Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie - Will this pair likely bond?

Default Newbie - Will this pair likely bond?

My boy bunny died a few days ago

He went in for a neuter and they didnít even manage to start the op as a few minutes in , his heart stopped and they couldnít revive him

He was only 6 months old and has left behind his litter mate Mabel . A 6 month old female.

Iíve already got another new bunny boy as I didnít want her to become depressed. I can tell sheís sad - only eating small amounts etc but sheís not moping and is very interested in Caramel (new boy).

Caramel is a tiny 9 week old , unneutered lion head lop.

I got it very wrong at first and set up Caramels cage next to Mabelís in the spot she lived in with my passed bunny - she would lunge at Caramel and try to chew through the bars .

Mabel also got in to Caramels pen when I was cleaning litter where she sniffed and ignored him at first but then she attacked him (he wasnít hurt luckily ).

So I scrubbed and disinfected Mabelís cage and toys and bought a new litter tray.

Now Iíve set them up in their cages in a room new to them both - side by side but also with areas one can run away to etc.

Their litter trays and hay racks are next to each other separated by cage bars .

So far Mabel has tried to nip Caramel through the bars a few times ; heís a bit bold so keeps going back so I donít think sheís doing it too hard .

Theyíve sat in their respective litter trays and groomed themselves.

Mabel is now sniffing and nose touching whilst trying to nip but also might just sniff and then turn away .

When Caramel runs past, Mabel might try to follow by chasing after him in her cage.

I piled up some hay on either side of the bars and they were both eating it near each other.

Iím planning to keep this set up for 2 weeks but I wanted to know if these are positive signs?

Mabel is spayed

Wise Old Thumper

Your female will be becoming territorial over this new area so have you somewhere neutral to introduce them? Also in a few weeks the boy might start to pester the girl and she might get annoyed. A lot of folk would advise you to keep them separated completely until the boy is neutered, then introduce them in a neutral space. It has to be where your female hasn't been. Keeping them completely separate means they can't get aggressive with one another through the bars as this could hinder their future bonding. Females are very territorial to the point where it can prevent them from accepting a new friend.

I plan to introduce them in the bath tub - neither have ever been there .

I have been swapping the bunnies out so they both have the run of the neutral room . Iíve also let them in each otherís cages (without the other there) and swapped their litter trays - is this ok ?

Will it make the area more neutral ?

I did wonder whether I would have to get the male neutered first . I think that would be best .

It will mean that they live side by side in this regular swapping scenario for around 2 months - is that too long ?

Do you think my female will just be happier in herself knowing thereís another bunny next to her ?

Sheís not aggressive towards him .

The thought of her being lonely after her mates death is the worst part

Quote Originally Posted by NewBunnyNewbie View Post
    I plan to introduce them in the bath tub - neither have ever been there .

I have been swapping the bunnies out so they both have the run of the neutral room . Iíve also let them in each otherís cages (without the other there) and swapped their litter trays - is this ok ?

Will it make the area more neutral ?

I did wonder whether I would have to get the male neutered first . I think that would be best .

It will mean that they live side by side in this regular swapping scenario for around 2 months - is that too long ?

Do you think my female will just be happier in herself knowing thereís another bunny next to her ?

Sheís not aggressive towards him .

The thought of her being lonely after her mates death is the worst part
    I really wouldn't use the bathtub, I know some people suggest it, but they can slip and really injure themselves x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Oh ok I didnít know that , Iíll set them up a run outside instead .

They havenít ventured outside yet

Wise Old Thumper

At the end of the day, to coin a phrase, you are the best person to decide what is the right way as you are present with them. You don't want them to be aggressive though as that will hinder any future bond, but if both seen happy with what you are doing, then that's ok. It is often best to be patient with rabbits and although she may be missing her friend it doesn't necessarily mean she will accept another rabbit easily. I am sorry you lost a rabbit.

Thanks , Iím just very nervous and I donít want the baby to be hurt .

He should be a lot bigger and older by the time heís completed neuter and recovery so hopefully theyíll be ok .

The new bunny is flopped in the litter tray whilst the other is eating her hay in her litter tray with only a cage door between them - thatís a good sign right ?!

Wise Old Thumper

As long as they are relaxed near one another then this is a good sign.