Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Rabbit nappies and wee scold ?

  1. #1

    Default Rabbit nappies and wee scold ?

    Hi, has anyone tried nappies on their rabbits, Iíve read you can get ones that do up from the back which maybe easier than the front Iím just trying to research them for my Honey who has maybe a paralysis problem with her back legs and she has fur loss on back foot which I think may be due to her wee problem Iím washing her every day, also what is good to prevent soreness on the foot I donít want it to get worse for her.
    Any advice is appreciated 🐰🐰x

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    136,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskers1 View Post
    Hi, has anyone tried nappies on their rabbits, Iíve read you can get ones that do up from the back which maybe easier than the front Iím just trying to research them for my Honey who has maybe a paralysis problem with her back legs and she has fur loss on back foot which I think may be due to her wee problem Iím washing her every day, also what is good to prevent soreness on the foot I donít want it to get worse for her.
    Any advice is appreciated ����x
    Hello

    I assume that Honey is under the care of a Vet and that the actual cause of her hind leg paralysis is known and she is receiving appropriate treatment ?

    As Rabbits need to be able to eat their cecotropes wearing nappies is something that there are differing opinions on, even amongst Vets. Also many Rabbits would find wearing a nappy to be stressful and this would add to their problems. Using a nappy on a disabled Rabbit is not something I have ever felt to be appropriate as far as the disabled Rabbits I have cared for goes. But I know some people who claim to have used them on their disabled Rabbit. How successful/beneficial it proved to be I do not know.

    If you can give a few more details about Honey's exact diagnosis and treatment perhaps we can offer some suggestions as to how you can help her

    In the meantime these links may be useful to take a look at :

    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurolo...ls/paresis.htm

    https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-are...ion/e-cuniculi

    http://www.disabledrabbits.com/paralysis.html

    http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...dingRabbit.htm

    You will see that nappies (diapers) are mentioned on here :

    http://www.disabledrabbits.com/urine-scald.html


    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF)- The UK'S biggest and best organisation for Rabbit lovers

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Rabbit Health and Diseases, a list of useful online information

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2- VACCINATION IS ESSENTIAL

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...60#post7041560

  3. #3
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    3,114

    Default

    I used a double layer of towel on puppy pads for my less mobile rabbits, and a very large carrier with a thick layer of fine hay on a puppy pad for a nest area. Hay is quite good at providing a mattress to prevent bed sores and allows urine to wick away. They can also eat it and keep up their fibre intake. Towels worked where the rabbit had some mobility and protected the floor.

    Check twice daily and change / wash as needed. It reduced the amount of bum baths, and clipping the fur makes it easier to keep clean and dry.

    There are various creams you can use on sore legs / feet / bum eg Sudocrem, Bepanthen (nappy creams in the baby section of supermarkets).

    As Jane says, you also need to see a vet to assess what is causing the problem and to provide appropriate treatment on top of the nursing care at home.

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskers1 View Post
    Hi, has anyone tried nappies on their rabbits, Iíve read you can get ones that do up from the back which maybe easier than the front Iím just trying to research them for my Honey who has maybe a paralysis problem with her back legs and she has fur loss on back foot which I think may be due to her wee problem Iím washing her every day, also what is good to prevent soreness on the foot I donít want it to get worse for her.
    Any advice is appreciated 🐰🐰x

    Hi there and welcome to the Forum

    I should take her to see a good, rabbit savvy vet who can then test the urine to make sure Honey doesn't have a Urinary Tract Infection that's causing the wee problem. That can be easily dealt with.

    Harder to know what's going on with the hind leg paresis, and there's some info here:

    http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/paresis.html

    http://www.disabledrabbits.com/paralysis.html

    http://rabbit.org/hind-limb-weakness-in-the-rabbit/

    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurolo...ls/paresis.htm

    http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...?P=A&A=490&S=5


    As for creams to help with the urine scald, these are some recommended ones:

    http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-...nfo/DERBYMSCP/
    Derbymed SCP Spray 200ml is a soothing, antiseptic wound spray that removes excessive moisture from open wounds and aids in the management of cuts, sores and proud flesh.

