main area .

I’m going to keep them completely separated until a few weeks after he is neutered .

My bun I’ve just lost wasn’t ready for neutering until 20 weeks old so I could be in this side by side setup for another 3.5 months!

Do you think that is ok or too long ?

Will they grow more accustomed to each other over that time ?

It will be ok for this long and they should grow more accustomed with sight and smell of one another. Just keep an eye on their behaviour whilst living side by side as any signs of aggression can make it harder in the long run.

they will most definitely become more accustomed to one another over that time, not a sense of you'll be able to throw them together, but they should be a little more friendly. they'll be more neutral and probably see one another as less of a threat.

its really buck dependant, my Orion was neutered at just gone 5 months, my other buck Snoopy wasn't ready until 6 months. I've heard others being ready at 3 months. it really a case of when their little friends decide to show up :lol:

Hopefully his little friends appear sooner rather than later ! Although I’m so nervous about bonding as I’m scared one will get hurt .

Do you think my Mabel will be comforted by the baby being near by ?

She’s grieving for her lost mate , hasn’t eaten much for days but is getting bits and pieces and still drinking water .

Will the fact she has someone of her own kind near her be a help to her ? Even though they’re not bonded ?

Rabbits are strange creatures and don't always think like us. I find the best way with a rabbit who has lost a friend is to just give them time to become used to being alone and treat them gently, then they are ok. So, maybe you got the baby slightly early and it might help your female I don't know. Just keep them separated now and hopefully he will be able to be neutered from 12 weeks on, depending on your Vet.

I think you’re right , I probably did rush in to it because I panicked thinking she would be really sad .

Saying that , I love the new baby already and I’m pleased I have him .

I’m just going to take it really slow and see what happens after his neuter .

Back