• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit nappies and wee scold ?

Hi Mighty Max, I didn't think I would be able to, then I picked Honey up to give her a bath then she just done a wee allover the floor so I got 2 spoons and managed to salvage and scoop into a sample pot hope fully the result are back soon, Im taking her to the vets again today at 5pm I just need help with he, Im worried about her poos they are to small, and she is losing more fur due to the scald. Im worried incase they advise putting her to sleep, I don't want her to get worse and suffer but if she has a chance of fighting it and having a good quality of life. I was researching old threads on the site and I came across a post from a few years ago and some rabbits had been to see a lady called Caroline who did acupuncture on poorly bunnies and they had recovered well so I replied to the old thread but the admin had reposted it as a new thread. x

Yes I spotted that thread :D

You can PM me your location in London and I will try and help.
I know several vets who I would recommend to do acupuncture :)

Can you use vet bed at all, as it's brilliant at wicking away the moisture and keeping a bunny dry until you get this sorted?
This kind of thing ..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000UGJ...=9045940&hvtargid=pla-422204863865&th=1&psc=1

Wishing you luck at the vet later and let me know how you both get on x

Update on Honey, the second vet I saw today advised us to put Honey to sleep, he seems to think that the medication isn’t working quick enough and she has deteriorated in the last week, we could either carry on and hope the medications catch up with her but it’s not definate or to let her go. I’d hate to give up on her if there’s a chance but I don’t want her to be miserable and to get worse. He wanted to do it there and then but I’ve brought her homeXx

Update on Honey, the second vet I saw today advised us to put Honey to sleep, he seems to think that the medication isn’t working quick enough and she has deteriorated in the last week, we could either carry on and hope the medications catch up with her but it’s not definate or to let her go. I’d hate to give up on her if there’s a chance but I don’t want her to be miserable and to get worse. He wanted to do it there and then but I’ve brought her homeXx

I'm really sorry to read this :(

Have the blood test results come back yet?
Is Honey on antbiotics? She possibly has a Urinary Tract Infection on top?

Hi, all I heard from the results was she’s a definate for E cunili and there was inflammation and the wee sample was normal xx

I am sorry. Sometimes despite the best treatment and nursing care a Rabbit will be unable to recover or at least improve enough to have a reasonable quality of life.

I do not know if reading these will be of any help to you

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/quality-of-life.html

https://rabbit.org/journal/2-8/quality-of-life.html

Hi, all I heard from the results was she’s a definate for E cunili and there was inflammation and the wee sample was normal xx

I'm glad the sample was normal. The Metacam should hopefully begin to relieve the inflammation, over time.
There may then be progress in her condition.

This is a good site for all things relating to your rabbit including the urine scald:

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/urine-scald.html

PM me anytime if I can do anything :wave:

We put our Honeyto sleep this morning, I made myself a bed on the floor with her last night and we gave her a good last day she managed to eat her favourite things and she felt the sun on her face, I’m pleased we waited until today because the vet we saw last night at the veterinary college was so clinical and rehearsed about putting her to sleep it just didn’t feel right.

I’m so sorry:cry: you did everything you could for her, and I’m sure she knew how loved she was.

Thinking of you xx

Binky free Honey xx

We put our Honeyto sleep this morning, I made myself a bed on the floor with her last night and we gave her a good last day she managed to eat her favourite things and she felt the sun on her face, I’m pleased we waited until today because the vet we saw last night at the veterinary college was so clinical and rehearsed about putting her to sleep it just didn’t feel right.

I'm so sorry to hear this, but you did everything you could and it was your final kindness to her x

Run free Honey :love:

You did what was best for Honey, even if it was heartbreaking for you. That shows true love. Sometimes, despite the very best efforts from Vets and any care we give a Rabbit just cannot get better. Knowing when it was time to let Honey go was both empathetic and loving. It was not 'giving up' on her, it was doing right by her.

Binky Free Honey Bunny :love:

Back