    This cream has analgesic (pain killing) properties:

    http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-su...am-30ml-p-7773

    This has been recommended by someone on here as very good:

    https://vitaltouch.com/product/natal...m-butter-60ml/


    Lastly, have a look at this very useful website:

    http://www.disabledrabbits.com

  5. #5

    Default

    Hi thank you all, sheís 6 years old, and sheís been referred to the Royal Vet School in Camden we visited this week and she has a CT booked for the 12th, but she has a problem with her right hind leg. We are not sure what it is yet she is eating and drinking like normal, but she is dragging her foot, the other leg is looking the same way, sheís also gets a wet bum and fur loss on her foot which we think is to do with her weeís. I change the toilet twice a day and wash her everyday to clean her, on another thread from years ago I read someone used special nappyís which also helped to heal the foot of her rabbit and so she doesnít wee on her foot. Sheís on meds for pain relief and caniculi just in case. Iíve readapted her home to make it easier for her. Xxx

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskers1 View Post
    Hi thank you all, sheís 6 years old, and sheís been referred to the Royal Vet School in Camden we visited this week and she has a CT booked for the 12th, but she has a problem with her right hind leg. We are not sure what it is yet she is eating and drinking like normal, but she is dragging her foot, the other leg is looking the same way, sheís also gets a wet bum and fur loss on her foot which we think is to do with her weeís. I change the toilet twice a day and wash her everyday to clean her, on another thread from years ago I read someone used special nappyís which also helped to heal the foot of her rabbit and so she doesnít wee on her foot. Sheís on meds for pain relief and caniculi just in case. Iíve readapted her home to make it easier for her. Xxx


    You're welcome


    Do I understand this is Panacur for suspected E.Cuniculi? That's good. Totally a possibility.

    http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/paresis.html

    http://rabbit.org/hind-limb-weakness-in-the-rabbit/

    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurolo...ls/paresis.htm


    It could be arthritis or spinal damage in some way. One of my rabbits had a burst intervertebral disc which came up with exactly the symptoms you're describing.

  7. #7

    Default

    Yeah Panacur and a anti inflammatory, the vet from the refereal vets called to say from her blood tests that were done in the week she has an inflammation and the caniculi result will be back in the week and they are going to do a urine test when she has her CT scan. Iíve just bathed her again and put some Vaseline on her foot for her. Iíve had to put her separate so she can eat because my other rabbit is dominate over food and sometimes she tryís to nip her, and humps her still, also Im going to try and do some physio with my rabbit. 🐰🐰🐰🐰🌸🌸
    Last edited by whiskers1; 01-07-2018 at 11:17 PM.

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskers1 View Post
    Yeah Panacur and a anti inflammatory, the vet from the refereal vets called to say from her blood tests that were done in the week she has an inflammation and the caniculi result will be back in the week and they are going to do a urine test when she has her CT scan. Iíve just bathed her again and put some Vaseline on her foot for her. Iíve had to put her separate so she can eat because my other rabbit is dominate over food and sometimes she tryís to nip her, and humps her still, also Im going to try and do some physio with my rabbit. 🐰🐰🐰🐰🌸🌸

    You seem to have all bases covered.
    Good luck for her ongoing care

  9. #9

    Default

    Just heard back from the Vet School regarding Honey's blood test result and its positive for Ecaniculi my other rabbit will have to be on panacur as well as a precaution, but what else can I do to lessen the effects of Ecaniculi on Honey, Im trying to get her to put on weight as she has lost weight so her immune system will be stronger. xx

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskers1 View Post
    Just heard back from the Vet School regarding Honey's blood test result and its positive for Ecaniculi my other rabbit will have to be on panacur as well as a precaution, but what else can I do to lessen the effects of Ecaniculi on Honey, Im trying to get her to put on weight as she has lost weight so her immune system will be stronger. xx

    To help a rabbit to put on weight you can feed a pinch of porridge oats twice daily, and also add in readigrass to the hay which is higher in calories. Fibafirst sticks are also quite nutritious and good food value:

    https://supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

    You could also think about using echinacea to boost the immune system.

    https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-...-fluid-extract


    Also, don't forget to clean the litter trays with bleach, especially on days 21 and 28 of treatment to disrupt the life cycle of the parasite.
    A 1% - 10% bleach solution held in the litter trays for 30 seconds is sufficient to do this.

    Also, if there are places where urine might have been, try and also clean them, as the spores are transmitted in the urine.

    With regards to Metacam, it's use in E.C. is to control the inflammatory response as the E.C. spores erupt into organ tissue, as this can cause longer term damage. It can also make the clinical symptoms of the condition worse. But all of this needs to be weighed up against the possible side effects of the NSAID, which can include compromising the kidneys. You could discuss this with your vet.

    Lastly - good luck
    Last edited by MightyMax; 04-07-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •